Thread: Home Alone Puppy trouble

Default Home Alone Puppy trouble

Hi all, we have a 11 week old American staffy names Kingston. He will sleep through the night in his crate, without accident until we force him to come outside for toilet.
    During the day, some days, we need to leave him home alone and rather than crate him, we give him the whole puppy-proofed kitchen to stay in.
    He had been doing great, and peeing on his mat, until a couple of days ago when he started shredding his pee mat. (I bought him a grass patch but we are waiting for it to arrive)
    Today we came home and he has pooped everywhere and smeared the poop all over the floor, walls and toys.

What can we do to prevent this happening again?

Kingston has had 2/3 of his injections and cannot go for walks yet. We have enrolled him in puppy school to commence next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He had been doing great, and peeing on his mat, until a couple of days ago when he started shredding his pee mat. (I bought him a grass patch but we are waiting for it to arrive)

Today we came home and he has pooped everywhere and smeared the poop all over the floor, walls and toys.
    Do you take him out and exercise him for 10 or 15 minutes including some basic trick training like "collar grab" and "its yer choice", "go to a mat" etc before you lock him in the house.

Seems like he's getting stressed out about being alone when he didn't before. Something may have happened when he was on his own that freaked him out...

Maybe feed him his morning meal - earlier and make sure you have a toilet stop about 30 mins after (set a timer if you have to).

He will probably shred the grass when you get it too. He may also be having teething problems and need something sturdy to chew on - for a staffy - I'm thinking a few black kongs stuffed with his brekky or lunch ration and frozen. Don't bother with the red kong or puppy kong for this one - he will shred those and may eat the pieces - not good.

I did leave my puppy in the crate when i went out - I had a wire one. Kitchen / laundry may be "puppy proof" but there are so many ways to shred the walls you would not believe what some dogs can eat. Kitchen cupboards, skirting boards, shoes, toilet rolls...

He may also be entering something called a "fear period" in his development and be a lot more anxious than usual. I would consider providing him with a cardboard box that can double as a den (with protection all round and over - ie put it on its side) and a chew toy...

http://k9protraining.com.au/2005/10/...ment-schedule/

And I would limit his access to exclude the kitchen. There's no way I want dog poo all over the kitchen.

Sometimes leaving the talking radio (with calm and happy voice eg abc not 2GB) can help, and maybe some DAP diffuser (Calming hormones).

Sounds very normal for his age. When puppies are very little eg 8 weeks - they sleep a lot. When they get a bit older - they start exploring and getting into "trouble". Your job is to wear their brains out and prevent opportunities to get into trouble.

Oh and you may want to organise play dates with dogs or puppies you know have been vaccinated... than wait until he's too old to socialize properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Do you take him out and exercise him for 10 or 15 minutes including some basic trick training like "collar grab" and "its yer choice", "go to a mat" etc before you lock him in the house.

Seems like he's getting stressed out about being alone when he didn't before. Something may have happened when he was on his own that freaked him out...

Maybe feed him his morning meal - earlier and make sure you have a toilet stop about 30 mins after (set a timer if you have to).

He will probably shred the grass when you get it too. He may also be having teething problems and need something sturdy to chew on - for a staffy - I'm thinking a few black kongs stuffed with his brekky or lunch ration and frozen. Don't bother with the red kong or puppy kong for this one - he will shred those and may eat the pieces - not good.

I did leave my puppy in the crate when i went out - I had a wire one. Kitchen / laundry may be "puppy proof" but there are so many ways to shred the walls you would not believe what some dogs can eat. Kitchen cupboards, skirting boards, shoes, toilet rolls...

He may also be entering something called a "fear period" in his development and be a lot more anxious than usual. I would consider providing him with a cardboard box that can double as a den (with protection all round and over - ie put it on its side) and a chew toy...

http://k9protraining.com.au/2005/10/...ment-schedule/

And I would limit his access to exclude the kitchen. There's no way I want dog poo all over the kitchen.

Sometimes leaving the talking radio (with calm and happy voice eg abc not 2GB) can help, and maybe some DAP diffuser (Calming hormones).

Sounds very normal for his age. When puppies are very little eg 8 weeks - they sleep a lot. When they get a bit older - they start exploring and getting into "trouble". Your job is to wear their brains out and prevent opportunities to get into trouble.

Oh and you may want to organise play dates with dogs or puppies you know have been vaccinated... than wait until he's too old to socialize properly.
    Thank you so much! This has been great! We take him outside as much as we can for playtime and some training. He was much better the day afterwards, I think it may have had to do with his c5 vaccination! I'm very much looking forward to being able to walk him. Will hopefully tire him out. Thanks again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C5 can leave them feeling a bit crap for a couple of days after while their immune system does its thing...

With a dog - you don't just want to tire him out on a long walk -you want to wear his brain out too - hence trick training - any trick will do. (shake hands, hi fives, perch work, back up, sit/stand/drop/roll over/spin/ twist. Loose lead heel - forwards, backwards, backwards turns, forwards turns, sideways - away and towards the dog....)

If you only do longer and longer walks - you just end up with fitter and fitter bored destructo dog...

Thread Information