Thread: Help! My dog keeps jumping against our fence?

Default Help! My dog keeps jumping against our fence?

Hi,

I have a 1.5 y/o German Shepherd that keeps jumping against our metal fence (and creates dents in the fence + creates a loud 'bang' every time she jumps against it), is there any way to deter her and does anyone have any idea why she does this?

A friend suggested that it might be related to not getting enough physical and mental exercise but we go out for approximately 2 hours a day to go swimming/hiking/walking/etc and we have training time a few times a week so not sure how true that would be. Her kennel's also in the backyard so even though we spend a fair amount of time together, I can't keep an eye on her all day (I also have work) - that aside, she has never jumped against the fence when someone's present, she only does it when she's alone. The only reason we know it's her is because there're marks and dents against the fence and also because my brother caught her once when he was looking out the window.

Please help!

Given she doesn't do it when you're home, I would consider building a second fence inside the first one of mesh or chicken wire so that she can't get to the fence.

My dog - jumps on the fence in front of me when she's excited about what the neighbour is up to. So I go grab her collar, hold it until she's paying attention to me, and then let her go to see what her choice is. If it's a good choice (no jumping on the fence), I can let her be but if it's a bad choice - collar grab again, and then wait, and then release to see what her choice is. Second bad choice and she goes on lead for a while or back inside the house.

Maybe try temping your dog into jumping on the fence by tapping on it yourself and if she jumps on it - grab her collar and hold until attention - and then release and then see if you can get her to do it again. Ie you're teaching her that no matter what happens at the fence - a good choice is to leave the fence alone and a bad one is to jump on it.

You might also want to go talk to your neighbours and ask them to let you know when she's doing this and if they have any ideas what might set her off. Eg their kids or dog or cat in their yard ie after school but before you get home, might be triggering her - and it's not their fault, but it is a training opportunity for you. Ie your neighbours can set up the trigger when you're home and you can practice collar grab and choice... you might have to have her on lead next to the fence the first time and ask them to be small about what they do at first so it's easy for her to make a good choice and then gradually build it up to kid party level...

2 hours a day exercise without any actual training - will never be enough - you will just have super fit destructo dog.

You need to do 5 to 10 minutes (5 mins in the morning and 5 mins in the arvo) of trick training.

Your first trick can be collar grab... ie you grab collar and give the dog a treat, let go, count to 10, repeat x 15 ish... Treats need to be tiny and awesome. Play before your dog's meal times.

Your next trick would be "its yer choice"...

More ideas here.

its yer choice (IYC) for Tim Ferris - the long version of how you do IYC with the red cattle dog mix.
    http://dogsthatlisten.com/tim/

Podcast on dog training with Susan Garrett and Tim Ferris
    http://tim.blog/2016/11/14/susan-garrett/

And I would make peep holes in the fence so she can see out, if the fence is high....... She wants to see what is outside. I did this for a GSD not long ago.... Two letter box size holes at the front of the house and the dog was entertained looking out, to what was there to see
    Pets are forever

Interesting newfsie,

Sometimes I have recommended covering up a fence with shade cloth or something so it can't see out... whether the fence is see thru or not makes no difference to my dog - she hears and maybe sees something on the other side and we've got a training session on our hands. Possibly because I've been a bit slack about training her and allowing her to make her own decisions which I might not like.

Or maybe I do like that everyone knows there is a fierce dog in my yard... I don't let her go on and on tho.

Thread Information