Thread: Dog lover but no time to have my own :-(

Default Dog lover but no time to have my own :-(

Any tips on how a fellow dog lover that would LOVE to get a dog but just doesn't have the time for one can get their dog fix?

Due to my hour long commute I'm essentially out of the house for 10+ hours a day so unfortunately I don't really see how I could have time for a dog of my own. I don't really see my job or living situation changing anytime. I volunteer at a shelter every fortnight and have been advertising for months for weekend dog sitting and walking (so far there's been no takers in my area) but sometimes it just doesn't feel like enough!

Is there anything else I could do to get my dog fix? None of my friends have dogs and I miss being around them like crazy. Should I just resign myself to the fact that I'm never going to be able to get a dog of my own and accept what contact I do have with the shelter dogs?

Hi DogDays

Have you letterboxed your local area? Often internet advertising doesn't work nearly as well for local stuff as actually putting a note in a letter box.

Have you thought about joining a local dog club - even tho you don't have one? Or at least visiting while they have classes on - will meet heaps of dogs that way.

Hi DogDays

Have you letterboxed your local area? Often internet advertising doesn't work nearly as well for local stuff as actually putting a note in a letter box.

Have you thought about joining a local dog club - even tho you don't have one? Or at least visiting while they have classes on - will meet heaps of dogs that way.

The letterbox drop is a good idea actually. The only thing that could be a problem is that I *might* be getting a cat soon, though that won't stop me offering dog walking, maybe just sitting.

I'm not sure how or where to find dog clubs in my area, or what I would do at one if I did join?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

You could visit dog shows too

Not sure what state you're from but check out the dog club for your state (Dogs Victoria, Dogs NSW etc etc). I know the Dogs Vic website lists upcoming shows

Another suggestion for you is via this link:

https://dogshare.com.au/

Hi Dogdays,, I work 4 days a week and am out of the house usually 11 hours on each of those days. I love dogs, and I too struggled with the idea of having a dog, but not being home with them for long periods of time. (albeit many dogs fall into this category) I too also volunteered at my local rspca every sunday morning, for my doggy fix. However, I made the decision, probably after seeing so many dogs needing loving homes, to take on two rehomes. My idea, was that they would have company for each other. So how has that worked for me. Its not perfect, as I would love to be home with them all day, but that's not possible, so I made the commitment to take them to a dog park every day, to play with other dogs and socialize, we usually go for about an hour and half each day. I also spend a lot of time with them on weekends, and they live in the house and have a big backyard. Yes, social life is kept to a minimum because of them, but that's my choice. they are my responsibility . So I guess, if you are willing to make time for them, and you are home a lot whenever you arnt working, then I would consider getting yourself a dog , I'm sure there are many rehome or rescue dogs that would love a home rather then living in a kennel. but as always, they are a commitment for many years, so consider carefully.

I'm so glad you decided to adopt Riley :-) I'm renting at the moment and whilst I'm allowed to have pets my house unfortunately doesn't have a nice big yard. I hope to buy a house in a year or so and will definitely consider fostering or even adopting a couple of dogs then if the property is suitable. Maybe I'll just get a cat for now!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Thread Information