Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Advice - dogs fighting :-(

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicked22 View Post
    Oh thank you! It was a horrible and stressful 6 months but I'm so happy where we have ended up. My bank balance is another story

    Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
    Good stuff that you are so happy where all 3 of you are now ! It will only get better !

    PFFTT – As for money – you can’t take it with you – so – Why not spend it on your precious pups ? Did you have ‘Pet Insurance’ for them ?

    I am on a few FB pages. Every now and again someone posts a question – like – How much do you spend on your pups ?
    LOL – For some reason I never reply to those sorts of posts !

    What is more important to me is - We have a roof over our heads – we all eat really well now, since the pups have been on a raw diet. So the vet expenses have decreased massively. That means I have money in the bank. I call it a win-win ! Though I am not dealing with breed health issues with my 2 pups – like you have.

    A couple of comments:

    Be aware of the effect of your own body language on your 2 pups. They can read you better – than you can read them.

    Also, I hope the ‘Jerk’ is getting training !

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    Good stuff that you are so happy where all 3 of you are now ! It will only get better !

    PFFTT – As for money – you can’t take it with you – so – Why not spend it on your precious pups ? Did you have ‘Pet Insurance’ for them ?

    I am on a few FB pages. Every now and again someone posts a question – like – How much do you spend on your pups ?
    LOL – For some reason I never reply to those sorts of posts !

    What is more important to me is - We have a roof over our heads – we all eat really well now, since the pups have been on a raw diet. So the vet expenses have decreased massively. That means I have money in the bank. I call it a win-win ! Though I am not dealing with breed health issues with my 2 pups – like you have.

    A couple of comments:

    Be aware of the effect of your own body language on your 2 pups. They can read you better – than you can read them.

    Also, I hope the ‘Jerk’ is getting training !
    Ha ha, yes we are all still doing training.

    I had insurance for my older boy but had just cancelled it as the premium went up ridiculously and he'd never had any health issues. Ughh go figure... Luckily I work at the specialist centre so I got a pretty good discount ;-) but totally agree, it's just money.

    Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicked22 View Post
    Ha ha, yes we are all still doing training.

    I had insurance for my older boy but had just cancelled it as the premium went up ridiculously and he'd never had any health issues. Ughh go figure... Luckily I work at the specialist centre so I got a pretty good discount ;-) but totally agree, it's just money.
    Gosh, that is really bad luck with your older boy and the insurance ! Always the way - Isn't ? Good stuff that you could get a really good discount for your boy and hopefully for your little girl !

    How are they both now - Bright eyed and bushy tailed ? Is the 'Jerk' still pushing both you and your boy's buttons ? Sad fact of life is :


    I have never bought insurance for my pups. Though surprisingly - I have some cover for my pups on my Home and Contents Insurance - at no extra cost ! Whoo whoo ! Though I bet if I make a claim - there goes the 'freebie insurance' !

    Because I am now a RTOT - I have a credit card that's credit limit has crept up over the years. I use that as my insurance. Thankfully, I have never needed to use it - with my last 2 and my present 2 pups. Though it would have been very handy for my first little girl in 1975. She suffered from Grand Mal seizures and then was hit by a car at ~ 12 months old. I do have to say - it wasn't on my watch - but it was my responsibility. I had a friend looking after her - but then her new boyfriend came around - so she got a tad distracted !

    When are going to put up a couple of photos of your precious pups ? I am sure I won't be only one dribbling over them !
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #14

    Default

    Thanks for sharing (and updating after 12 months!). Always glad to hear another success stories with training.

    I have read somewhere that the spitz breeds (i.e. from Pomaranians to Samoys to Malamutes) are considered a more "primitive" breed where their ancestral primitive nature is more prevalent than other dogs, it's a bit easier to run into dominance and other related issues with these dogs. I personally believe they are not the easiest dogs to train and it can get very frustrating. We had a German Spitz for 17 years and he was quite a handful, so working with a good trainer(s) is pretty essential if you do not know a lot (like myself) at times of desperation.

    It took me several years to fully understand his true nature. I have tried some training methods to establish myself as the Alpha, but he was resisting it so much that it was unhappy for both of us. At some point I wondered if I was working too hard against his nature, and maybe I should work with it instead. Then I started to think of our relationship more as "roommates" or "friends" rather than owner/pet. I noticed our relationship improved a lot and he was more willing to work with me. Maybe for some people it was super obvious and they would know from day 1, but it was quite a journey for us
    In memory of Billy

  5. #15

    Default

    The ‘Dominance Theory’ and the ‘Pack Behaviour Theory’ have been proven as invalid via research and not appropriate for our pups and their training - regardless of the breed !

    Though, I have to admit in my very early days in my pups training – these 2 ideals were - what was expected and we were suggested very strongly to train that way !

    Thank heavens times have changed !

    I work on the mantra now – that my 2 pups and I are a ‘WIP’. All 3 of us are learning new things all the time.

    I now understand this very clearly – That it will take time, perseverance, patience, training, socialising, heaps of love, a sense of humour and heaps of very special treats to get a pup to trust and bond with you. But - This all takes time and training !

    'furbaby' - Some links for you to read:

    http://www.ava.com.au/public/about-p...dominance-dogs

    http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/iss...s_20416-1.html

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    The ‘Dominance Theory’ and the ‘Pack Behaviour Theory’ have been proven as invalid via research and not appropriate for our pups and their training - regardless of the breed !

    Though, I have to admit in my very early days in my pups training – these 2 ideals were - what was expected and we were suggested very strongly to train that way !

    Thank heavens times have changed !

    I work on the mantra now – that my 2 pups and I are a ‘WIP’. All 3 of us are learning new things all the time.

    I now understand this very clearly – That it will take time, perseverance, patience, training, socialising, heaps of love, a sense of humour and heaps of very special treats to get a pup to trust and bond with you. But - This all takes time and training !

    'furbaby' - Some links for you to read:

    http://www.ava.com.au/public/about-p...dominance-dogs

    http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/iss...s_20416-1.html
    Thanks for the links, I will add them to my reading list.

    Well, 17 years ago the Internet was very different. Google hasn’t even started I think. The only information I had was what the trainer told me. So I had to learn the hard way.

    But it’s surprising that a lot of trainers still base their training around the old theory as of today.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In memory of Billy

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •