Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy!

Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    Another suggestion – Is to look seriously about health insurance for your new pup. Check with your breeder whether your pup is already covered. Some breeders as part of a ‘puppy pack’ arrange 6 weeks of free health insurance. Regardless – It is something I suggest you to look at.
    This here is an excellent piece of advice. Goldens are high risk of both hip HD and elbow dysplasia ED and you don't say if your breeder has screened for them in her lines. ANKC requires this of Golden breeders over here to screen the parents before they will register the pups. Even if they have been screened it is still always a risk as I have recently discovered. I always insure my pups as soon as I get them home until I have determined that there is nothing drastically genetically wrong. My last puppy was diagnosed with severe bilateral HD despite being from excellent working lines. At age 10 months she had her first hip replacement surgery THR at a cost so far of $9,000. I also discovered that some insurers do not cover surgery that involves hip prosthetics but my insurers agreed to cover her hips for the equivelent cost of an alternative surgery TPO that does not require prosthetics, so they paid $5000 of the costs. Not quite what I expected but better than nothing. They will pay the same for the second hip when it requires doing.

So insure the pup from the start at least for that first maybe 18 months or so and discuss with your insurer what they will cover as far as hip surgery goes.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 01-04-2017 at 10:26 AM.

RileyJ we were looking at adding pet insurance to our contents insurance through RACQ but I'll have a read and see if these a better suited. I don't know if the breeder offers any insurance. We too have a soft spot for AWL

I'm trying to find a puppy pre school - I called the one the vet recommended but they run on a Monday evening and it might be an issue with a toddler - Hubby doesn't finish work til 5.30 and we'd be in peak hour traffic to get to where it is so we'd have trouble getting there even if I dropped our toddler off to daddy's work right on 5.30. So I called Petbarn (I know I know but they're close - but $160? really, the other one through a small vet was FREE!) and it's only slightly later on a Thursday night but might be easier for us to get to. And I've also called AWL about their's and they're going to send a pack to me sometime today so will have to wait and see. I don't mind paying there though for obvious reasons.

Does anyone know of any that run on weekends on any parts of the coast - it won't matter too much as we're both home Saturdays so a bit more flexible?

Quote Originally Posted by pocketrocket View Post
    RileyJ we were looking at adding pet insurance to our contents insurance through RACQ but I'll have a read and see if these a better suited. I don't know if the breeder offers any insurance. We too have a soft spot for AWL
    Whatever you decide please just read the fine print and ask what they cover in regards hip surgery and get it in writing or on email.

Some suggestions for you:

This is my pick ! I really like this school and their classes – they teach you heaps and classes are not large.

http://www.vippetfoods.com.au/dog-club/about-dog-club/

Another good one to look at – but not as extensive as VIP Dog Club:

http://www.goldcoastdogobedience.com.au/puppy-kindy/
    Pet shop kindy - No ! More interested in selling product - though you do get a discount !

Kalacreek Yes we are definitely looking into pet insurance - with my boxer she had hip problems (not sure what they were) that my folks couldn't afford to fix, - thankfully it wasn't too severe and didn't impact her day to day, but when she was older and it was cold you would noticed she was in some pain; we took her to the vet and did get her as much helps possible without surgery and she was ok.

I know the breeder is part of ANKC as she had pups on dogzonline and they have to be registered through ANKC to sell on there no.?

However we found her through searching for breeders on google back in September and I think I came across on a site that listed registered breeders. I didn't want to buy a pup from Puppy Palace or Puppy Shack so we avoided those. She is really lovely and we were happy with what we saw when we went to meet them and the puppies. We have asked lots of questions and asked if the parents or any pups from this or previous litters have had health issues and she said no - but did say the breed is prone to hip/elbow problems which we already knew with my husband having a golden retriever and lab growing up. The puppies have all been checked over by the vet, and the breeder told us they all were given the all clear. But if there are issues we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it but definitely have insurance in place so it's there should we need it.

Are we allowed to name breeders on here or is it a bit of a no no?

I wouldn't ! The forum is too open for you to do something like that.

The best advice I can give to help stop problems with joints and hips:

Don't de-sex the pup until at least 18 months old. He will need his hormones to grow properly and his growth plates will have closed.

Keep him on the lean side and fed good quality food. Raw is best.

Don't overexercise the pup and be careful when he hoons around. Puppies are very accident prone and supreme klutzes ! So jumping off things is a no-no and if you have stairs - watch him like a hawk ! Tiles are also a problem with pups. So I have a rule in the house for my 2 - house is for quiet time - outside for zoomies !
    Last edited by RileyJ; 01-04-2017 at 02:31 PM.

RileyJ we were looking at adding pet insurance to our contents insurance through RACQ but I'll have a read and see if these a better suited.
    Just check the cost benefit and all the little fine print !
    Last edited by RileyJ; 01-04-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Kalacreek Yes we are definitely looking into pet insurance - with my boxer she had hip problems (not sure what they were) that my folks couldn't afford to fix, - thankfully it wasn't too severe and didn't impact her day to day, but when she was older and it was cold you would noticed she was in some pain; we took her to the vet and did get her as much helps possible without surgery and she was ok.

I know the breeder is part of ANKC as she had pups on dogzonline and they have to be registered through ANKC to sell on there no.?

However we found her through searching for breeders on google back in September and I think I came across on a site that listed registered breeders. I didn't want to buy a pup from Puppy Palace or Puppy Shack so we avoided those. She is really lovely and we were happy with what we saw when we went to meet them and the puppies. We have asked lots of questions and asked if the parents or any pups from this or previous litters have had health issues and she said no - but did say the breed is prone to hip/elbow problems which we already knew with my husband having a golden retriever and lab growing up. The puppies have all been checked over by the vet, and the breeder told us they all were given the all clear. But if there are issues we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it but definitely have insurance in place so it's there should we need it.

I would just ask her for the copies of the hip and elbow score certificates. My breeder gave them to me as part of the puppy pack for one of my ANKC registered pups, you should also receive registration papers for your puppy.

The vet will not be able to tell at this stage by manual examination if there are hip and elbow problems, mine also had vet check at her final vaccinations and at that point she was okay, these will start to manifest from 4 -6 months onwards. I noticed problems at 6 months. Most puppy vet checks look at heart eyes, ears etc rather than specifically for ortho problems which tend to require specific examination and x-rays. In the meantime keep puppy lean and don't over exercise. I did this but the HD was so severe that the vet told me that it would have happened regardless. My dog was so severe that with out hip replacement euthanasia was the only option. Another of her litter was also affected. Best be covered, my puppy will lead a completely normal life after hip replacement but it expensive and long winded, best to be covered just in case.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 01-04-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Ok so I spoke to RACQ and the guy said as long as it's not pre existing - ie written on a vet report from his 6 week check everything is covered even if a breed is prone to certain ailments. The cover is up to 80% of the bill up to $12,000 per year and he is sending through an email with what we've discussed. I'll have a look at the others too though a bit later on because is that enough coverage for hip surgery.

Thanks for all of your advice - we're fully tiled, but they aren't a gloss so don't know if that helps? I do have a rug I could out in the more high traffic areas if that will help him? No stairs except the step from the back door to outside. As for being a lunatic sounds like the same rule for my toddler haha! He can be such a little whirlwind!

I hadn't heard about the desxing thing thank you. We were planning on doing it as soon as he was old enough but might have to rethink.

And thanks for the puppy pre school - the second one you suggested might be a good fit as it says a child can attend and it's close to hubby's work so I'm hoping either I can drop Josh off to him on my way they if he's finished or he can meet me there and come pick Josh up if he's running late and take him home for me. They've got 8 spots left and I will book asap only put I just want to speak the person first (they didn't answer) before I commit to anything .

Thanks again, time to get of the computer and do the shopping!

Ok so I spoke to RACQ and the guy said as long as it's not pre existing - ie written on a vet report from his 6 week check everything is covered even if a breed is prone to certain ailments. The cover is up to 80% of the bill up to $12,000 per year and he is sending through an email with what we've discussed. I'll have a look at the others too though a bit later on because is that enough coverage for hip surgery.

Thanks for all of your advice - we're fully tiled, but they aren't a gloss so don't know if that helps? I do have a rug I could out in the more high traffic areas if that will help him? No stairs except the step from the back door to outside. As for being a lunatic sounds like the same rule for my toddler haha! He can be such a little whirlwind!

I hadn't heard about the desxing thing thank you. We were planning on doing it as soon as he was old enough but might have to rethink.

And thanks for the puppy pre school - the second one you suggested might be a good fit as it says a child can attend and it's close to hubby's work so I'm hoping either I can drop Josh off to him on my way they if he's finished or he can meet me there and come pick Josh up if he's running late and take him home for me. They've got 8 spots left and I will book asap only put I just want to speak the person first (they didn't answer) before I commit to anything .

Thanks again, time to get of the computer and do the shopping!
    You need to specifically ask if your insurance covers the prosthetics required for hip replacement surgery. If there is any mention in your policy documents about not covering prosthetics, they can refuse to cover Total hip replacement surgery which is different from a TPO (triple pelvic osteotomy generally done in pups under 8 months as long as they are a candidate) and a FHO (femoral head osteotomy) which is much cheaper but the best results are usually in dogs under about 15 kg and may not return the legs back to full function although will definitely improve quality of life.

$12000 is enough to cover one hip for Total Hip replacement barring anything going seriously wrong and is usually all you need in 80% of cases.

Thread Information