Thread: 2nd Dog do we get a male or female

Default 2nd Dog do we get a male or female

We currently have a 4 year old friendly small english bulldog. We originally had her sister also but she passed away when she was 1.5 years old. We are getting a new bulldog in a few months and are unsure if we should get a female or male. Does any one have experience with mixing sexes?

I've always read the best combo is a boy and a girl, next best is two boys and the worst option is two girls.

I have no experience as to how accurate it is. I started off with a female dog, 6 years later I got a male dog, another 6 years later I got another male... all of them get along great.

I love both sexes – so - have one of each at my place. I find this combination works best for me.

Female pups are not called ‘bitches’ for no reason. Sometimes they will fight. When that happens – it tends to be full on. They neither forgive nor forget. The only way to have these 2 on the property is to keep them separate – which completely defeats the purpose of having 2 pups !

Girls usually rule the ‘roost’ and I find the boys just cruise along. I have never had a problem between any of my pups.

I went with a boy to join my girl because, as above, everyone said mixed genders work best.

Now I'm not so sure...I think it's his chill attitude that has them getting along, as opposed to his gender. For the third dog, I don't think I will care for gender and just look out for that confident chill laid back personality I need that will mesh with my uptight tense dog. Think I'd personally prefer a girl but I'll take the one with the personality and brains that fits.

On the plus side, boys are much cheaper/easier to get desexed when the time comes...

I've been fostering for a few years and had a female dog of my own from the start. I didn't notice a big difference with male or female fosters. Age and temperament played a bigger role in how well my dog got on with them. Though after an initial adaptation period, she really did get on with all of them except for the dingo that drove everyone mad.

So I think the mixed sexes advice might play more of a role for some dogs than for others?

PS: We did adopt a second dog who is male. They get on just fine, but aren't the best match in terms of playfulness and assertiveness. It's not a big deal though as there's no conflict as such.

Go with mix sexes. Both will be happy

I have always had 2-4 females on my team of working dogs and they have always worked out best for me. My 2 males hate each other and that was the worst with several visits to the vets after fights. The girls and boys in my team get on well but the females have their all girl exclusive club and they just love each other will often curl up and play with each other and ignore the males when they try and join in or sometimes chase them off.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 12-04-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Default 2nd Dog do we get a male or female

I agree with the worst combination is female.

Having said that, in hindsight now that I think about it, all my dogs when I was growing up were all female of various breeds and ages. at one time for about 7-8 years, I had a GSD, a maltese, a rough collie, a chihuahua, and an unknown (rescue) breed that looked like a Puli im pretty sure. Anyway they all got along very well, I was just lucky.
    i have a 5.5 month old female GSD now and I'm going to get a male in 2019. thetes no way i'll get a second female, mines already bitchy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well I have four bitches and one male.... Training and keeping dogs occupied. never have any issues.

until recently we had two boys and the four girls and at "heat" time that was a huge issue.

I like the girls...

I think boy/girl is most likely the easiest
    Pets are forever

Quote Originally Posted by von1976 View Post
    I agree with the worst combination is female.

Having said that, in hindsight now that I think about it, all my dogs when I was growing up were all female of various breeds and ages. at one time for about 7-8 years, I had a GSD, a maltese, a rough collie, a chihuahua, and an unknown (rescue) breed that looked like a Puli im pretty sure. Anyway they all got along very well, I was just lucky.
    i have a 5.5 month old female GSD now and I'm going to get a male in 2019. thetes no way i'll get a second female, mines already bitchy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My family have always had multiple bitches with no problems at all. My worst combination was 2 males! My friend had a male dog and her second dog was a bitch. The bitch even as a puppy wanted to dominate. Unfortunately she grew bigger than the older male and bullied him to such an extent that he became very stressed but being the older dog he wouldn't back down so my friend had to rehome the bitch before something terrible happened. I think it often has more to do with personalities than with gender.

Thread Information