Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on good food

Quote Originally Posted by ihatewetsocks View Post
    Near as I can tell it's another kibble. Pete
    No - it is not kibble.

http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/wp-...012pp%20DL.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ihatewetsocks View Post
    Hey,
    I've been feeding raw for a while. Just thought I'd share the batch I'm making this time.
    The plan is to get rid of the kibble BUT as Truffle has a sensitive stomach I'm just easing her out of it. Coming from AWL she got used to kibble and canned food. She's now on raw and kibble. Once she gets used to more bones in her diet I'll cut out the kibble. It's mainly just for keeping her teeth clean(ish) now. Pete
    Sorry - If you thought I was having a go at you ! It was not intended ! Tummy problems in pups happen when you change their food too quickly. Is it just tummy problems or other problems - like with her skin/fur ?

2 good articles to read are:

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...ike-crazy.aspx

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...ne-system.aspx

One of the main reasons I went raw with my 2 was that kibble was giving them brown teeth - even with them getting heaps of varieties of bones in their diet. Now their teeth are looking great and their breath smells wonderful !
    Last edited by RileyJ; 12-30-2016 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    One of the main reasons I went raw with my 2 was that kibble was giving them brown teeth - even with them getting heaps of varieties of bones in their diet. Now their teeth are looking great and their breath smells wonderful !
    This comment made me go looking more into VAN. I'm having a similar issue with their teeth, especially finn, his back teeth seem to be a bit brown despite lots of bones and his breath is awful!

What kind of meats to you mix with the VAN? Do you use just muscle meat or organ meats as well?

I find the VAN website a bit miss-leading in that all it says is to feed fresh meat with the complete mix. Yet I went onto their FB page and found someone asked if they should be feeding organ meat as well and VAN responded saying they recommend taking 10% of the muscle meat content out and replacing it with organ meats.

That's one of a few reasons I've stuck with kibble in my dogs diets actually. When it comes to organ meat I like to stick with chicken as they cannot carry hydatid tapeworm. But the only chicken organ i can access is liver... and a balanced meat ratio should be 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organs. So I can't really make a completely balanced meat mix without using organs from animals who do carry hydatid tapeworm :/ So at the moment my logic has been I'll make my meat mix with just 5% liver and skip the other 5% organ and I'll keep feeding a balanced kibble to make up for it.

Sorry - If you thought I was having a go at you ! It was not intended ! \
    Absolutely not at all!

All's well here. (Not sure what I could even have taken offense to),

Thanks,
    Pete.

hehehe I've just given Truffle her first whole egg.

Utterly confused she licked it around and around her bowl for a while, gingerly picked it up and played with it on the grass fir a while. Not even a crack!

Eventually I had to put her out of her misery and picked it up and dropped it in her bowl. She loved it but didn't eat the shell. Oh well, the rest of it went down like lightening!

Pete

Raw eggs are a big favourite here Finn and Dodge know how to eat whole eggs but with Koda I usually crack it ever so sightly for him otherwise he'll sit there for ages rubbing his very front teeth on it trying to chew it open. He's SO gentle with his mouth and very delicate with food.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogdodge View Post
    What kind of meats to you mix with the VAN? Do you use just muscle meat or organ meats as well?
    I mix up enough VAN for 2 meals for my 2. They get VAN only in their evening meal. I don’t mix meat or anything else with it. Just store it in a closed container in the fridge.

I do the mixing in their meal bowls just before feeding them. That way, it is really easy to make the necessary adjustments when needed.

Don’t see that it would be a problem with the prey model. It is all about weight and percentages. So, if you add in something extra – then adjustments have to be made to the amount of VAN and/or mince that you are serving.

I never follow feeding guidelines on dog food containers. My 2 get a variety of different food over a week – not just mince - so that is why I keep VAN separate. So - Yes - my 2 get fish, liver, kidneys, heart and mince over a week - and anything else I can find.

I have never really been concerned about hydatid tapeworms and my pups. That is why I will only ever give my 2 human grade meat. Though in saying that – pork is very rarely on the menu at our place.

I found this article which may allay some of your fears.

http://www.wormboss.com.au/worms/tapeworms/hydatids.php

Eggs are also a favourite at our place ! It is always fun watching them tackle an egg for the first time !

Have you 2 tried giving your pups chicken feet ? My 2 loved them !

I mix up enough VAN for 2 meals for my 2. They get VAN only in their evening meal. I don’t mix meat or anything else with it. Just store it in a closed container in the fridge.

I do the mixing in their meal bowls just before feeding them. That way, it is really easy to make the necessary adjustments when needed.

Don’t see that it would be a problem with the prey model. It is all about weight and percentages. So, if you add in something extra – then adjustments have to be made to the amount of VAN and/or mince that you are serving.

I never follow feeding guidelines on dog food containers. My 2 get a variety of different food over a week – not just mince - so that is why I keep VAN separate. So - Yes - my 2 get fish, liver, kidneys, heart and mince over a week - and anything else I can find.

I have never really been concerned about hydatid tapeworms and my pups. That is why I will only ever give my 2 human grade meat. Though in saying that – pork is very rarely on the menu at our place.

I found this article which may allay some of your fears.

http://www.wormboss.com.au/worms/tapeworms/hydatids.php
    Sounds like your 2 are getting a great diet Definitely something I'd consider in the future.

Eggs are also a favourite at our place ! It is always fun watching them tackle an egg for the first time !

Have you 2 tried giving your pups chicken feet ? My 2 loved them !
    I really want to try chicken feet but can't source any My meat sources are pretty limited unfortunately. I can get chicken heart, liver and giblet at the supermarket. Also lamb kidney and lamb heart at the supermarket. Butchers stock beef heart and lamb brains but nothing else when it comes to those unusual meats.

Thread Information