Thread: HELP! He hates it!

Default HELP! He hates it!

I have a 9w old Samoyed, who cannot stand to be brushed. Obviously I have too brush out his under coat or it will mat and cause issues for the both of us! I spent 20 minutes yesterday and my partner held him down but he ended up just getting in the way. I have spent 30 minutes today brushing his little body and he bites and cries and wiggles and it makes it almost impossible to brush him, I don’t want him matting so he’s not in pain, so what do I do?!
    I gave him waaaaay too many treats this morning attempting to distract him but it didn’t really do much.

Hes 9 weeks.
    You have 3 months to train it before grown up coat appears.
    Take a deep breath n chill.
    Some dogs love it. Some need it pairing with an icy pole to lick whilst you groom for 2 mins before you break n play. Then another 2 mins etc.
    Id do it on a table from the off - to save your back too.
    Tough luck - is my approach to solid nerved dog whos new to being groomed. Firm insistance but for low duration. And steak pieces (highest value food reward).
    Ensure you train this prior to meal time. So hes very keen on food.
    Slow n steady. A dollop of nurse ratchet should get you through training him.
    Good luck

Hes 9 weeks.
    You have 3 months to train it before grown up coat appears.
    Take a deep breath n chill.
    Some dogs love it. Some need it pairing with an icy pole to lick whilst you groom for 2 mins before you break n play. Then another 2 mins etc.
    Id do it on a table from the off - to save your back too.
    Tough luck - is my approach to solid nerved dog whos new to being groomed. Firm insistance but for low duration. And steak pieces (highest value food reward).
    Ensure you train this prior to meal time. So hes very keen on food.
    Slow n steady with. A dollop of nurse ratchet should get you through training him.
    Good luck

Ps. Every pup ive had hated it. But soon came to enjoy the time alone in my focus as adults

At 9 weeks he's still so little, you've got plenty of time to figure out brushing.

Bernie's suggestions are good. Perhaps you could find some kind of long lasting treat that he loves that he only gets when you are brushing him... create some positive associations. Grooming him up on a table will also help.

If you are really really struggling and making no progress I'd suggest asking your breeder for help or ask if they can recommend a good groomer who can help you with this.

for when you dont have time to train: stand still whilst i groom
    take dog outside, put it facing a window. Smear peanut butter on the window. Groom whilst dog is distracted.

for when you dont have time to train: stand still whilst i groom
    take dog outside, put it facing a window. Smear peanut butter on the window. Groom whilst dog is distracted licking it off. Smear on bath tiles for bathing dog too

sorry for double posts.
    when i hit post quick reply. I get a message, i have to wait X amount of seconds between posts. Despite it being my first post. So ???

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    sorry for double posts.
    when i hit post quick reply. I get a message, i have to wait X amount of seconds between posts. Despite it being my first post. So ???
    Try going advanced and then posting. See if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    sorry for double posts.
    Yes Bernie the double posts are related to the quick reply feature. Once you've typed up your reply, instead of clicking "Post quick reply" click "go advanced" and then post your reply from there. That seems to stop the double posts.

Thread Information