Thread: Sad tragic Story, careful of ball sizes

Default Sad tragic Story, careful of ball sizes

Pasted this from the dog club face book that Mindy goes to, can’t imagine how the owner is feeling. The dog was a beautiful German shepherd. Mindy can now fit her ball in her mouth now, so I will be upgrading. Sharing this, as things can happen and happen fast.

This is my gorgeous girl Aisha at only 1yr 11 mths who passed yesterday in tragic circumstances. Please all pet owners be aware of the dangers of balls and their dogs. Aisha loved to chase balls. No day passed without us throwing her favourite red one. Unfortunately yesterday this ball became lodged in her throat and despite all efforts we were unable to dislodge it. She died in my arms and I don't want her death to be in vain. PLEASE ENSURE THE BALLS YOU USE ARE OF A SIZE THAT CAN'T BECOME LODGED IN THEIR THROATS.

Friends newfie passed the same way about 6 months ago... we do not do balls, unless huge
    Pets are forever

Me too now, I can't imagine how the owners felt.

Very sad to hear that... um I suppose now is not the time to say that Cedar can fit two balls in his mouth....

We were playing fetch with my friend's Lab at his place yesterday with a rubber ball, and all of a sudden the ball was stuck in its throat and the dog appeared out of breath. My friend quickly grabbed his jaws while I tried to get the ball out. Luckily the ball had a hole in it so I was able to stick my finger through it to hook it out (while his wife were running around and screaming in the background). Seriously that was the scariest 45 second of our lives.

I was googling about these accidents today and came across this forum, had to register just to share this - we were so lucky the ball had a hole in the middle! Otherwise the dog may not be alive today.

Make sure the ball is either BIG enough or it has a HOLE on it!!!!!!

put all balls in a sock or only use the gripper balls.....scary situation, you did well to keep cool whilst others were screaming
    Pets are forever

Oh yeah, old sock is a good idea, will tell them that

Actually I was totally ready to join the screaming, somehow I had just enough consciousness left in me to get the ball out (rather than pushing it further in). My hands were still shaking about half an hour later tho

Juice inhaled her ball on a rope. It had a hole in middle like a doughnut for air should a dog swallow one. 2 safety features touted by brand to make this ball safer (air hole n being on a rope) do not work. Ball lodged in her trachia facing wrong way so no air supply and throat swelled so fast you couldnt pull it out. 100km per hr to vet- temp emergency anaesthetic got it out. She trusted me enough to allow me to keep the ball facing right way to allow air. Sadly my hubby tried 1st n she bit the hell out of him. She lived. New balls are all too large to enter a gsd airway.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    Juice inhaled her ball on a rope. It had a hole in middle like a doughnut for air should a dog swallow one. 2 safety features touted by brand to make this ball safer (air hole n being on a rope) do not work. Ball lodged in her trachia facing wrong way so no air supply and throat swelled so fast you couldnt pull it out. 100km per hr to vet- temp emergency anaesthetic got it out. She trusted me enough to allow me to keep the ball facing right way to allow air. Sadly my hubby tried 1st n she bit the hell out of him. She lived. New balls are all too large to enter a gsd airway.

Gosh that would freak me out. I look for all dangers in toys now, all stuffed toys and all toys that have squeaks in them, which was advised at the end of puppy prep, they told us all to get rid of them now. They have been replaced with short knotted ropes, bigger stronger balls, my dogs love playing tug of war with each other, so I made sure the ropes weren’t long enough to get round one of pups necks and get dragged by the other. Though there preference is a sock or tee shirt if they can get them.

Thread Information