Thread: whew what a walk!

Default whew what a walk!

Bit of a stressful and eventful walk/training session! We're home now and Thistle carried herself incredibly well!

Basically every thursday or friday I take her to a pet store while puppy classes are on and late night shopping. We walk around practicing being calm, impulse control, looking at people, heeling, tricks, recall...whatever feels right depending on the business of the store.

Tonight started averagely enough, speed walked past some goldens in the doorway and started doing our thing. Little while in, another dog saw us as we came out of an aisle, saw we were on a collision course with them and turned for a different aisle. The dog started screaming! Like full on screaming and scrambling at us! Never heard a dog scream before (except the time Thistle was attacked and it was more yelping-screams, this was a throaty scream). Anyway, Thistle was alarmed but we calmly walked away and she offered focus as we did. Very brave doggo!

We did some backs in the aisle cause it's our entry in weekly competition at dog school this week. It was not good, entering anyway

Watched puppy classes walk around and rewarded looking at me or watching calmly ( no concern-ears or leaning forwards!)

What then kept us occupied for the next 20-40 minutes was...after class ended...one of the owners gave lead of small pup to a small child! Who then started running laps of the store! It is a big store with wide aisles but I still expect a small child with a small puppy running around loudly could be alarming. For the first 10 minutes we hid in the aquarium aisle and practiced our backs and also our stands with a staff member.

Then we went to the vet section and people watched, anytime I heard the running kids coming I would put Thistle behind the vet's counter (they were closed and we have special "weekly visitor privileges aka can hide in staff areas if need be"

Also had to be careful as kittens in the rescue kitten adoption "shed" and Thistle would like to kill them. We did some recalls from them, at a distance where she was least "tunnel visioned"

Continued to avoid the running children at santas corner (she was more curious than alarmed, but I was stressed to high hell they'd run into us or drop the puppies lead or tread on this tiny little puppy!)

Got cornered by the running children! I asked thistle to stand on the mini forklift in case they dropped the lead and small puppy ran over. Answered some questions (what is she! is she a dalmation*?) while also telling them "she's shy, you can look but don't touch. your puppy is too small to say hello". They went on their way. Polite kids.

(she concerned, always so concerned. I was getting tail wags though, she wags a little more in the store every week)

Followed a lady with a big rattling trolley about as she cleaned. Did Stand For Exam with another staff member

Showed fave staff member ( a male~~) her new trick. Complimented on her adorableness

Thistle was alarmed at a big tall guy walking past at a distance. He was just walking but very big. But she didn't hide behind me, just sat down and watched him go past.

Children accidentally ran into us, managed to untangle, avoid any k9 incidents and go on our ways (they even apologised! Feeling a bit sorry for the tired puppy though).

Then we went home, with a "leave it" successfully past a smushed bigmac in the car park.

What a night!

We are both exhausted. It's not normally THAT busy or tricky to navigate
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds hectic, but also sounds like Thistle and you did a fantastic job!! Well done to you!

As for screaming dog... That is what Koda used to do when he saw other dogs... He would scream, bark, growl, lunge and just generally lose his mind. Thank goodness now he's at the point he can generally walk past most dogs without losing his mind, haha. I don't think he'll ever be the type of dog that can just meet any new dog without batting an eye though.

Finn is perfect with other dogs, his natural ability to understand doggy body language astounds me, just something I'm not used to! I still find no matter what dog I'm walking at the time, I always still get a jolt of fear when another dog comes within sight... Then I have to remind myself that Finn and Dodge are cool with other dogs. I think that is something that tends to stick with anyone who has owned/trained a reactive dog!

We were mostly surprised! We've had dogs barking at us, howling, growling...but thats the first time a dog opened it's mouth and screamed! I didn't even know they could do that outside of special circumstances

I wonder if they are a new dog in the area, or perhaps doing some training? Or could be the local foster group. Always curious about dogs I have not seen before! It was a smaller side of medium apricot and white type....staffie cross maybe? with terrier? Cute little thing, walking nicely on lead before seeing us.

We dawdled a bit on leaving also because Mr Old Samoyed was getting water in the doorway. He's a nice dog, but says hello by jumping on people/dogs so we avoid him.

I expect that will be me too I just hope my nervousness won't travel down the lead to the future dogs and confuse them. It is why I think I will attempt to go the "indifferent/neutral to dogs" route. So even if other dogs come up, my future ones will hopefully just ignore and tolerate them and I don't have to overthink any extended interactions XD XD (witnessed mum and dad on separate occasions doing just that when more excited dogs run up to them, hoping it's a gene/personality thing and not an age thing!)

Edit oh! The * I never explained in original post

* second time someone has asked if she is a dalmation! Delights me hahaha.
    Last edited by ThistleTheDog; 12-10-2016 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogdodge View Post
    Sounds hectic, but also sounds like Thistle and you did a fantastic job!! Well done to you!

As for screaming dog... That is what Koda used to do when he saw other dogs... He would scream, bark, growl, lunge and just generally lose his mind. Thank goodness now he's at the point he can generally walk past most dogs without losing his mind, haha. I don't think he'll ever be the type of dog that can just meet any new dog without batting an eye though.

Then I have to remind myself that Finn and Dodge are cool with other dogs. I think that is something that tends to stick with anyone who has owned/trained a reactive dog!
    Yes I have owned a screamer as well. Pure reactive fear, her anal glands would sometimes blow as well. I learn't not to put her in a situation like that, bad for the reactive dog and other people's dogs in the vicinity. I was eventually able to but it took a lot of hard work under threshold and I was always fully prepared and watching her body language.

Thistle sounds like she did well!

Thread Information