Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: second puppy, shouldn't have but done

Default second puppy, shouldn't have but done

I didn't plan on a second puppy until Mindy was older and trained up a bit, but the opportunity to get a red healer came up, went and had a look, the pup ran strait up and on our way home I felt guilty, shouldn't look. she has a full health certificate, so no blindness, full pedigree, gorgeous. Introduced her to Mindy who just wanted to play..Heidi has a great personality which is good.

I let them play and watched Mindy very closely. A little jealousy set in, when it came to picking up the pup, I was expecting that. She can start puppy prep on Thursday evening and I'll get as much advise I can, Mindy's puppy school is on Sunday. She slept in a crate last night and I feed her in there as well.

She is good this morning, Mindy let her play with one of her toys, which she wouldn't do yesterday.

Congrats on the new pup!! Pictures?

I think as long as looking after Mindy is reasonably easy and she's okay on basic obedience, it's fine to get a second dog. The dogs are introduced well so it sounds great!!

Mindy is adjusting, today there is the jealousy with the pup wanting our attention which i was expecting as Mindy has had all the attention, loves and demands it. the puppy wants this too, Mindy tried everything to block the pup from us. ( first night). This morning was the test as Mindy wakes me up and we go out side, then I take her for a walk. but Heidi climbed out of her crate to join ( I bought a proper crate today) Heidi immediately wanted attention which upset Mindy but she calmed down and we went out to the yard and watched them play. Mindy gets inbetween us and the pup when the pup wants to come to us. i did some out time and left the pup with my elderly uncle who I care for, and spent time with Mindy, then swapped over....I watched Cesar Millans videos I used his technique to calm Mindy when her excitement estimated, (works) what would we do without you tube lol. At the moment they are playing tug of war with a rope, I think they will be fine, it's just the human interaction,
    I don't want Mindy to feel less, and I need the pup to feel just as secure, so I am open to any advice.....The dog club I am in will also help immensely, they assessed Mindy within a couple of minutes as highly sensitive, where I thought she was highly condifedent. When i take Heidi for pup prep school on Thursday night, they will assess her.

Because I run working dogs I often have between 4 and 6 dogs at anyone time. I remember a few years ago having 3 similar age youngsters at the same time. It wasn't planned because I had the one puppy from the lines I had been waiting for for and then suddenly within months 2 young working dogs of the same age needed rescuing from bad situations. I crate train them all and I spend a lot of individual training time with each as well as working with the older dogs that I also had. They watch me train with each of them in turn. Bonding separately with each and putting basic obedience and foundations such as shaping in place. Also going out on fun walks all together. I try and bring a fair bit of structure when they are young.

Dogs can become a bit competitive over their human but I found if I had really good foundation skills and obedience training in place and treat them all fairly but at the same time not putting up with any nonsense that for the most part they get on.

Yes ^ keep up on your foundation skills, treat them fairly, accept that their might be a bit of upset over the new routine but as they get used to it, it should fade. Routine is very important, so try and establish the one you would like to have (+ lots of potty breaks haha!).

I find the first few months the most hectic, as we're all working each other out and getting into a new groove. You can push through it!

I didn't crate train Mindy (wish I had) but I am with Heidi, howled most of the night last night, Mindy slept beside the crate.
    Heidi has only had one injection, so we can start walking around the front yard only. she's a lot heavier than Mindy, won't be able to pick her up for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    I didn't crate train Mindy (wish I had) but I am with Heidi, howled most of the night last night, Mindy slept beside the crate.
    Heidi has only had one injection, so we can start walking around the front yard only. she's a lot heavier than Mindy, won't be able to pick her up for too long.
    I have my crated puppies next to my bed initially. Generally stops any howling and I can tell when they are getting restless for a toilet break in the night

I keep her beside my bed of a night Kalacreek, and Mindy sleeps beside the crate, she woke up this morning about 3:00am so I took them outside for a pee, then back in the crate where she went back to sleep. Spoke to one of the people at Moorabin dog club as well, there so good.

Congrats on new pup! I have multi dogs. So there have of course been multi pups. Prior to competition training. I was self taught trainer. Once i joined a training club- i was advised of why multi pups is a bad idea. I listened politely and continued doing things my way - as i had never experienced things suggested. E.g. 2 dogs = 2 half trained dogs. That dogs would become "doggy" and learn they dont pay attention to me. The only truth i heard was: 2 sets of vaccs = more $$$$.
    I live a routine life- honed to my preferences with regard to dogs. And as states above- spend time training alone and together in the pack. they must stay in crate n watch whilst i train another dog then swap. I used to fret that i rarely could achieve low distraction time. Now i accept its bloody hectic at times and still they must obey. Takes longer- but they are living in high distraction world- so gwt over it.

Thanks Burnie, I have no regrets and glad I didn’t pass up the younger one. They play well together, have there squabbles but I don’t have to intervene, I just had to make sure I didn’t break Mindy’s routine and give the new one more attention, and it has worked out well, and they both burn of a lot of energy together in the back yard. I didn’t tell anyone I was getting the second one until I got her home then posted a pic on FB. The obedient school were ok with it, there are a couple there that had multiple pups, that became really good competing dogs.

I walk Mindy and take her to the beach of a morning, I do a lot of her training away from the house, Heidi hasn’t had her third vacc yet so her training is in the back yard, and I leave Mindy inside with my elderly uncle, but might start doing what you do and leave one in the crate to watch, thanks for that tip.

When Heidi has her third vacc and starts obedient classes, I will just have to alternate them between Sunday’s

Thread Information