Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on good food

Default Some thoughts on good food

Hi all,

I've been thinking about this for a while but never got around to posting it.

I fed my beloved Bailey a raw diet for his last 12 months and he looked so much better. He was on anti-inflammatory drugs for quite a while ($5 a tablet, once a day ... it adds up). but the raw diet really helped his arthritis, coat and general well being.

After adopting Truffle I have now got her on a raw diet too. She's loving it. She has quite a sensitive stomach and anything else seems to mess with her a bit the poor sod.

This week's trip to the shops cost me a tad over $60 (More than usual as no butcher was open; I had to get it from the supermarket) but it should last a month (Hopefully).

This batch's "recipe" is:

1 bag (2kg) assorted chicken pieces with bones (This is the first time I have fed ANY dog chicken bones as I always thought they were bad even raw but I've been assured they're fine
    1 packet chicken livers
    1 packet chicken hearts
    1 packet chicken giblets
    3 packets Ox tripe
    1 packet pork kidney
    2kg roo or beef mince (Usually human grade but I could only get roo pet mince this time)
    2 pork trotters for broth/jelly
    1 medium broccoli given the food processor treatment

All the bits and pieces are cut up (Chicken pieces kept whole) and mixed up. Pork trotters (Or beef/lamb bones) are boiled within an inch of their lives in a slow cooker for 24-48 hours (Pork trotters will take 48 hours). Meat removed and added to the mix, bones discarded safely in a sealed bag in the wheelie bin NEVER the kitchen bin. The stock is then cooled at room temp and poured into the mix. The jelly is then left to set in the fridge. I will then portion it up in small containers with one chicken piece per container and freeze. 5 portions are kept in the fridge at all times so it is properly defrosted when she eats it.

This is served at night with one cup of half decent quality dry food (I'm using supacoat at the moment). She gets a cup of dry food only in the mornings.

My question is; Am I better off feeding the meat in the morning and the dry only at night? Is there something lacking in the above recipe?

I will alternate what the recipe is made out of every time dependent on what is available at the butcher at the time but always include some organ meat (Never liver in two consecutive batches). I like to include lambs brains and tripe whenever I can though.

Pete.fo1.jpgfo2.JPGfo3.JPGfo4.JPGfo5.JPGfo6.JPGfo7.JPGfo8.jpgfo9.JPGfo10.jpg
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 12-28-2016 at 09:01 PM. Reason: :) title meant to be GOOD food :)

Good on you for looking at feeding raw to your pup ! Why not also look at getting rid of the dry kibble from her diet completely ? She will do a lot better without it and she won’t miss it all !

I bit the bullet ~ 2 months ago and the pups are enjoying their meals. I cut out dry kibble food completely and substituted dry for this product.

http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/com...or-adult-dogs/

I am finding it very economical when compared to dry. I bought a 5kg bag for ~ $58.00 and we still have a bit less than half left.

My 2 get their bones for breakfast – then VAN + meat/fish for dinner. I find this works well for my 2.

What you are feeding raw wise – looks OK. If you can find green tripe – it is much better than the bleached stuff !

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...tink-on-tripe/

Good to see you have broccoli in the mix. My 2 love their vegetables – all varieties. They will even munch quite happily on a carrot for a snack. They also like fruit – cored apples/pears, watermelon, strawberries, bananas and paw-paw !

Part 2: LOL - It appears I can't put all these links in one post - hence the extra posts !

There is heaps of really good info around about raw feeding on the internet. So have a look at the following links to get some more ideas.

One FB group I really like is called - The Raw Feeding Community. It is an international group and is excellent.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/preymodeldiet/

Another one in your area – called - Raw Feeding Adelaide.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/446333222216976/

Both are closed groups so you have to ask to join.

Part 3:

Another couple of good links:

http://www.rawfeddogs.org/rawguide.html

http://perfectlyrawsome.com/

I found this one – which may be in your neck of the woods ! Prices looked to be OK – though I tend to feed human grade raw for my 2.

http://www.thenaturalcanine.com.au/

My guys get 50/50 raw and MFM kibble at the moment.

With the raw I mix up a batch to last 2 months. I generally follow the 80/10/10 rule. So 80% muscle meat (remember that heart is muscle meat, not organ meat). 10% bone and 10% organ meat (5% of which should be liver). I also like to add in 10% veggies but that one is optional.

The perfectly rawsome website is fantastic, it helped me a lot when switching my dogs, cats and ferrets over to raw

I'm also about 50/50 raw and meals for mutts (switching back to black hawk when done with this bag though). Then lots of roo tails and turkey necks on the side.

I buy my raw pre-mixed, previously this great warehouse would grind it all up for me but they closed down last week (i'm so sad!) so I'm migrating to buying preprepared from pawleo. Because a) preprepared saves me times and b) lots of variety in ingredients. I've purchased before and been pretty happy.

Until I get a standalone freezer I can't really mix up any long term batches, so I usually buy about 2-3 weeks worth of raw.

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleTheDog View Post
    I'm also about 50/50 raw and meals for mutts (switching back to black hawk when done with this bag though).
    May I ask why you're switching back to Black Hawk? Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    Why not also look at getting rid of the dry kibble from her diet completely ?
    Hey,

I've been feeding raw for a while. Just thought I'd share the batch I'm making this time.

The plan is to get rid of the kibble BUT as Truffle has a sensitive stomach I'm just easing her out of it. Coming from AWL she got used to kibble and canned food. She's now on raw and kibble. Once she gets used to more bones in her diet I'll cut out the kibble. It's mainly just for keeping her teeth clean(ish) now.

What is this one?

http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/com...or-adult-dogs/

Near as I can tell it's another kibble.

Pete

No urgent reason mdd! Her coat is all flaky on mfm while on black hawk it tends to be smooth and dandruff free. . And she started eating her own poop on mfm but bumping up her meat intake and mixing the mfm with black hawk seems to have fixed that. Both events started about a week into it.

Could just be correlation though

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleTheDog View Post
    No urgent reason mdd! Her coat is all flaky on mfm while on black hawk it tends to be smooth and dandruff free. . And she started eating her own poop on mfm but bumping up her meat intake and mixing the mfm with black hawk seems to have fixed that. Both events started about a week into it.

Could just be correlation though
    Interesting! Different things work for different dogs I found Koda's coat was dull and brittle on BH and switching to MFM made his coat super glossy and soft.

I always find it interesting how some things work for some animals, yet the same thing will not work at all for another! I suppose it's the same with people.

Thread Information