Thread: Preventive Medication

Default Preventive Medication

Hi everyone. Got a Standard Labradoodle couple months ago and he has just turned 4 months old. He has been kept indoors and whenever he's out, he's always on a lead so we can safely say he's been very closely supervised. We've done everything as recommmended; he's had all 3 vaccinations and is on Bravecto, Paragard and Heartgard. In the 2 months that he's been with us, he's had 3 very severe diarrhea episodes that lasted a week each time. Initially we thought it might have been something he ate (we can now rule that out) and now we are beginning to suspect it might be one (or more) of the 3 medication. The diarrhea always start straight after he's been medicated. I did some research and was shocked to discover the horrendous issues many people have had with Bravecto. It's appalling that it's still being sold after all those deaths. I would like feedback from personal experiences, good or bad from people who have used any of these products. Also, just wondering whether how many of you do not use any preventive medication at all. I mean in the "old days" (ie, in the 70's) when we were growing up, nobody use these things and the dogs were fine. Especially for us as our dog live in a low risk environment, we are wondering whether it would be OK to stop medicating him altogether.

Would love to see some photos of your little pup – Please !

Boy oh boy – that is a hell of a lot of chemicals to put into a little pup ! No wonder he got an upset tummy.

I don’t put anything on/in my 2 pups for ticks and fleas. They have short hair – so it is very easy to do a quick check on them for ticks and fleas. We do live in an area that is known for ticks – but my 2 have never had a tick on them.

I am not at all keen on Bravecto – so I would stop that one straightaway. Too many bad reviews on it.

Is heartworm a problem in your area ? Do an internet search and/or phone vets in your area and ask them the question.

The first 12 months of your pup’s life - it is good to keep up with worming and heart worm treatments until you take him in for his 12 month vaccinations. You can get the heartworm injection that is for a year with his other vaccinations at that time.

Don’t pile up all the treatments at the same time/same day. Leave a couple of days – at least between treatments.

The protocol has changed on yearly vaccinations so have a read of this:

http://www.ava.com.au/policy/66-vacc...-dogs-and-cats

I too have read the horror stories about Bravecto!

I brought my Std Poodle pup home in March, it was a 2 day drive to get him home and on the way, he picked up fleas. Vet said to give him a bravecto, so I did. He had no problems with this (although I do remember he had an issue with runny poos for a while). The packet says bravecto lasts 3 months... but it's been 7 months, I haven't treated him with anything else since and despite being around other animals with fleas (I work with dogs every day so it's not uncommon for my animals to pick up fleas from my work)... He has not picked up fleas at all. I reckon that stuff stays in their system A LOT longer than they say it does.

Having read the horror stories, I'd never touch bravecto again.

All flea treatments have a level of risk unfortunately. I chose to use Comfortis, I've found it very good with no side effects on my animals. However I ONLY give it if my animals actually have fleas. Most of the year they are not treated and have no problems with fleas.

As for worm tablets... I've never used Paragard so no idea there. My dogs get Milbemax which is just the one my vet sells as individual tablets. But again, that's supposed to be every 3 months, but I always forget to do it. My dogs probably get wormed twice a year max, they've never had worms.

Heartworm tablets, I honestly have no idea... I live in an area that doesn't have heartworm so I've never bothered treating my dogs. My older two dogs aren't treated at all, the youngest is getting the annual heartworm injections.

The way I see it the fewer chemicals and poison going into my dogs system the better!

'maddogdodge' - I do agree with you about putting less so-called poisons into our pups. I am not surprised that Bravecto has lasted that long with your pup ! 4 months - Pfftt - is only a guideline !

You do realise that Milbemax also treats for heart worm ?

file:///D:/Users/Owner/Downloads/Milbemax_Dog_2-Tablet_LEAFLET.pdf

Thanks for the comments. I do wonder whether it's really necessary to medicate to that extent as recommended. I mean where do you stop, all that "insecticide" and "poison" can't be good. I suppose one has to weigh up the risks and benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    'maddogdodge' - I do agree with you about putting less so-called poisons into our pups. I am not surprised that Bravecto has lasted that long with your pup ! 4 months - Pfftt - is only a guideline !

You do realise that Milbemax also treats for heart worm ?

file:///D:/Users/Owner/Downloads/Milbemax_Dog_2-Tablet_LEAFLET.pdf
    Can't get your link to work Riley. But yes I've read that, but from what I've read it is only effective against heartworm if it's given monthly which is far from what my dogs get... they get it I'd say once or twice a year. Not sure if that is a problem when it comes to Finn also having a heartworm injection... my vet seems to think it's fine, but who knows.

I hate that all these treatments are "necessary".

Oops - Sorry 'maddogdodge' - I forgot to check the link ! This one does work !

http://ah.novartis.com.au/verve/_res...et_LEAFLET.pdf

And I sit on the other side of the fence, often lonely....... I do not worm unless my dogs have worms, so we do faecal tests, small amount is tested and so far my dogs have only had a very few actual worming's.

My dogs get tested yearly for heartworm as we do not currently have it in our area.

I do not give anything that goes internally for fleas as to me it is poison.... anything that tells me I need to wear gloves or contact the poison centre if ingested does not go into my dog.

I also have my dogs titred for levels pre vaccination... One dog has not been vaccinated for seven years now. One had to have a distemper update after five years just recently. I just pay the money to check before I do. It is actually more expensive, but I fear all the chemicals we so easily put into our dogs , mostly for convenience. We bathe and spray out dogs with washes that smell great. You can buy so many different essential oils now that help. We also do not live in a tick area.... It is why we live where we live.
    Pets are forever

I tend to medicate just for what I need. I don't have fleas or ticks out here so I use nuheart for heartworm once a month. I worm for Hydatid heartworm every 3 months because I live on a sheep farm.
    The puppy vaccinations (I only do two) plus the first annual booster are important, after that every 4 or so years. They are over 4 years now so will probably get a titre done.

Important to understand what is essential in your particular area and what isn't.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm certain I won't be using Bravecto or similar for ticks and fleas after this. We live in Brisbane Bayside, is there a website to go check what bug is prevalent around here? I guess I can check with the vet as well but I believe that it's always advisable to get oneself educated and make an informed decision rather than blindly follow advice, even from experts as you know they often differ. After all, it's the vet that highly recommended Bravecto!

Thread Information