Thread: How long for whiskers to grow back?

Default How long for whiskers to grow back?

The groomer clipped them way back on one side. I'm super annoyed at them for shaving his penis and his whiskers. Especially the whiskers. I was very clear that I wanted his whiskers left alone and only the feet trimmed.

I'm not going back. Don't know if worth it to make a complaint but seriously wtf. Stop ****ing shaving EVERYTHING.

How long until I get his wonky whiskers back do you think?

:/

So unnecessary!
    Last edited by ThistleTheDog; 02-04-2018 at 07:49 PM.

For many groomers shaving whiskers is standard practice for spaniels... Shaving penis/groin is also standard practice for all dogs unless requested otherwise (we call it a sanitary trim). Unfortunately some groomers aren't good at listening to owners requests

A complaint is probably worth it if you can be bothered, that at least tells these groomers they've stuffed up and hopefully they'd learn something from that.

Whiskers will be back before you know it! They grow faster than hair does. I haven't got a good picture to show it but I shave Finn's face (including whiskers) with a #40 blade in reverse which is about 0.3mm length (VERY short). 2 weeks of growth and Finn's whiskers are noticeably sticking out longer than the hair re-growth... 0.5 to 1cm at a guess.

I thought I was very clear on what I wanted due to handing a piece of paper with what I did want done written on it :/

I'm not happy at all. I think I will have to complain. They're attached to a store I go to a lot but I'm super unhappy that they would go outside of my requests.

Just wanted his feet shaved and his feathers neatened up ffs. I even SAID to leave his whiskers alone!

I miss big long one with the cute crinkle in it he had the cutest long flowing whiskers and now it's prickly stubbles

Presumably his shaved penus will grow back alright too? That's just ugly on him
    Last edited by ThistleTheDog; 02-05-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Yup his penis hair will grow back just fine, that may take a little longer, but again it won't really take that long.

I find the fact they only did one side a bit odd... perhaps they started clipping out of habit and then remembered what you said about leaving the whiskers so they stopped... if that is the case, they should have explained to you what happened.

Yes that is my thinking, they got halfway then went WAIT WOOPS. BUT, if they had fessed up at the start about it being a mind blank i wouldnt have to call up to let them know im unhappy about it.

They tried to give some excuse about how it's done on show dogs and the shaving is for sanitary reasons (he didn't need it! im very proud of how clean ive been keeping him!)

Two weeks of regrowth:

Phew definitely growing faster than his """"sanitary cut""""

the sanitary cut, his fur is growing an odd direction so now it IS collecting the pee. Attempting to brush it into the correct desired angle it was originally where it DIDNT
    Last edited by ThistleTheDog; 02-10-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleTheDog View Post
    Phew definitely growing faster than his """"sanitary cut""""

the sanitary cut, his fur is growing an odd direction so now it IS collecting the pee. Attempting to brush it into the correct desired angle it was originally where it DIDNT
    Yup, whiskers definitely grow faster... us Poodle folk hate it, haha we like our poodles clean shaven 100% of the time

I would tentatively say that once his sanitary area has grown back to its original length, it won't be a problem any more. Just the shortness it currently is at is causing it to go awkward directions.

Just be glad it wasn't his ears or feathering! I cut Finn's ears short ages ago, regretted it instantly and it's taken 9 months to grow back to the length it was originally!!

omg if they had shaved his ears or feathers or tail omg D: D: that happened to a friend of mine in tralgon, she took the dog in to be washed and neatened up and came back to a shaved dog!

i am keeping his ears shorter than your average springer, basically following the shape of his current ear - but i like the scruff fluff! He's in such a fluffy stage right now, i want to enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleTheDog View Post
    omg if they had shaved his ears or feathers or tail omg D: D: that happened to a friend of mine in tralgon, she took the dog in to be washed and neatened up and came back to a shaved dog!

i am keeping his ears shorter than your average springer, basically following the shape of his current ear - but i like the scruff fluff! He's in such a fluffy stage right now, i want to enjoy it
    I know a groomer who shaves things without owner consent... I don't understand the concept, just creates problems for everyone. If I feel something needs shaving and I think the owner might have an issue with it, I call them to check first.

Update! 3 weeks in and whiskers definitely grow much faster than other fur. I'm so relieved. He almost looks like a walrus again. Phew. My little buddy is looking like him again

Thread Information