I was after some advice on purchasing dog if anyone can pls hlp!?
We have two kids under 5. My hubby is a dog person growing up with staffies and rotties. I don't know a lot so am doing some research before we make the life commitment.
I know many say not to get dogs till after kids are 6 - however hubby not interested in this theory. I'm fully aware they would have to be under direct supervision all the time. He really wants a staffy. Here are some of my questions.
1) How much training is required for stafforhshire bull terrier- Are the easily trianed, hard to train etc etc
2) How energectic are they? I heard you can get lazy ones and then really hyper ones????
3) Do they tend to rip washing off line, jump, bite, dig, when in yard? Do they rip things up if inside?
4) Are they dog/people agressive when walking? Do they pull or lunge?
5) Do they whimper at night or bark at everything that walks by?
5) How are they with kids - gentle or do they need to be taught, bowl kids over etc etc?
I know some of these questions are all what training is for and that most dog/puppies do all these things, really just wondering if staffy is a suitable dog for our current situation. My mum tends to freak out when I talk about getting one - however i have only had contact with very loyal gentle staffies.
Any advice is great!! If I hve missed any vital questions please let me know. I'm also happ to hear of other suitable dogs - however hubby not keen on retrivers or little cuddly dogs which i know are often ones recommended for families! THANKS