Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing ... Truffle

Default Introducing ... Truffle

Hi all,

So 5 1/2 months ago I said a very sad farewell to my good friend Bailey of 13 years (Picture in my avatar). He was such a loyal companion and we saw some very hard/challenging times together along with a LOT of fantastic times.

5 months have passed and I still miss him like crazy (Bringing a tear to my eye now and choking up too it's amazing) but the wife and I have a lot of love to give and we had an opportunity to share this with a rescue dog.

Off we went to AWL in wingfield and there we found little old Truffle. Truffle was very nervous and was not a happy puppy. A 3 year old staffy cross who was taken in as a stray. We think she was beaten or abused in some way earlier. She was clearly a pet at some stage as she's house trained BUT she wouldn't let anyone near her apparently. This was not the case with us. She took an instant liking to both of us and jumped into our arms when we entered the enclosure.

We got her home and 2 weeks later her and our 8 year old cat Sushi (RSPCA rescue) are happily co-existing - we aren't leaving them inside together unsupervised yet but they are sleeping together in our bedroom at night now. I am amazed how quick that was!

Truffle does get spooked easily still with loud noises and sometimes does cower away when I move quickly or abruptly (when she's on my right hand side as I'm blind in my right eye and don't know she's there) but quickly realises there's no danger and starts wagging her tail again.

We've had her in the family for 2 weeks now and she already walks well on leash, sits, shakes hands, plays fetch. I'm having a bit of trouble getting her to come when called under any distraction. I take her to the oval at night when there is no-one else around and have her on a long line (I let her out around 15-20 meters) and start pulling her in as I call her. This has about 60/40 success. There is too much to distract her in our back yard so at home it's about 20/80 success but we'll continue and get there eventually!

My main problem is that she get's INCREDIBLY car sick. My poor Hilux smells like a rich vomit casserole now I'm taking her for short drives at the moment to tryget her used to the car but if that doesn't work she'll go to the vet for advice. I like taking dogs to the beach but I live 45 minutes away so she can't get there feeling well!

Pete.

Also not sure why the photo quality is so poor or why it went so small on the screen - computers aren't my cup of tea

truufle1.jpg
    Last edited by ihatewetsocks; 11-26-2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: explaining I can't use computers and photo is terrible :)

She is gorgeous

Staffy's aren't usually my type of dog, but she really is beautiful!

Yeah Staffy's usually don't overly appeal to me either but unfortunately shelters here are full of them because people get them without realising how much work they are and how much exercise they need.

There's something special about this one ...

Petetruufle2.jpg
    Last edited by ihatewetsocks; 11-26-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Lovely colour, lots of love ahead for you and Truffle

Aww Truffle looks so sweet! Sounds like landing on her feet in the right family for her! What a lucky dog and family you are, I'm sure she'll give lots of love back at you!

(haha i hate wet socks too)

It is always very sad times when you lose a pup ! I find the first year after this happens the hardest. But - we still go back and get another pup ! Maybe we are just suckers for punishment ? Or – maybe each pup in our lives teaches us things that changes us ?

Congratulations on your new pup and heaps of kudos to you 3 for getting a rescue ! She looks like she is a gorgeous pup !
    Allowed on the couch – tsk, tsk, tsk !

Good stuff with the pussy cat after only after 2 weeks ! You 4 have done well ! What breed do you think your pussy cat is ?

As far as the recall training - practise, practise and more practise !

A link that I like is all about the 3s for situations with a new pup:

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/the...fuse-a-new-dog

Truffle does get spooked easily still with loud noises and sometimes does cower away when I move quickly or abruptly (when she's on my right hand side as I'm blind in my right eye and don't know she's there) but quickly realises there's no danger and starts wagging her tail again.
    It is still very early days with this little girl of yours. You may think she is comfortable with you all – but she is still continuously working out what is what in this new place (zoo) she finds herself in.

She will get more confident once she works out she is safe and is staying with you. This all takes time ! Don’t change the noise level where you are and don’t try and take her to places that are very quiet. If she sees you not being worried at all – you will find she will change her attitude about these things.

Don’t worry about consoling her when she gets frightened – it is all about building up a fantastic relationship with your pup.

Another link for you - Thunderstorms may be the topic – but the article is relevant for any other fears:

https://www.patriciamcconnell.com/th...-thunderstorms

My pup Riley was a re-home. It took 6 months before he really and truly believed – that where he was – with me and my little GSP girl – that this was his final home and he was safe !

I suggest you find another name for this little girl – if you haven’t already. That is what I did with Riley. Was the best thing I did !

My main problem is that she get's INCREDIBLY car sick. My poor Hilux smells like a rich vomit casserole now I'm taking her for short drives at the moment to try get her used to the car but if that doesn't work she'll go to the vet for advice. I like taking dogs to the beach but I live 45 minutes away so she can't get there feeling well!
    LOL – What did your vehicle smell like before she first got in it ? Don’t underestimate a pup’s sense of smell. Maybe it is time to do or get a complete car detail done and start again ?

If you haven’t taken her to a vet for a check-up – I would do that. I would get the vet to definitely check her ears.

There are many reasons why pups get sick in the car. A few reason are because – they can’t see out; they get hot; are fed before going out in the car; have problems with their ears which causes loss of balance. Once they get sick in the car – then it is more likely they will be sick again – unless you change things about your car trips.

Keep on doing what you doing – small – but many trips. Five minutes in the car – stop, then both of you get out and have a fun walk around. A little drink of water for the both of you – then repeat many times. Make car travel fun and interesting for her.

Good Luck !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys.

Riley, Actually that is her bed not the couch but yes Bailey had a couch to herself and so now Truffle does too.

Sushi the cat is a mixed breed domestic house cat (The photo's I have of her are too large and won't load but I'll try make it work).

The hilux smelled like a ... well I don't know but MUCH better before. I think I need to get a detail done! My windows have been open for the past few days to air it out! I'm sure the high stiff suspension and generally uncomfortable ride in the the Hilux is not helping but unfortunately it's the only personal car I have. The other car is a company car and I can't take her in it. She had a vet check at the AWL but I'll take her to our vet just to double check there is nothing going on.

re; her being scared yeah she'll work out her place. I just hate seeing an innocent animal cowering away. If only she could tell me her story!

I'm sure we'll have lots of fun together in the coming months/years.

Thanks!
    Pete.
    Last edited by ihatewetsocks; 11-29-2016 at 05:59 PM.

Here we are 1 week later and a trip to a new park around 15 minutes drive from home.

NO sickness in the car YEAH BOI!!!!

about 40% success come when called without pulling on the rope.

Again really bad photos. My phone used to take good photos but just wont take a clear non pixelated photo of Truffle! It's a conspiracy I tells ya.

truffle3.jpg
    truffle4.jpg
    truffle5.jpg
    Last edited by ihatewetsocks; 12-04-2016 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added photos

Love reading updates like this !

Well Done the pair of you ! What a 'Team' you 2 will be ! Keep it up !

Very impressed - no sickness in the car ! There will be no stopping you 2 on your travels now.

Recall is something that comes with time. Practise, Practise and more practise ! Are you using high value treats ?

Looks very much like a delightful scruffy truffle!

Thread Information