Thread: Simple exercises to build strength and fitness in a dog?

Default Simple exercises to build strength and fitness in a dog?

So in the last 12 months I've become obsessed with pet nutrition and health. I've been messing with the dogs diets and am finally happy with where we are at. Good poos, beautiful teeth and both dogs are maintaining great weights.

Koda in particular I'm super happy with. He's was too chubby, he's lost 4kg and looking great! Got more energy and is noticeably lighter on his feet, plus the good food has made his coat all shiny and super soft

What I'm wondering now is would he benefit from strength/fitness exercises? Maybe even things working on balance? I've never done much when it comes to strength and fitness with the dogs. He doesn't have heaps of muscle.

Any ideas for fun things we could do?

I'm always looking for new things to do just before he gets his meals

Things we do include:

Sit ups (10 x sits stands and drops)
    doing the sit ups but the front legs or back legs are on a raised surface
    Stand while I hold up one front leg and the opposite back leg. Hold it for 10-15 seconds. Switch legs (so she's balancing on 2 legs)

Walking between rungs on a ladder. Walking ON the rungs of a ladder.

Climbing things. Just...climbing things if various sizes and shapes.

Look up labrador limbo

I really want a Kmart wading pool for her to walk in but until fence is fixed I don't want to risk the neighbours kids getting in.

Swimming..........first, second and last

Cross training. I do Obedience, swimming and agility with nearly all of mine at some level

Core exercises on wobble boards, planks also sit, stand drop on a blow up mattress. I also use peanuts and half balls for mine.

Mine also go on kayaks which requires good balance and is core strengthening
    Pets are forever

Swimming..........first, second and last

Cross training. I do Obedience, swimming and agility with nearly all of mine at some level

Core exercises on wobble boards, planks also sit, stand drop on a blow up mattress. I also use peanuts and half balls for mine.

Mine also go on kayaks which requires good balance and is core strengthening
    Pets are forever

All great ideas, thanks you two Will start working on those ideas over my Christmas break.

Unfortunately Koda absolutely hates still water (will chase moving water, but won't step in any still water) He even avoids puddles... can't get those precious paws wet!

With a lot of encouragement he'll put one paw in the shell pool in my backyard, but he won't go any more than that.

Thread Information