Thread: Maltese Dog, Brown Eye Stains

Default Maltese Dog, Brown Eye Stains

G'day,
    I have a young Maltese Dog. For some reason it is getting these brown stains under each eye. I took him to the Vet and they sold me some Fido's Tear Stain Remover. I have been using it for over one week but the stains are still there.
    Please could somebody tell me how I can remove these stains.
    Cheers Perry

Very common in fluffy white dogs. How old is this dog? Sometimes tear staining can be caused by teething and will clear up as the pup matures.

Tear stain remover helps a little but won't solve the problem. If it really really bothers you, keep your dog's face shaved short so there isn't much hair to get stained. Or at least next time you go to the groomers, ask them to really clear out the corner of the dogs eyes.

I've heard avoiding plastic food and water bowls can help. Or not using tap water, good diet... there are so many things people say that worked for them. But there is no one definite way to solve the issue.

My dog had horrible tear staining up until about 6 or 7 months old when it just cleared up on its own once teething was over.

I had 2 Maltese about 20 years ago. They both had tear staining which I tried to remove with that fido's stuff but it didn't work too well. I finally gave up and just let it go pink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'day,
    Thank you for your replies. My dog is 14 month old. I really do not want to have his face shaved as it will spoil the look of his beautiful face. A friend told my wife that bathing the eyes with cold fresh milk should help. I tried that last evening it seemed to have worked a little better than the Fido's Eye Stain.
    Cheers Perry

Default Eye Stain

G'day,
    Thank you for your replies. My dog is 14 month old. I really do not want to have his face shaved as it will spoil the look of his beautiful face. A friend told my wife that bathing the eyes with cold fresh milk should help. I tried that last evening it seemed to have worked a little better than the Fido's Eye Stain.
    Cheers Perry

I've read in here maybe - that putting a couple of drops of "apple vinegar with mother" into your dog's drinking water helps.

No idea why or if it works but it's pretty cheap to try.

It's possible that the diet has something to do with it. Tho I don't know if there is a difference between tear stains in dogs that eat mostly raw meat compared to ones that eat mostly dry food.

I do notice a difference in the burnt patches in the lawn - ie when my dog is on home made dog food - no burn marks from toxic dog pee. When she's on dry - we could use her pee for weed killer. And toxins or excess chemicals come out in tears too hence my thought about diet having something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post

I do notice a difference in the burnt patches in the lawn - ie when my dog is on home made dog food - no burn marks from toxic dog pee. When she's on dry - we could use her pee for weed killer. And toxins or excess chemicals come out in tears too hence my thought about diet having something to do with it.
    Keen to know how to stop the burn marks on my lawn. If im out there and my pup pees, i water it down with a hose straight away. Its only when she’s out there by herself and i dont know when or where she’s peed that i cant do this. So what do you mean by homemade food? Do you mean raw, or something rlse? Mine is currently on royal canin puppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Von1976

I make my own dog food ie 1kg roo mince, some water, cooked rice, oats, vegies (carrots and sweet potato or pumpkin or whatever) etc... Make about 10 serves at a time.

And I supplement that with nutro natural choice lamb and rice dry dog food - but if she only gets the dry - we get burn marks.

I think feeding all raw food or raw plus veges etc would also reduce the burn marks... Or maybe if you encourage your dog to drink more water eg mine will drink more if I mix a spoonful of yogurt into 300ml water... she also pees more. I find the mix very helpful when we're travelling and she won't drink water.

All I know is that 100% dry keeps your dog alive but sheesh... more burn marks and more crap (actually the worst craps are from 100% tinned food so don't ever go there).

Thread Information