Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingston the bed destroyer

Default Kingston the bed destroyer

Hi everyone, we need some help with our 8 month old American Staffy who has just destroyed his third bed.

We purchased a really good quality one that he shouldn't be able to destroy but does anyone have any techniques to prevent this?
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there,

I'd say he's bored. Does he have interactive toys? regular exercising? What training are you doing with him?

Staffy's are very intelligent and need their mind exercised just as much if not more than their body or they get frustrated and will destroy things.

More information will be needed to help I'm afraid.

Thanks,
    Pete.

Oh I know this feeling ALL too well!!

My 12 year old Kelpie (Dodge) is the queen of destroying bedding. Doesn't matter how much mental stimulation, training or exercise she gets, she just loves to destroy beds. Not just beds either, she even shreds blankets for the fun of it.

I'm sure there are training methods to help resolve this issue, hopefully other forum members can help you with that... We resorted to a different solution.

Dodge tends to destroy her beds/blankets inside her kennel, she doesn't drag them out everywhere so we altered her kennel by putting a plank of wood along the bottom of the doorway. Then filled her kennel with a bunch of op shop blankets, she can shred them in there to her hearts content and they don't make a mess because of the board in the doorway. She loves it, her kennel is filled with these scraps of fabric that she can bury herself in, keeps her super warm!

I know that solution won't work for everyone, but that is just what works for us

I do love a practical solution
    Quote Originally Posted by maddogdodge View Post
    Oh I know this feeling ALL too well!!

My 12 year old Kelpie (Dodge) is the queen of destroying bedding. Doesn't matter how much mental stimulation, training or exercise she gets, she just loves to destroy beds. Not just beds either, she even shreds blankets for the fun of it.

I'm sure there are training methods to help resolve this issue, hopefully other forum members can help you with that... We resorted to a different solution.

Dodge tends to destroy her beds/blankets inside her kennel, she doesn't drag them out everywhere so we altered her kennel by putting a plank of wood along the bottom of the doorway. Then filled her kennel with a bunch of op shop blankets, she can shred them in there to her hearts content and they don't make a mess because of the board in the doorway. She loves it, her kennel is filled with these scraps of fabric that she can bury herself in, keeps her super warm!

I know that solution won't work for everyone, but that is just what works for us

Thanks so much guys. We do walk him regularly, he does obedience training one night a week and goes to puppy parks on weekends. I understand it would be boring all along in the back yard at times. We have kongs but if anyone has any suggestions as to more interactive toys I would be all about it!

He has also started eating his kennel but hasn't touched the $160 pet barn bed which is in there! Thank goodness!

LOL - It is a conspiracy – I tell you ! I believe the manufacturers make the stuffing in these things - extra sweet smelling for pups – just so they can sell more !

Nearly the right weather for snow ! Just be thankful it is in a confined area and not over the whole back yard !

Also -

From your photos – it looks like he spends time in a garage ! Is this while you are out during the day ? Is this where he also sleeps of a night time ?

I suggest you do some measurements on this very expensive bed you have bought and find a doona cover for it. Shop around for a cheap one via - Op/Charity shops or department/grocery type stores. I have found that they work really well – because they are made of a thicker material than sheets. It seems to slow the pups down a tad !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Actually come to think of it Bailey used to chew his bedding too when left alone for a few hours (many moons ago).

On day I just stopped replacing it. I gave him a plastic clamshell and put all the remnants in it for him. One day I left some carpet off cuts in the back yard. A few days later they had found their way into the clam shell. As neither I nor my wife moved them and we assume the cat didn't the only suspect left was Bailey.

I'm sure its co-incidental but when I stopped replacing the bedding he stopped chewing it.

Later on I got an old sleeping bag and stuffed it with blankets for his clam shell. That was very cumfy and warm for him as his outside bed.

Pete

The toughest dog (and zoo critter) toys I know about are here
    https://aussiedog.com.au/product-category/alone/

note - they will last a while but not forever. I got a figure 8 loop tug made out of old firehose or similar - and she's shredded that and I don't leave her alone with it - it's just scissor mouth at work.

And you will probably have to show him how to play with one of the hanging ones... ie the best toys are always someone else's.

My dog's first bed(s) were cardboard boxes lined with old clothes and rag-towels. Shred away evil hound. I would get not get anything that has stuffing in it for your dog any time soon. Tho there are a few toys that are stuffed with more toys or food - those might work. Along with something like a "snuffle mat".

If you could manage five minutes of trick training every morning with him (start with collar grab and its yer choice - those are every day games) you will wear his brain out and he will need to sleep more. A few minutes training and a walk would be ideal but not everyone can fit that in. But definitely less destruction - as long as there is mental activity involved. Just making the dog run a lot (eg playing fetch for an hour) just makes a super fit destructo dog.

Old clothes - cotton tshirts or jumpers with your smell on them - he might find comforting. The other thing that might make him shred the bed less would be the Adaptil pheremone dog appeaser (smells like dog mum) - ie that would be soothing so maybe he'd not feel so strong a need to kill the bed.

he is also hitting the terrible teens dog equivalent...
    http://k9protraining.com.au/2005/10/...ment-schedule/

This is a tough period to be a dog owner, they chew as they are changing teeth, they can pretend they don’t know you, become non respondent etc, many pups are dumped before 9 months…
    Note - on the link he suggests using aversives if your dog doesn't respond to cues you know he knows. I agree you cannot let your dog ignore you, but the way I'd deal with it would be to put a dog that doesn't come when called - on lead - as fast as I could... probably for the rest of the time at the park - I had to go get my dog in the back yard also... that wasn't fun - she does love a game of "chase me" but definitely not so fond of being stuck outside on her own (I avoid that as much as possible). So if I shut the door on her for not coming when called or dawdling back - that's aversive to her.

The main thing is not to reward or do anything that might encourage behaviour you don't want. ie no yelling at the barking dog to "shaddup" cos that's attention and it sounds like you're joining in with approval... ie more barking. I actually collar grab and put my dog on lead when she barks too much at me. And if we were going for a walk - she has to be quiet and calm before I start with the rest of walking prep. Ie that works for me - not really sure why but it definitely limits her opportunity to fetch me all my shoes and chew my sox.

Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    LOL - It is a conspiracy – I tell you ! I believe the manufacturers make the stuffing in these things - extra sweet smelling for pups – just so they can sell more !

Nearly the right weather for snow ! Just be thankful it is in a confined area and not over the whole back yard !

Also -

From your photos – it looks like he spends time in a garage ! Is this while you are out during the day ? Is this where he also sleeps of a night time ?

I suggest you do some measurements on this very expensive bed you have bought and find a doona cover for it. Shop around for a cheap one via - Op/Charity shops or department/grocery type stores. I have found that they work really well – because they are made of a thicker material than sheets. It seems to slow the pups down a tad !
    Thanks so much! Haha! I'm actually quite thankful the stuffing is conveniently in little pieces and not stringy, because he has been eating some of it!!!

He's in the backyard but we have this little DIY undercover area just outside the back door where he hangs out

Thread Information