Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with dog pooping in public

Phew, MDD, you've been ReilyJ'd - I hope you feel guilt.... shame..... whatev. We both need to understand something!

When Frosty has started that curled back thing where I really don't want her to poop, I shove her off balance (gently) and then quickly move her to somewhere it is ok (eg short grass under a street light - not the long grass in the dark). And say the magic words.

Have you timed how long you've been "walking" before Finn decides to go? Maybe set a timer for just less than that time - and move to some nice grass and wait him out...

I would also try taking him to a park where it's all grass and no concrete and then praising him when he goes on the grass and repeat that a lot. Or paths with grass along side and when he lines up on the concrete just gently move him over... and praise.

Nothing gets a dog to rethink the move than being put off balance. They can all stop in a hurry - unless there is something very wrong.

hello MDD long time no post, as have been locked out. IT issues now resolved with a new pc.

Finn has been a doddle to train, and i bet the loose poo, means urgency. Hence the rapid behaviour of squatting. I know if there were body language cues, you'd of spotted them. Your dog savvy in that dept.

I think the food fiddlin, is what's causing the looser poo/urgency.
    And i love the suggestion of letting him no not to shit on your own doorstep, so to speak. And believe you'd be giving out disapproval signals, at public unacceptable behaviour to you.
    hopefully, stability in diet, sorts this

11 months, only seems like yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    When Frosty has started that curled back thing where I really don't want her to poop, I shove her off balance (gently) and then quickly move her to somewhere it is ok (eg short grass under a street light - not the long grass in the dark). And say the magic words.

Have you timed how long you've been "walking" before Finn decides to go? Maybe set a timer for just less than that time - and move to some nice grass and wait him out...

I would also try taking him to a park where it's all grass and no concrete and then praising him when he goes on the grass and repeat that a lot. Or paths with grass along side and when he lines up on the concrete just gently move him over... and praise.

Nothing gets a dog to rethink the move than being put off balance. They can all stop in a hurry - unless there is something very wrong.
    I like the timer and pushing off balance ideas! Will try those too

We always try to go to grassed areas as often as possible on walks and do huge amounts of praise if he toilets there.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    hello MDD long time no post, as have been locked out. IT issues now resolved with a new pc.

Finn has been a doddle to train, and i bet the loose poo, means urgency. Hence the rapid behaviour of squatting. I know if there were body language cues, you'd of spotted them. Your dog savvy in that dept.

I think the food fiddlin, is what's causing the looser poo/urgency.
    And i love the suggestion of letting him no not to shit on your own doorstep, so to speak. And believe you'd be giving out disapproval signals, at public unacceptable behaviour to you.
    hopefully, stability in diet, sorts this

11 months, only seems like yesterday
    Welcome back to you! I've actually been wondering how you and your pack are getting on!

I too am hoping once I get his poos all good and consistant that this behaviour will cease or at least become less frequent!

How's your beautiful Malinois girl going?

Are there any other stress sign, because it could simply be stress
    Pets are forever

Quote Originally Posted by newfsie View Post
    Are there any other stress sign, because it could simply be stress
    Nope, no signs of stress. Every time it's happened he's been relaxed walking next to me, tail, ears, mouth.. everything happy, alert and chilled... then he suddenly stops and squats

Thread Information