Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy New Years all!

'ihatewetsocks' - What’s with the -

ohhh shucks,
    I really do love reading your adventures with this little girl ! I really wish everyone that took on an older pup was as thoughtful and considerate as you and your wife are with this little girl !

Pfftt – I also thought you needed a bit of the old ‘pat on the back’ when you grizzled/inferred about being too old to take on an older pup !

I tell ya I'd forgotten how hard training a dog is! I guess it is harder with an older adoptee as we just don't know what kind of training she has had before and how she lived ...
    Imagine, if you took on an 8 week old pup like I did 2 ½ years ago ! I am still not over it – yet !

My best advice to you is draw a line in the sand and don’t think about things before this little girl came to you. Deal with each new behaviour as it appears.

New house/new rules should be your mantra. That is also why I previously suggested you changed her name. Once she finally trusts you 2 totally – you will really see what she is possible of doing.
    WoW – You really have feral neighbours ! Dirty nappies ! I am thinking now that having Scottish and English people as my neighbours – past breeding age - is a godsend !

Anyway ... I read that article. Most fear that is described is sulking, hiding, quiet, looking for a place to be alone or looking for comfort. Truffle simply barks and seems to chase it like Helen Hunt.
    Fear can also be shown by pups barking unnecessarily at something. I teach the ‘leave it’ command with my 2. I also acknowledge their barks most times – and say ‘leave it – not important’ and ‘let’s find something else to do’ !

LOL – It usually works unless there are those large balloons with people aboard flying overhead !

Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post

Pfftt – I also thought you needed a bit of the old ‘pat on the back’ when you grizzled/inferred about being too old to take on an older pup !
    hehehe, didn't mean I'm too old I'm 32. Just thinking out loud is all ...

Thanks very much

Pete

Thread Information