Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by margoo View Post
    But for now, we're just making the most of it. Since moving to the country both dogs have lost a lot of their freedom. Grumpy wildlife with big claws, dumb lambs who don't understand 'fences' and armed, fox-baiting farmers mean they spent most of their days indoors nowadays. Not sure who invented the fairytale that countrylife is great for dogs. I guess it is for some working dogs but for ours the opposite is true. I try to make it up on the weekends taking them on long walks. This picture is from two weeks ago when I took them on a railway track not far from us. We walked over 2 hours, sending them both to sleep for 24 hours straight afterwards...
    Unfortunately that can be the case for some dogs, not always though.

We live on 30 acres and it's always been awesome for the dogs. Gives us the freedom to create a fenced backyard as large as we want, so the dogs have a massive backyard. I can walk them off leash without worries of off leash dogs or idiot people harassing us. And Dodge my parents Kelpie is trained to never ever set foot off the property so she has free run of the place 24/7 and she loves it.

I think it depends a bit on what area you are in, what your dogs are like and what your neighbours are like.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. I wish our dogs understood what these flimsy fences around our yard mean. But they're no match for two adventurous dogs and since we're only renting we'll just have to put up with them for now. Nero wouldn't wander off very far, but Rox will wander great distances just to pick up a snack she wasn't allowed to eat on our walk. She'll remember exactly where it was... for days if needed... waiting for her chance! More than once I had to go out looking for her and found her halfway home, carrying a large kangaroo leg or (once) a sheep skull. I wasn't too worried until one of our neighbours confirmed they're baiting. Not good... so they're grounded for the time being.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. I wish our dogs understood what these flimsy fences around our yard mean. But they're no match for two adventurous dogs and since we're only renting we'll just have to put up with them for now. Nero wouldn't wander off very far, but Rox will wander great distances just to pick up a snack she wasn't allowed to eat on our walk. She'll remember exactly where it was... for days if needed... waiting for her chance! More than once I had to go out looking for her and found her halfway home, carrying a large kangaroo leg or (once) a sheep skull. I wasn't too worried until one of our neighbours confirmed they're baiting. Not good... so they're grounded for the time being.
    Ah yes it would be harder if you're renting

Our dogs will go through barb wire fences. If we want to keep dogs in/out we use chicken wire with wooden posts and wood along the top... seems to hold my dogs in, but I imagine a very determined dog would get out if they wanted to.

How is Finnick going on with country life? He looks like such a mismatch with his very fancy colourscheme

How is Finnick going on with country life? He looks like such a mismatch with his very fancy colourscheme

Yes he is not your average farm dog! He loves it though, he thinks chasing our 9 ducks is great fun! (his prey drive is completely insane). He loves to run around in the mud and get absolutely filthy. Internally he is a great fit for a farm... he just doesn't look it on the outside! I still somehow manage to keep him looking reasonably fancy though, haha... This is his current look

33963869_2127094157310014_616501091726524416_n.jpg

That's a pretty impressive farm dog I can see the sheep going 'What the...?!?!' Is he working too? That would be so much fun having him run a working dog trial in this outfit...

Thread Information