Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White grain looking things in poo?? UPDATE: Mystery solved!

Default White grain looking things in poo?? UPDATE: Mystery solved!

Another poo question from me... sorry guys... and this one has photos!

I noticed Dodge did a very strange looking poo last week. Full of white thing that look just like pieces of wheat... I watched her poos for the next couple of days and it seems every poo is the same... First thing I did is worm her to rule out any parasites... It's been a few days since then and she still has these in her poo... Next thought is it is something she's eating... But I have no idea what it could possibly be, she has no access to anything that looks like this. She did have access to some chicken layer pellets but they look nothing like these... I have put them out of her reach anyway just to rule it out.

Just wondered if anyone might have some ideas of what could be going on here? If it doesn't clear up soon, she'll be going to the vet, with a poo sample.

15175629_1430110510341719_1765824440_n.jpg

This second photo is a different one that has been run over by a car and flattened out.
    15218237_1430110560341714_1001627339_n.jpg
    Last edited by maddogdodge; 03-23-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Looks like plant/grain seeds to me !

What are the ingredients in the chicken pellets ? Maybe break open some of the pellets and see what is inside !

Are you growing any grain crops at home ?

Exactly my thoughts RileyJ, looks like whole grain/seeds! Looks like wheat to me with that distinct line down the middle of them!

Just took a pic of the layer pellets so you can see what they look like... Similar colour, but wrong shape and they dissolve quite easily in fluid so wouldn't have thought they'd come out like that!
    15211682_1430302353655868_1532614485_n.jpg

Not growing any crops. We are letting the grass grow so we can cut hay this year, but other than that, nothing. I'm pondering asking the neighbours if they have any cattle feed that looks like this... Maybe she's sneaking over and stealing some?

I'm totally stumped on this one, haha!

What brand of chicken pellets do you use ?

Did you break the pellet open to see what was in it ?

What sort of grass are you allowing to grow ? Grass seeds can have the line down the middle – like in your photo.

Definitely need to do your homework on this !

I would actually try and grow these seeds and see what you get !

Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    What brand of chicken pellets do you use ?
    Barastoc Layer Pellets - Keep in mind she no longer has access to these and hasn't for at least 24 hours. Will see if her poo changes at all.

Did you break the pellet open to see what was in it ?
    Yes, they look just the same on the inside as the outside. If you break it, it just looks like a shorter piece of what's there, if you crush it, you get a powder.

What sort of grass are you allowing to grow ?
    Just native pasture grasses, none with seeds like that... However we do have the occasional patch of Barley Grass pop up, which is a weed and we try to kill it whenever we see it.... Upon googling what the seeds of that look like, they look very similar. So I'm going to go outside now and to a hunt around to see if there's any patches of the stuff growing that I didn't know about!

Brilliant idea to grow the seeds, haha would be interesting to see what happens!

ETA: I think the seeds I found on google are normal barley seeds, not barley grass (the weed) seeds... so maybe haven't found the source of this yet... We definitely don't have normal barley here, just the barley grass weed. I'm still going to go and find some and have a good inspection of it to make sure.
    Last edited by maddogdodge; 11-23-2016 at 06:21 PM.

How did your walk around go ? Did you find Dodge’s secret stash ? That was a heap of seeds in her poo !

I am lucky my 2 just eat the new shoots of grass – no seeds !

Cherry tomatoes ? Well that is another story !
    Strawberries/apples/passion fruit/pawpaws/mandarins – also another story !

No secret stash to be found

I found some of the barley grass weed hidden out the back of a shed but it's definitely not what I'm looking for.

15151000_1430438286975608_488256838_n.jpg 15218296_1430438250308945_1953110192_n.jpg

I caught her attempting to do a poo out in the paddock, so I went and had a look for it... It was only a very small bit of poo, no seeds this time. She continued to strain after doing that tiny poo so I'm thinking she's feeling constipated. I've secured her to the back yard and am going to keep her in there (instead of being allowed to roam the farm) for 48 hours or so to monitor her... I suppose if it clears up being locked in the backyard that would indicate whatever it is that she is eating, it's not in the back yard.

This has me intrigued !

I think you are on the right track regarding barley. Did you open up the 'ears' to see the shape of the seeds ?

Barley seed:

http://www.herbiguide.com.au/Descrip...rley_Grass.htm

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=b...PBD9YQ_AUICCgB

Wheat seed:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=w...HRK-D5sQsAQIGQ

Your Dad doesn’t have any grain seeds in a shed somewhere ?
    Methinks you need to put a G o Pr o on the little minx and see where her secret stash is !
    Last edited by RileyJ; 11-25-2016 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Oopps !

Yeah has to be whole cereal grain, wheat, barley or triticale springs to mind. Cereals are not grown in pods, they are grown in ears so those are not seed pods, just whole grain or seeds of the cereal plant. My dogs will scarf down whole grains if they can get into by storage containers.

Farmers are harvesting over here and there is a lot of grain spilled on the side of roads and in paddocks. The birds get very heavy with grain and find it slow to lift off from the road when a truck comes.

The barley grass doesn't really have pods, if I pull it apart this is what I find - They're the mongrel things that get stuck in Koda's toes through summer!

grass-seeds-barley-0908.jpg

Wheat is what I've been thinking all along and I keep coming back to that, but there is nowhere around here that there is any wheat... It just doesn't make sense!

Dodge did 2 poos last night, both look like normal dog poos - no seeds this time...

Will continue watching her poos to see if the mystery seeds return, haha!

In the meantime I'll keep my thinking cap on and keep my eyes peeled around the farm for anything it could be.

Thread Information