Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new little ferret - Mika (general ferret update)

Default My new little ferret - Mika (general ferret update)

Haven't updated the forum on my ferrets for at least a year now!

Not sure how many of you care, but I'm updating anyway!

Same as last update I've still got 3 groups... Yuki living alone, Kito and Luna living together and then the trio (Maverick, Iceman and Goose) living together. Every attempt to mix these groups ends terribly...

Everyone is thriving except Maverick who was diagnosed with Insulinoma (same disease my Scrat had) about a month ago. He's managing with medication though.

They are all now eating a 100% raw diet and are doing so well + they don't smell anywhere near as much on a species appropriate diet like this

Yuki had been getting a little lonely living by herself so yesterday I picked up this little girl 'Mika' She's 9 weeks old and cheeky as anything!! She's not nip trained yet, but we're working on that. I also believe she is deaf. Her and Yuki are getting on brilliantly

15879408_1493158784036891_679875243_n.jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 2.11.11 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 2.11.18 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 2.11.24 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 2.11.31 PM.jpg

Of course we care - or I do !

Mika looks gorgeous and you must be pleased that Yuki is liking the company.

Any chance of photos of the others ?

I am really pleased they are all doing well on a raw diet. I am a believer now and will never buy kibble again !

Yep I will never go back to kibble for the ferrets! The change in them is fantastic! Their coats are softer and shinier, they've got more energy. They smell less, less poos and each poo is much smaller and smells less. And hopefully in the long run I'll be saving money because they'll be less likely to develop diseases like insulinoma! Scrat costed me over $1000 in her 1 year battle with Insulinoma. My family think I'm insane spending that kind of money on a ferret, haha!

Of course I have photos of the others They're my babies so I'm constantly taking photos of them, haha!

Maverick His paperwork says he's just turned 4 but being a rescue we're not sure. I think he's more like 5 or 6 considering he's got Insulinoma.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 4.45.34 PM.jpg

Iceman - he is estimated to be 3.5 years old.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 4.45.42 PM.jpg

Goose - She is 3 years old
    Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 4.46.26 PM.jpg

Luna (or Loony Luna as I call her)- She's 2 years old
    Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 4.46.37 PM.jpg

Kito (the naughtiest ferret in the world!) - 2 years old
    Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 4.46.52 PM.jpg

Yuki - She is estimated to turn 7 in a couple of weeks although I do wonder if she's actually younger than that.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 4.50.10 PM.jpg

Here is Mika last night having her first ever taste of meat She's taken to it like a champ! She was raised eating a mix of cat and dog kibble before I got her.

(Oh and in the video you see Yuki take a mouse and then return into the video fairly soon after... she didn't eat it! She was just doing what ferrets do best and stashing it for later )

Mika will be getting her first chicken neck tonight, really really hoping she'll take to it! My others aren't keen on bones which is quite problematic for their teeth. Although the chunks of meat seems to be helping their teeth which will have to do if I can't get them eating bones.

Last edited by maddogdodge; 01-05-2017 at 05:13 PM.

WoW ! Thank you for the photos ! They are all looking great ! Loved the video !

Just a little hint with bones for newbies – use a meat mallet and smash them a few times. Works well for chicken necks and chicken wing tips.

Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    WoW ! Thank you for the photos ! They are all looking great ! Loved the video !

Just a little hint with bones for newbies – use a meat mallet and smash them a few times. Works well for chicken necks and chicken wing tips.
    I've actually tried that a few times, doesn't seem to make much of a difference for them. I'm not going to give up though, I want to avoid having to put them under for dental work after losing my boy Fred during a scale and polish

Decided to give them all larger mice tonight instead of chicken necks. Tonights mice were 14 days old, so double the size of the ones in the video above. Mika grabbed one straight away and gobbled it all up leaving just the tail I'm so happy she's taken to the diet change so easily!! Will do chicken necks tomorrow

15878726_1493472630672173_34096762_n.jpg 15879148_1493472617338841_500292316_n.jpg 15909465_1493472640672172_1214093010_n.jpg

She also went on her first walk today, accepted the harness no problems. She's one brilliant little kit!!

Loved the nose work on this little one ! Not good enough yet for me to feel my GSPs are slack - But - Nearly !

Good Luck with the chicken necks. Looking forward to seeing your video of it ! Will it be for all of them ?

Another suggestion is to mince/grind the chicken necks up so they get used to a new taste. Mix it in with their meat.

I'll give them all chicken necks, might go 1 per cage though so as not to waste too much if they're not eaten. They already all get minced chicken carcass so I'd imagine that would be a similar taste? I actually haven't offered them chicken necks since switching them to full raw, they've had wing tips (both smashed and unsmashed) which were sometimes nibbled at sometimes untouched but I just haven't bought necks for a while. So I'm hoping cause it's 'new' they might be more interested, especially now they've all really got the taste for meat!

I'm also going to start offering them bigger pieces of meat, like whole chicken hearts and kangaroo chunks cause chewing and ripping through pieces of meat is also great for teeth

They are so cute. Greetings from Frida and Yoda!

Look my two ferrets, Frida female and Yoda Male
    friendly-ferret-firda-400x435.jpg
    friendly-ferret-yoda-e1481033684729.jpg
    Also on my blog Friendly Ferret you can find more pic of theme

Thread Information