Thread: Struvites

Default Struvites

Does anyone here have a dog that is prone to developing struvite stones in the bladder?

I have a rescue in that has just had one the size of a mandarin removed and I am looking for any experiences and advice people have on this condition.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

you got me curious now about canine struvite stones in the bladder, i did'nt know that happens to doggies, so i just googled it & found some info that maybe of some help for you..

I have a pug that has Bladder stones in his uret... - JustAnswer

I have a pug that has Bladder stones in his urethra is surgery the only answer or is their something that will help dissolve the stones

Dear friend,

Struvite stones are disolvable with diet - calcium oxalate are NOT. However, surgery is recommended for both:

Struvite stone can be removed surgically, removed with a special technique called "voiding urohydropropulsion," or dissolved via diet.

Surgical removal is the most direct method of removal. The advantage is that the stones are removed and healing may commence all in one day. The chief disadvantages are those inherent to surgery: anesthetic risks, post-operative pain, risk of contaminating the abdomen with infected urine, possibility that not all stones will be removed, possibility that the bladder stitches will not properly hold. These risks are generally considered minor and complications associated with "cystotomy" (opening of the urinary bladder) are very unusual.

If the stones present are small enough to pass, the bladder can be manipulated in a way to promote expulsion of the stone through the urethra. This is called "voiding urohydropropulsion" and involves filling the bladder, agitating the bladder so the stones float freely in the urine, and then generating a high pressure urine stream to force the stones out. This technique only works if the stones are small and if there are numerous stones present, often several attempts are needed if this is to be the only means of removal. Often this technique is used to obtain a sample stone for analysis to determine if dietary dissolution is feasible.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Dietary dissolution of the stone is possible with struvite bladder stones. A special food called S/D diet® is made by Hills for the specific purpose of dissolving struvite stones. The food is of a gel-like consistency and may not be palatable to the animal but if dietary dissolution is attempted, S/D must be the only food fed to the dog during the period of dissolution. Antibiotics are needed as long as stones are present in the bladder (bacteria are encrusted within the stone and as the stone dissolves, they are released). On the average, 3 and a half months are needed to dissolve the stone but the diet should be continued for a full month after the stones are no longer visible on radiographs because small stones may be present but not large enough to see. Radiographs are taken monthly to monitor progress. S/D diet is not meant to be continued as a regular diet after the stone has been dissolved; Hills recommends not feeding S/D diet any longer than 6 months. Aside from the long treatment time, an important disadvantage of this approach is the possibility of urinary tract obstruction as the stone gets smaller and an unsuccessful attempt to pass the stone occurs. This is potentially a life-threatening hazard for male dogs as they possess the narrow urethra.

S/D diet is very high in fat and high in salt. It should not be fed to patients at risk for pancreatitis, patients with heart disease, kidney insufficiency, or high blood pressure.

Canine Struvite Bladder Stones

Canine Oxalate Bladder Stones

.................................................. .................................................. .....

Treating Bladder Stones In Dogs - Treating Bladder Stones In Dogs, canine urolithiasis, healthy diet for dog, pet caring, looking for the best veterinarian

Dogs are very prone to developing bladder stones. This disease in dogs is very much like the bladder stones that are suffered by humans. In dogs, certain minerals block the flow of urine in the urethra, causing pained exertion of liquid wastes. These solidified minerals are alternatively called uroliths, stones, or calculi.

Dogs with bladder stones may develop cystitis, a condition wherein their urinary bladder gets inflamed, all because of the small stones present in the dog s urinary tract. These small stones can be made up of calcium oxalate, struvite, cystine calculi, and ammonium urate.

Once these small stones form in the urinary tract of your dog, your pet would show the symptoms of the disease. Such symptoms are frequent urination, decreased amount of urine, and straining. You may also see blood in your pet s urine every now and then. Male dogs are more likely to be affected by bladder stones because of their narrow urethras.

There are different ways to treat bladder stones in dogs. However, the proper treatment is carried out only after the veterinarian had found out what type of stones had formed in your dog s urinary tract. As stated earlier, there are many types of stones that could possibly form. And each of those stones requires a different set of treatment strategy.

Bladder stones can be treated with the right diet. Veterinarians may prescribe an acidic diet so that the dog s urine would have a higher pH level. At that state, the bladder stones would get dissolved and the dog would be cured eventually.

There are also certain dog foods that are especially created to treat bladder stones in dogs. Your veterinarian would know if these foods are going to be helpful to your pet or not. It is very hard to give dogs acidic juices or the fresh juices of fruits. But if the foods are scientifically prepared to contain the needed acids, it becomes much easier to feed them to your pet. Of course, it is also important to give your dog the proteins and the nutrients it needs to sustain life.

However, the treatment of bladder stones through diet is only effective for struvite uroliths. These are the type of stones that can easily be dissolved with acids. But even so, it would take several weeks to more than two months before the diet would prove to be effective and potentially treat your dog. Surgery is still the best way to treat bladder stones in dogs. Ask the help of a qualified veterinarian to determine whether this treatment process is the best one for your pet. Otherwise, you have to submit your pet to other treatment procedures that would remove the stones in its bladder in the shortest time possible.

Dogs with bladder stones tend to become irritated, excrete less amount of urine but do it very frequently, and exhibit pain while urinating. If you observe your dog to be suffering from these symptoms, it is best that you take your pet to the veterinarian right away for proper diagnosis.

Visit us at Bladder Stones In Dogs - Canine Urolithiasis and find information and resources about dog bladder stones, treatments for dog bladder stones and Click here for more articles from

Thanks for this!

I have purchased the CD kibble for her but I have also been reading up on raw feeding a special diet.

This poor little thing has now had two struvite stones removed through an operation on the bladder so it appears that it is an issue for her and I hope to get her on the right path and then be able to pass on the information when I re-home her.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

Thread Information