Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Years all!

Default Happy New Years all!

I hope your pups made it through the fireworks a-ok!

All good here for us 3 ! Not concerned at all – we slept through the lot !

Bonus – I got a sleep in this morning – 4.30 am ! Woohoo !

I hope everything was fine at your place !

My 2 are really good with fireworks and thunder. They are not fazed at all ! Usually have to pacify me when some A/Hole neighbour sets some sneaky ones off !

We took a trip to the beach (On lead of course) to watch the fireworks at 9:30.

They were set at Semaphore so we took a quiet spot around 5kms away down the beach by the largs sailing club. Car parked on the road 30 meters away and a pocket BULGING with treats.

We walked up and down the beach for 2 hours to tire Truffle out a bit then while the fireworks were going off (Pretty quiet where we were) I kept her distracted with a treat in my clenched fist. Enough that she could lick at it and try to get it but couldn't. Every 30 seconds or so I let her get at one.

Little Truffle handled it really well. I was so impressed and proud. Not a sound. not a reaction to any of them!

Later that night at home some of the A/hole neighbours were setting some off very close by. We were prepared, Truffle was inside and I had more treats ready to go. She made a bit of noise (Very excited) but handled it very well.

Hopefully we'll be this prepared next time there is thunder so Truffle can be distracted and get used to it.

Hope everyone else is OK and there will be some great new years resolutions ... Mine is to finish my boat project by the end of the year!

Pete.

All was good at this end. I live 10km out of town. Could hear 3 different lots of fireworks going off in different directions, could see one lot that was 15km away. Dogs were happily playing in the yard with us while we watched the very distant firework display, haha

Happy new year ! No fireworks here as there is a complete fire ban on! I think fireworks would quickly light up the surrounding paddocks and bush! Made do with the awesome array of stars on a dark moonless night!
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 01-01-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Happy new year

Sent from my SM-S766C using Tapatalk

'ihatewetsocks' - I really enjoy and love all your stories about your little girl ! For a ‘newbie’ at your place she has really found her wonderful forever home !

Good to see the work you are putting in to make sure she is OK with fireworks. Storms with heaps of lights and noise are very different to fireworks. Pups can sense a storm coming way before we can. But, the same principles you are using will still work for thunder and lightning. So, keep up your great work with this little girl.

Something you may like to read. Thunderstorms are the topic for this article – but the article is relevant for any other fears a pup may have:

https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/th...-thunderstorms

Happy New Year everyone. I am new here but not new to dogs. My little dog is scared of thunder and fireworks and I am glad the festivities are over, at least I hope they are. He trembles when thunder or fireworks happen and it is hard to comfort him. I tried a thunder-shirt but it didn't seem to help him much. I will read that article RileyJ, thank you.

ohhh shucks,

Truffle certainly is doing very well. She has settled in very well thus far. Even puts up with the feral neighbours next door throwing things at her. She has plenty of places to go, I leave the dance studio door open on the other side of the yard, she can access the garage and her kennel at any point and when I'm home she's inside so we have that under control (On Saturday I lost my cool when I confronted the neighbours as Friday night I found a dirty nappy in my back yard! I have no kids, the house to the back fence is kid free, the house to the right is vacant, the house to the left has 7 kids. Anyway that's a story for another day.

Anyway ... I read that article. Most fear that is described is sulking, hiding, quiet, looking for a place to be alone or looking for comfort. Truffle simply barks and seems to chase it like Helen Hunt. I just need to buy her a big red ute with a washing machine on the back and she'd be happy I think! Not sure if it is actually 100% fear. She's definitely not comfortable. I'll try to get footage of her next time (As long as it's not to her detriment) so you can see what I'm talking about.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
    Happy New Year everyone. I am new here but not new to dogs. My little dog is scared of thunder and fireworks and I am glad the festivities are over, at least I hope they are. He trembles when thunder or fireworks happen and it is hard to comfort him. I tried a thunder-shirt but it didn't seem to help him much. I will read that article RileyJ, thank you.
    I am sorry to read this. How old is your pup ? This may sound silly – but are his ears clean ?

Thunder shirts do work – but do need to be a tight fit across the chest area.

The way I have done it with my pups – with no treats - is to celebrate the fireworks, storms and all the lights, noise and rain. We just all lie down resting on our own pillow on the futon in the front room and look out the window. One pup on each side of me - with me going - wow/sh$t/what was that ?/did you see that one/far out ?

They think it’s a hoot with their tails wagging and giving me heaps of kisses ! If I get a big fright – they pacify me. So it works both ways for us !

Be careful of your own body language - because if you are stressed - then your pup will feed off that.

Some other things to look at that may be able to help you 2. Rescue Remedy is also good for you to take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFbju1AMUso

http://www.ttouch.com/

http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-rem...s-bach-flower/

Thread Information