Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apbt ?

I just saw the bit about Hobart next year.

Sorry but they're completely restricyed in Tasmania. You need council approval just to buy one. Breeding is banned. I doubt you'd be able to get one in from the NT to tassie.

http://www.dpac.tas.gov.au/divisions...ted_breed_faqs

Perhaps an Amstaff would be a better option for you. They have no restrictions, just need to make sure they come from an ANKC breeder with papers (which would be proof it is an amstaff, not a pit bull if authorities decided to check in). In victoria authorities used to be able to seize and euthanise any dog which fit their vague standard of what a pit bull looks like unless there was proof it wasn't a pit bull (Ankc papers or certificate from a vet). Not sure whether they can still seize and euth any dog like that or not.

Even an Amstaff needs loads of training and time put into it if you want it to be a stable dog. From my experience they are generally not great with other dogs... Just yesterday I saw one come into my work torn to shreds after it got in a fight with another amstaff!

My main problem would be sourcing the dog, I have had limited exposure with pitbull's / amstaff's but from what I've had has been very pleasurable
    dog proofing the property would not take me very long, probably a good weekend with a couple of mate's and training a dog is one of the best parts! how else are you ment to build a concrete bond with any animal if you dont spend time with it and treat it right.

I'm aware of "restricted" and "dangerous dog" and the requirments that follow with, honestly doesn't even sound like a great deal.
    for me a restriction doesn't mean you cannot own the dog just means you have guide lines set out with it..

I guess for now I'll just keep doing research and visit a couple of kennels and get some more hands on exposure with the different breeds
    "If you are not continually learning, you are already dying."

You might find this interesting...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w

"Savvy is a purebred American Pit Bull Terrier / American Staffordshire Terrier (dual UKC / AKC registered). After a DNA test, he's told he's not what his AKC or UKC papers say he is...."

So you could get away with getting a ANKC papered Amstaff and say it's a pitbull...

Maybe the mouth dna was something to do with what he'd been sniffing and licking recently...

This page has the Amstaff breeders in Australia. Try to meet the breeders, and their dogs before choosing. Do not be sucked in by any crap about "rare blue"...

Make sure you get a dog with a black nose.

https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds...asp?state=AUST

There's only one place listed for Tasmania and they're not planning on breeding any time soon, so maybe get dog before you get there or you will be coming back to the mainland for one. Unless you get a rescue staffordshire bull terrier cross (loads of those everywhere).

https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/562671

I would get the permission from the Hobart council before buying any dog, unless you're willing to not move to Hobart if they say no?

You do need to take the restrictions seriously. No. They don't stop you from owning a dog. But they do dictate the rules you have to follow to KEEP the dog and for Tasmania, that requires you get permission to buy from the council first.

Flouting these rules would just end up with a dead dog and a fine. Nobody wants that.

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleTheDog View Post
    I would get the permission from the Hobart council before buying any dog, unless you're willing to not move to Hobart if they say no?
    Any dog ? Why ? LOL ! Give me a ‘frecking’ break !

You do need to take the restrictions seriously. No. They don't stop you from owning a dog. But they do dictate the rules you have to follow to KEEP the dog and for Tasmania, that requires you get permission to buy from the council first.
    Flouting these rules would just end up with a dead dog and a fine. Nobody wants that.
    Please - Do some homework here - You really don't know what you are talking about here ?

LOL - The original OP knows all about the status of legislation regarding the breed that was mentioned in the original post - in Australia.

All of my pups over the years - have always been registered with my local council.

Are your 2 dogs registered with your local council ? If not - then maybe you can understand what the OP is really asking !

We are talking about apbt here so yes, OP needs to get specific approval from Hobart council to bring in any apbt before even registering the dog. It's right there in the link. Maybe read that rather than being ass?

Can I buy a restricted breed dog?

A person who wishes to acquire a restricted breed dog must apply to their council for approval to have ownership transferred to them.
    All dogs declared to be a restricted breed dog in another State will be recognised as a restricted breed dog in Tasmania and approval will be required before they can be imported.
    It'd suck to find the right breeder only to have the wrong council area. It's better OP jump through all the tassie hoops so their future apbt doesn't get taken away because they missed one.

I'm hoping he decides to get an ANKC papered Amstaff - and then he won't have most of those problems unless the dog does something bad - which hopefully he can prevent with good training.

I can't tell from the tasmanian dog laws if bite work training is allowed or not. It's not legal for a dog to attack anyone unless it is defending private property or person. So that would make training bite work a bit hard.

All guard dogs that protect commercial property - are to be declared to the local council and get automatically declared "dangerous"... and have those rules apply. Ie if one gets out and bites someone - all the fines are much bigger...

There is no BSL at all in the ACT as far as I know, Hyacinth. Since about 2 years, you're supposed to have a breeders licence if you have a litter of pups. There may be some breed specific policies built in to the requirements or assessments for that, I'm not sure. As usual, they don't have enough resources to enforce this legislation anyway.

Thread Information