Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Which dog is right for me?

If you like large fluffy dogs bearded collies are quite nice. There is one I know that does agility and seems a really nice dog to live with. Lots of grooming though and one would need to find a good breeder. I have working bred dogs now as I run sheep, but I did have a showbred BC and she was smart, chilled, loved a walk and was a very social and sweet dog, not particularly high drive but highly trainable. All my working dogs are used to be left penned for periods of time but they get plenty of attention and stimulation when I am home so it doesn't seem to bother them. In suburbia my cattle dogs were also well used to it and they had a dog door to get into the house.

I would not look on gumtree for a dog - it's way to depressing and a bit of a magnet for scammers.

I would start here, and maybe contact some of the rescues that have dogs you like - directly... it's similar to getting a puppy from a breeder - they like to get to know you and yours a bit first. And some of them will look at your hours away from home and just say no - even tho you're looking for an older dog. But there are some that will understand and really appreciate someone who is not all about puppies. If you do like a corgie or a sheltie (both herding breeds so have the same need for mental stimulation or trick training)... maybe find the breed club in your state and ask them if they know of any older dogs available or how to find out. A lot of breed clubs run rescues and foster programs.
    https://www.petrescue.com.au/

There is also "australian working dog rescue" which often has older dogs. If you're willing to put in five to ten minutes a day on the mental stuff, trick training etc - then you can often over come any baggage. I got my dog from Animal Welfare League at 10 weeks old - so any problems she has are my fault.

Do (re) toilet train an older dog the same as if it was a puppy, it needs to learn where the right place to go is in each new environment.

Thanks for all the suggestions

I visited my soon to be new home today, and after seeing how small my new backyard is going to be I've resolved myself to a small breed of dog. No golden retriever for me

I'm looking now at breeds like a Shetland Sheepdog, Corgi, Cavapoo or some sort of small mixed breed. Does anyone know much about these type of breeds, and whether they'd be a good fit for me?

Border collie x corgi, and border collie x cocker spaniels are so CUTE!! But I have no idea what they are like personality wise, which is much more important.

I have to admit as an owner of working Border collies I find it somewhat distasteful to mix a BC with another breed. I cant imagine a scrupulous breeder doing these mixes unless it was for a very good reason and not sure I can think of one with a corgi or spaniel. Cute is not a reason, think puppy farm or BYB. You could end up with anything with the worst or best of both breeds and anything in between. The word Border collie doesn't really fit with very small backyard especially if the cross is made with a high drive BC, that would be your worst nightmare unless of course you had a lot of time to exercise and train. Frankly a Golden Retriever would be a better fit than anything with working BC in it.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 12-10-2016 at 08:52 PM.

How do Aussies shepherds compare to border collies activity wise? I believe they also come in miniature?

Perhaps a sheltie?

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleTheDog View Post
    How do Aussies shepherds compare to border collies activity wise? I believe they also come in miniature?

Perhaps a sheltie?
    The shelties and Aussies I know are very active dogs and would have a reasonably high demand for stimulation I would imagine to prevent undesirable behaviours developing. I don't think the miniature Aussie is currently recognised as a registered breed, make sure any breeders are doing the relevant genetic testing like for PRA etc. I would think that looking for a small breed that is not going to be very high maintenance would be the go. All dogs need mental and physical stimulation, just some more than others and it doesn't always have anything to do with size. I have kept working breed dogs in suburbia but always had a decent backyard and I was walking probably 2 hours a day rain, hail or shine and they always came with me on hikes etc on the weekend.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 12-11-2016 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleTheDog View Post

Perhaps a sheltie?
    My experience of Aussies vs BC is they aren't too different. I'd say they have the same activity levels but Aussies are probably just not quite as demanding and full on about it. I think Koda would go nuts in a tiny backyard with no other dogs. He'd make up his own games to entertain himself, lol!

Mini Aussies are not in Australia at the moment and I believe Aussie shepherd people weren't happy about them being called Mini aussies, so they've just been recognised in America as 'Mini American Shepherds'.

I got to see my uncle's 8 week Aussie today, so gorgeous! Our BC loved him, they had a ball playing. But neither is probably a good dog for me Unfortunately the type of dogs I love are too much for me to handle on my own and working all the time.
    Very much considering a corgi. My mum use to show them when she was a kid, so she's very supportive of the idea. :P

I love shetlands, but my kelpiexsheltie cross was very high strung..

Any other small breed suggestions? I'm not familiar with small breeds, use to big ones.

My new backyard is 10x4.5m... so quite small, I will have a good size park nearby, and I have no problem with walking my dog each day its more leaving them home alone while I'm at work that worries me. When I'm home they can be right under my feet and I'll be blissfully happy.

I must say I've been looking at lots of rescue groups and pounds to see if their are any rescues out there that would suit me. Its so heart breaking to see how many dogs need homes, and makes me feel guilty for not trying to take one on, but a lot of them come with so much baggage... and I'm not sure I'd be a better home then anywhere else for them. Also makes me realise I need to be patient and not just pick up any dog, as I don't want to add to the problem by getting dog I can't cope with..

I think you'll find most dogs don't entertain themselves overly when nobody is home. As long as you're exercising their body and brains when you are around, they'll probably sleep while you're at work.

Have you considered fostering? A try before you buy and help out another dog with finding a home even if you don't keep it. Would also help you plan out a routine and better find out what kind of dog is going to work with you

And keep in mind, no dog or puppy will be perfect in the first few days of everything being changed and in a new home, they'll make mistakes. Just need patience and routine then you can find out what kind of personality is there.

Thread Information