Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on good food

Quote Originally Posted by maddogdodge View Post
    I really want to try chicken feet but can't source any My meat sources are pretty limited unfortunately. I can get chicken heart, liver and giblet at the supermarket. Also lamb kidney and lamb heart at the supermarket. Butchers stock beef heart and lamb brains but nothing else when it comes to those unusual meats.
    Does your butcher sell chickens ? If they do - then ask the butcher to get it in for you. That is what I did and now they stock it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    Does your butcher sell chickens ? If they do - then ask the butcher to get it in for you. That is what I did and now they stock it all the time.
    That is not a bad idea actually! I've thought many times that next time I hatch chicks I should grow the roosters up and then find someone who could kill and prepare them for me to use for the dogs (and for us) Just don't know of anyone who'd do it. I'm too much of a sook to kill them myself.

One thing my butchers do stock which I'd love to try one day for the dogs is whole skinned rabbits Unfortunately they are ridiculously expensive, but maybe one day as a very special treat!

I've added a new ingredient to Truffle's dindins.

Every 2nd day she gets a whole egg now. I've tried the whole egg but she doesn't know what to do with it. Eventually she walks off to the garden and cracks it then licks up the egg (And dirt YAY) but leaves the shell. I've tried cracking it and leaving the shell in the bowl; she just leaves the shell ... I have given her a few leaving the shell out BUT tonight I cracked it, crushed the shell and mixed it in with the food. She ate it all (YAY!!! crowd goes wild ...)

I didn't really care if she ate the shell or not as the amount of calcium it contains is negligible but ... if it's there why not ensure she gets it???

Anyway it's past midnight and I have to get up for work in 4 hours ... I'm going to bed.

Pete.

Here's a question for all you nutrition experts ...

I know Beef heart is VERY high in iron so what % of a dogs diet could beef heart fill?

I have been feeding Truffle a 1/4 heart daily with her meals this week but I can't help but feel this is too much. At the moment she is getting a mix of 1 1/2 cups cooked pulled chicken (just easier this way), 1/4 beef heart, 1 table spoon diced chicken liver, 1 cup random beef muscle meat and 1/2 cup kibble hand fed through the evening as her "dinner" with 1 raw chicken wing and a cup of broccoli or zucchini yoghurt (home made) every second day in a bowl for breakfast with every other day 2 wings and no yoghurt. She also gets a frozen stuffed kong (cooked chicken, beef heart and peanut butter) every day while I'm at work. If I'm not at work she doesn't get the kong as I keep her entertained and busy all day.

I know this isn't properly balanced. I've just not been able to get lamb brains or tripe lately. As soon as I can get brains I'll be adding them BUT should I decrease the amount of heart and increase the chicken in the mean time?

I do freeze the meat solid before giving it to her so worms aren't an issue.

Thanks,
    Pete.

Somewhere on this globe - better known for a lot of people still as disk.

for me (respectively my dog) the best meal is a chunk of bloody meat with bones, tendons and a little bit fat. Dogs need raw meat (not cooked!) as it contains important enzymes the dog can't produce on its own. Cooking the meat destroys those enzymes.

But it shouldn't be minced!

Why not? For humans, the digestion starts in the mouth by chewing the food, where enzymes (amylase) starts breaking down the carbs and the sugar. Dogs can't produce this enzyme (amylase) in their mouth - hence carbs and sugars become gluey and stick to the their teeth; that's why they get black teeth if you feed a lot of kibble. So while a dog's digestion doesn't start in the mouth, there is another reason why eating fast (what most dogs do with mince etc.) isn't good for the dogs' health.

To digest meat requires a low pH value in the stomach (also an advantage when it comes to killing all the bugs and parasites), however, the pH value varies over the day depending on the condition of the stomach (how full it is and type of food). When the meat reaches the stomach, acid is released to lower the pH value. Now imagine if you fill up the stomach in no time - obviously such a scenario makes it much harder for the system to adjust the pH value precisely. Conversely, if you feed a chunk of meat with bones, the dog has to chew it; smaller parts reach the stomach over a longer period making it easy for the system to adjust the pH value precisely. Filling the stomach in no time can prevent that the system lower the pH value fast enough allowing nasty bugs to survive, and resulting in inefficient digestion of the meat; or that the system overshoots, thus lowering the pH too far causing damage to the lining of the stomach. Therefore, feeding slow results in a better digestion, better poo, and much less stress for the system. And of course you have the natural cleaning effect for the teeth via the chewing.
    Last edited by outlaw; 03-20-2017 at 09:51 AM.

wrt heart / iron: I'm not too religious about those ratios, however, I make sure that I don't feed too much liver as it contains vitamin A wich can be - overdosed - toxic. (I recall one story about an artic expedition: there was one artic expedition that struggled to survive, and when they where running out of food they ate their dogs - the dogs, running all day, had an extreme high vitamin A level in the liver, leading to a vitamin A shock and death of the expedition members.)

I never heard that iron in heart is a problem so.

Heart is classed as muscle meat. Heart is very rich in nutrients.

You can feed too much heart. The general rule of thumb is to keep it to 15% or less of the 80% meat part of the diet.

You can feed heart as just 1 meal per week – but not more often than that.

The % in the following link do not have to be followed religiously per meal. I average it over a week to achieve the %s stated.

http://perfectlyrawsome.com/dogs/prey-model-raw-diet/

I don't cook anything and never feed kibble, unless I am on the road for longer than 5 days, which is rare.

I feed my newfoundland dogs from the day I get them as pups or adults.

I feed the species appropriate RAW diet, which is about 20% offal, 20% bone ( more if meaty) and the rest muscle meat... I also feed blitzed raw fruit and veg.
    Mine also get a few extra herbal bits... such as Kelp, rosehip, devils claw, parsley.

I have very active lean healthy newfoundland dogsRaw%20Feeding%20Guide%20.jpg
    Pets are forever

nice sheet - I like that it also highlights the 'poo factor'. First health check in morning: pick up the poo and you know that your dog is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    Heart is classed as muscle meat. Heart is very rich in nutrients.

You can feed too much heart. The general rule of thumb is to keep it to 15% or less of the 80% meat part of the diet.
    [/URL][/B]
    Thanks. Exactly what I was after.

Outlaw; re cooked meat; I am only cooking the chicken at this point as its easier. My wife is crook and so I'm making a lot of soup. I use a slow cooker and keep the juice for stock. Killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Truffle will go onto the purely raw diet again once this is not needed.

Newfsie; I am cutting her kibble down gradually. The amount is halved now from what it was. Hopefully by the end of April she'll not be on kibble at all. Truffle does have a bit of a sensitive stomach so any changes need to be very gradual.

Thanks for the help guys.

Pete.

Thread Information