Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Swedish Vallhund pup

Default Wanted: Swedish Vallhund pup

Looking towards finding a breeder of Swedish Vallhund pups, preferably as close to south east QLD as possible. Thanks in advance

This would be the best place to find a suitable breeder. They're not a particularly common breed so there aren't that many breeders around.

https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds...asp?state=AUST

Please make sure that you do your research on the breed and make sure it is likely to fit your lifestyle, this is way more important that looks alone.

They have a very strong, independent temperament.... funnily enough not unlike a Husky. And they are also used for stock work, just like the corgi. The Corgi is quite tough too.... So it might be a similar outcome. I have known a couple in Obedience. Quite trainable as with all dogs if you start from day one.

I like to know dog breeds and their history and why they were bred, it gives me a heads up when I am training with people and problem dogs.

Dogz online is the best place to start, but you can also ask the ANKC for help or just Google the breed and see what you get.

Good luck in your new venture..... it is always fun just getting to know about a breed
    Pets are forever

Possibly the best way to find some good breeders (or recommendations) would be to go to an all breeds dog show via Dogs QLD.

That way you get to see quite a few different breeds, and talk to the breeders and make friends with them. For them - it's like placing their children in new homes, and the better they know you - the easier it is for them to choose you as a future puppy home, and if anything goes wrong - they will take the dog back.

This page has links to when the shows are on - you want "conformation trials" unless you're interested in obedience competition or agility competition and want to see what dogs are doing that.

http://www.dogsqueensland.org.au/ShowAndTrial/?id=1144

Another dog you might be interested in - Shetland Sheepdog - but also very hairy...

An ANKC breeder I know has just had Norwegian Laphund puppies. Also a herding breed and very strong and independent which after meeting them can attest to lol. Again lots of hair!

Lappies are so cute, but I would not like to be looking for ticks on one of them...

I adore Lappies and would consider one myself but that coat is a heck of a lot of maintenance! Especially during shedding season!

Must admit, i did not know this breed, looked them up and thought.
    A shedding corgi! the coat screams shedding to me.
    Ive done me dash with heavy shedding dogs. Good luck with that.

Thread Information