Thread: Left and right versions of tricks

Default Left and right versions of tricks

Are you always supposed to use a different cue for left and right versions of the same movement? Like a spin? Both my dogs naturally spin in different directions. (They also shake with opposite paws.) If I want to teach them to spin the other way, do I use a different verbal cue? Or could I use the same verbal cue but a different hand cue? Would the hand cue (in this case it evolved from luring) in reverse be too subtle?

And what about something like a weave? Is it fine to use the same cue for left and right leg when you start?

I think I saw a video where the trainer always used different cues, but just wondering if it's strictly necessary. Especially as I'm not aiming for anything overly complex.

I use different hand and verbal queues for spin... but not for rebound. For spins I can use just hand signals... but not just verbal they don’t know the audio that welll. For rebound they seem fine to work it from the hand and position of my body in relation to the target.

For weaving the angle of approach in competition matters a lot so from what I’ve read they use every little bit of body posture and verbal command to make it clear to the dog which way to go.

But if you’re not doing that I don’t see why should bother if you don’t want to? Dogs are much clearer on physical gestures than verbal commands.

It took Banjo ages to do a spin with verbal queue only and she's really quite clever. And it still doesn't work when it's during a training session because she gets too excited and will offer random other behaviours instead. But that's just an indication of how bad I am at the sessions... But I want to keep at it.

I use spin a fair bit on off leash walks. Mainly with Banjo too because she tends to often come to me when I call Rhys and I don't want to really reward her for that, so I make her spin for a treat.

Rhys will probably never get the verbal queue. I have to still half lure him. Which means I have to remember which way he spins! If I do the hand circle in the wrong direction, he's just stumped. And actually, Banjo will only spin if I do the gesture in the right direction, so that answers that question.

I had to Google rebound. I don't think I'd want to teach either of my dogs that because I'd just fall over. Lol

I'll see how I go with the weave when we're ready to move on to the other leg. I've so far only done one side with luring, I'm up to doing it without treat with Banjo and she has done it without the luring movement a couple of times. She is so easy except for her excitement levels that go through the roof. Rather that than the opposite though!

Rhys will probably take about a year to get it. Lol

Should add, my rebound is off a target item e.g a tree or wall, NOT me! I am not that brave, maybe one day

I have a "spin" which is a circle left and a "turn" which is turn into me when beside me... Same as i have a "go around" to go around an item to the left and also a "flip" which is to the right. i am still using my hand and also position of feetLeft foot forward and hand flicking left for "spin" and left foot back and hand flicking right for "turn"...... I also do the same for "go around" I point with my left hand and foot, and the opposite...I use a lot of visual direction in water training.

My weaves are all "left" "right" instructions as i really want my dogs to know what left and right means for Drafting and waterworks, so it gets used in our agility fun stuff
    Pets are forever

Id go with different words for L and R also.
    I get confused as we have english commands for home, german for IPO and lately french for e collar.
    She's able to blow me off in 3 languages now lol

I get confused as we have english commands for home, german for IPO and lately french for e collar.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    I have enough issues with left and right
    Pets are forever

Thread Information