Thread: Breeding Rottweilers

Default Breeding Rottweilers

Hi there, I currently have a 7yr old desexed male and a 4 month male. I am looking to buy a female and start breeding with the young male when they all come of age.

Would I have any issues with the older male with regards to behaviour etc? Or because he is desexed he wouldn't be interested in the female when she is on heat??

Thanks

Mark
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 08-12-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: fix deserved to desex

No Guarantees there.

Some desexed males are very distracted by other dogs, some entire males can ignore even females on heat unless they're given permission to "go sniff" or "go say hello". .

If you want to breed - the best people to ask would be other rottweiler breeders - ie start with the people who bred yours.

You have to be very careful about what match you choose - get dna tests for genetic diseases that rotties are prone to and get hip scores. And research as much as you can about what you can do to make sure you breed healthy dogs.

There are some extremely unhealthy rotties out there - they might look good but they don't live long healthy lives.

(note - if you do get a female - she could get pregnant as young as 6 months old - but it's better with the large breeds to wait until 2 years old. So you're going to have to use birth control or separation...

And you might want to read this too. Most people who want to breed - go ask face to face - people who regularly breed for the betterment of their breed and for their future puppies. And they should be able to help with all the risks and how to reduce them. And also advise on the costs. It's not cheap if you do it properly.

(this one is about the risks for a female)
    http://www.dogforum.com.au/showthread.php?t=2822

and this one - similar but has a lot more info about what happens to the puppies.
    http://www.dogforum.com.au/showthread.php?t=1646

My desexed boy has tied with one of my females on her first heat. Rotties have a very high incidence of hip and elbow dysplasia and other genetic related disesases. Before you breed make sure they are all of a sound temperament and that you have done the appropriate DNA health testing and hip and elbow scoring on both dogs and preferably also have that information on the parents lines from the breeders. Rotties that are too straight in the stifle can also suffer cruciate injuries. They can also have a high rate of certain types of cancers in their lines.

I would really be doing my homework on the parents lines and be totally sure that the dogs you choose to breed have very sound lines behind them and are of the quality you need to breed. I have a couple of friends who breed Rotties and I know that one of them regularly sources lines from overseas to keep her lines as healthy as possible.

Thread Information