Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truffle's first off leash beach trip

Default Truffle's first off leash beach trip

Hi all,

Truffle and I took a little beach trip today.

A 38 minute trip from home and NO car sickness! (YAY)

A little trip to West Lakes and we started with her leash still attached but without me holding on. This went very well so the leash came off.

Her recall went really well with a couple of glitches when a cat turned up and when a cyclist passed by. No big dramas and she still came when called - I just had to be slightly sterner.

Truffle is also starting to get used to the water too; she walked out to me about half way up her belly. Big brave girl!

t5.jpgt3.jpgt2.jpgt1.jpg

We're starting to make some progress. A long way to go but we're working on it She's very tired now. A big day ...

Pete.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ihatewetsocks; 12-18-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Beach trips are always fun! My poodle had his first beach trip a few weeks ago

It is useful when starting to clip the lead on every now and again so the dog does not associate the lead going on with going and the fun stopping. My pup made that connection quickly and we learned the hard way.

a cat at the beach and she came back? wow! well done

Quote Originally Posted by farrview View Post
    It is useful when starting to clip the lead on every now and again so the dog does not associate the lead going on with going and the fun stopping.
    Good tip thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleTheDog View Post
    a cat at the beach and she came back? wow! well done
    Yes I was a bit surprised but she did well.

She lives with a cat and they are really good together 99% of the time. I suspect she lived with a cat previously too.

Pete

Heaps of kudos ! You 2 are doing so well together ! It is still very early days – but what a relationship you 2 are building !

A 38 minute trip from home and NO car sickness! (YAY)
    Well Done ! Where are you 2 looking to go next time ?

We're starting to make some progress. A long way to go but we're working on it She's very tired now. A big day ...
    Trusting anyone takes time !

The boy I have now came to me as a 2 year old re-home. Even though my previous little girl loved him to bits at first sight – it took him 6 months to really believe that he was finally safe here.

Keep up with your very sensible and caring attitude with your new girl !

Pretty sure the path and area around West Lakes is "dog on lead" as all road related areas are (which include cycle paths and footpaths).

Grange oval between Trimmer Parade and Fort St is dog off lead provided there is no organised sport on, or away from the organised sport.

And the beach (West Lakes Shore or Tennyson) is dog off lead before 10am and after 8pm in summer.

Lots of people break the rules but the rangers are pretty dilligent. Dogs off lead can be a real hazard for cyclists and joggers on the path around West Lakes itself.

I'm not sure why you'd drive 38 minutes and then stop at West Lakes when the real beach is less than one minute more.

Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    Well Done ! Where are you 2 looking to go next time ?
    I'm not actually too hopeful about our next trip. Christmas day we're heading to my Fathers in Maslin Beach nearly 1.5 hours away.

The plan is to drive down Christmas eve at night when it won't be so hot and stop at West Lakes and then again at Reynella. We'll stop again if needed. I've got to work Christmas day so I'll head out and come back for the family dinner.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    I'm not sure why you'd drive 38 minutes and then stop at West Lakes when the real beach is less than one minute more.
    Hi Hyacinth, Yes I do believe that beach area is on leash (sign states on leash on walk way but says nothing about the beach). I have been going there for a LONG time with Bailey and I've never seen a ranger nor had an issue with any of the public. I always put Bailey on leash if anyone else came onto the beach and will do the same with Truffle.

We went there as there was no-one else around and I am trying to encourage her to enjoy the water. With no waves it's more inviting for Truffle.

Pete
    Last edited by ihatewetsocks; 12-21-2016 at 05:15 PM. Reason: clarification

Thread Information