Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barking Collars

'BennyTheBall' - You still seem keen on a bark collar of some sort. Why ?

Are you really sure you have a problem with your pup barking when you are not there ?

How much does he bark when you are home ? If it just the occasional playful bark when you are home - as you said - Are you really sure your pup is causing a problem ?

Have you spoken to your other neighbours to find out whether your pup could be classed as a ‘nuisance barker’ by your local council ? If not – then – Why haven’t you done this ?

Why take just one neighbour’s word on this matter ? I sure wouldn't - particularly if that specific neighbour was the one inciting your pup to bark !

I prefer to find out exactly what is happening with my pups – before I would even think of a remote correction device for any of my pups.

Bark collars may work for some pups – but other pups can still manage to bark with them on. So, don’t think that a bark collar is the ‘be all and end all’ of this ‘supposed’ problem you think you may have.

Please have a look at some sort of surveillance system to find out exactly what your pup is doing and what is happening in your yard. The systems are not that expensive and are easy to DIY.

The cost vs peace of mind is priceless !

https://www.choice.com.au/electronic...des/ip-cameras

I prefer to train instead of ‘so called easy fix contraptions’.

So, have a look at Kikopup’s videos – she covers everything to do with pups and her videos are always excellent. So have a good look around her site.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...20kikopup&sm=1

http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup/videos

What sort of training are you doing with your pup ? Are you doing obedience training with him at a ‘Dog School’ ?

A link you should read is the following:

http://www.dogforum.com.au/showthread.php?t=652

Your pup will or is now starting to go through the ‘Terrible Teenager Time’. Training your pup is really the only way to handle things at this time of your pup’s life !

Then ------- they go through the ‘Terrible Two’s Time’ !

You have a lot to look forward to !

Both of the breeds in your pup are not classed as dumb breeds – they are both classed as hunting breeds - But - the 2 breeds are also slow to mature. You have to look at training your pup as a continuous exercise.

My boy, who is ~ 9 years old – still needs reminders ! My little girl at 2 ½ - is a WIP !

This does read as a bit of "if it's not broken don't fix it". You're doing great and don't have anything to nip in the bud. Bringing a collar into it should be a last ditch move when nothing else works. But you've set

But there's nothing abnormal going on? Please don't bend over for this neighbour, it might seem easier but could have long lasting damage on your dog. Which will cause more trouble in the long run for all of you.

Your neighbour is, quite frankly, being unreasonable.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions re IP cameras, etc. I think some clarification is needed. My dog does NOT have any barking or unusual behavioral issues. He is extremely sociable and smart and is trained by us using positive reinforcement and knows most of the usual commands including having good table manners. The only time he barks is when we're playing, usually chasing each other around the yard. The neighbour in question is known to be difficult and does not like nor own dogs. Hence his idea of training is if dog doesn't listen or does something "wrong", you just smack him silly until he gets the message. To be fair, I don't think he aggravates or wind up my dog as we have a solid block boundary wall. The issue here is we've spent thousands building a nice self contained 5x3m enclosure/run outside adjoining the laundry for our dog. He has always been living indoors with us and sleeps in the laundry and is not used to being locked out alone by himself. Hence the initial barking which I feel is quite normal until he gets used to the new environment. We have made the transition gradual and got him familiar with the run first before finally confining him in. I have explained this to neighbour and told him what we were trying to achieve and to expect a little barking initially. Despite us doing this midday, he wouldn't have any of it. Hence the abuse and threats. Now I don't have a fetish on bark collars and only considered it because I've run out of ideas of how to get dog accustomed to new home without a whimper. Barking is what dogs do, would be great if I can just tell him to keep quiet. Neither do I want council on my case. My young son is now worried that council may do something to our dog despite my assurances.

Your neighbours an ass mate.

Collar or not your dog might bark on occasion in the run as he settles. And I'd worry the collar would make the kennel a negative place for him.

I guess you could dial it way back and go real slow on the introduction. Don't tell your neighbour when you're leaving your dog out there and I bet he won't know what time to complain and make empty threats.

Just start with the usual "leave dog in run for 5 minutes and reward" then extend to 10 minutes after a few days of the random 5 minutes multiple times in the day. Then 15 then 20... when he just starts to get one of the times, keep at it for another day so he's REALLY good at hanging around for that duration of time. Have him in there with a big bone and take him out before he does sook a bit. Kongs and toys. Make the run a habit that he goes in and out every couple of days. Turn it into a paradise of food and soft destroyable dog toys. Teaching him alone time is nice quiet calm time. If he gets excited when you come over - turn around and ignore him. Only let him out when he sits down quietly. That's prob when he's most likely to sook and you really can't avoid it as you need him to realise sooking doesn't get him out. Maybe you can time this for when your empty threats neighbour is inside his house. The second his sooking is quieter and his bum hits the ground you let him out quietly and calmly. Rinse and repeat, slowly increasing duration. (When you hit him hanging out quietly for an hour extend it to two hours but then do some 30 minutes so he doesn't think it means extended alone time every time

Teach him some focus exercises. If he wants something he's got to look at you quietly. Do this for anything and everything so it becomes habit. What's dinner? Look at you calmly. Wants to go outside? Look at you calmly. Wants a pat? Look at you calmly. Google impulse control exercises. By learning to keep himself calm he won't get as over excited that leads into the odd bark.

He's young and smart, he'll pick it up quickly.

I don't think anything you do will please that neighbour. You could threaten him back for making unreasonable threats over nothing? Councils gonna be on your side for this.

For now just stick to the game plan while the dog is young and teach him the run is a great quiet place. Young dogs you get more bang for your buck so I would expect him to have it down in s few weeks with daily repetitions.

Barring the odd teenager rebellion but he'll grow out of that
    Last edited by ThistleTheDog; 12-21-2016 at 09:03 AM.

I am very pleased you are looking at other alternatives to a bark collar ! I think you may have gathered – I do not like them !

Is it possible to put a few photos up of this run that you have made for your pup ? If we can see what you are talking about – we could make some realistic suggestions to help you.

Would also love to see some photos of your pup – Please !

What you need to do is teach your pup to be happy by himself with and without you lot around. So - have a look at Kikopup’s ‘Home alone’ in this next link. It will take some time – but persevere with it.

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sour...20home%20alone

You do have a very smart pup there – but also remember he is still very young. So he has still heaps of things to learn. They are like sponges – but have the concentration span of a gnat ! So heaps of practise is needed – but in short time spans.

Keep on doing what you are doing. Most importantly – make it fun for you all.

Forming a close bond with your pup – based on trust and respect – is when all the fun starts. You will be amazed at what you and the pup can achieve. Trust and respect between you and your pup goes both ways.

As far as your neighbour is concerned - set some boundaries with him and stop allowing him to control what you do on your own property.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look at all the videos and continue to phase him in over a longer period of time. Right now the gates are open and he is free to wonder in and out. He have his meals, and uses the "toilet" in there and is very happy provided he's free to run in and out. I think he has separation anxiety which is why he barks when tied up or confined on his own but I could be wrong. I'll give it a few weeks or more and see how it goes.

Never knew about terrible 2's and teenage problems but I did notice he's getting very cheeky, persistent and would test the boundaries. Yesterday alone, he chewed up my sunglasses and car keys which he helped himself from the kitchen table when no one's looking. Even the usual treats doesn't always work now. His attention span's not too bad but he does get easily distracted by people and other dogs when out for walks. We're thinking of getting him desexed in Jan on the advice of our vet.

Don't worry, keep at your work and the teenage issues will pass and you'll get a good dog out of it

I've got a friend with a dog who has sep anxiety. I'll ask her what she's been doing to make it comfortable home alone.

Thread Information