Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU teach stand for exam?

More progress

We are doing SFE semi reliably on "good days" with trainers she is familiar with.

With unfamiliar trainer trainees we can usually do a SFE minus any touching and are getting then quite close to her with minimal feet shuffling.

She wasn't doing SFE but she asked head trainer (the only male trainer unfortunately) to scratch her butt and that's the first time he's been able to touch her. I was sitting down 5m away. Definite progress because he's a big bulky guy with bald cut and lots of confidence aura.

(And while reason can't go to advance level is cause he hasn't been able to go near her let alone touch her).

We are currently in an intermediate intermediate class between intermediate an advanced

More good days than bad and turning into a sweet quiet little social butterfly on good days. Pressing her nose into hands and asking for it pats

wheres the like button...

Seems like good progress.

If she will do SFE for some instructors nicely - start asking them to be a bit distracting and less careful in how they do it, or you can be distracting by moving...

See if she can hold it when you start making it a teeny bit harder. Change one thing at a time - just a little bit. See what you get.

Ideally eventually you aim for her to hold steady while there's all sorts of chaos going on around... but start with little things.

Bob Bailey uses balloons inflated but tied to the ground - so they move... and are distracting... and then do the exercise anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    wheres the like button...

Seems like good progress.

If she will do SFE for some instructors nicely - start asking them to be a bit distracting and less careful in how they do it, or you can be distracting by moving...

See if she can hold it when you start making it a teeny bit harder. Change one thing at a time - just a little bit. See what you get.

Ideally eventually you aim for her to hold steady while there's all sorts of chaos going on around... but start with little things.

Bob Bailey uses balloons inflated but tied to the ground - so they move... and are distracting... and then do the exercise anyway...
    Yes good idea, can prob get the familiar ones to be a bit more clumsy or loud about it (everyone is so tentative about it which imo concerns her more than if they'd just walk up and run their hand down her back like with the others on this level. prob because it's such a slow odd movement. but then also going too fast can get her to break or be too worried....and she has worried face syndrome! Even when not worried, she looks it!)

I'd get them to do that circle around thing ie if she moves... just circle back and start over... (no treat for that)...
    try clumsy
    then
    try loud (or chatty)
    then
    try faster approach

Ie pick only one thing at a time to change...

The helpers are probably staring at her hard to see if she is going to do something... so try a few fly by's (no touching, approach to safe distance with less direct eye contact)

You and also "cue" the "circle backs" ie if she moves - say "skip it" or something so the helper knows to go back to the start...

I'd get them to do that circle around thing ie if she moves... just circle back and start over... (no treat for that)...
    try clumsy
    then
    try loud (or chatty)
    then
    try faster approach

Ie pick only one thing at a time to change... and I'd do two or three of the same thing and then have a play and try something different - even if she was not successful at change number 1.

The helpers are probably staring at her hard to see if she is going to do something... so try a few fly by's (no touching, approach to safe distance with less direct eye contact)

You and also "cue" the "circle backs" ie if she moves - say "skip it" or something so the helper knows to go back to the start...

And after 2 mins of stand for exam - have a play and do something entirely different... something less stressfull. Doesn't matter if she gets any of it right in any given session... use the information when planning your next one but don't "drill it to death". Cos that sucks the joy out for everyone.

Oh and reward waggy tail... if she waggy tail for any stage get in there with a reward...
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 12-01-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Those are some good proofing ideas! I think she finds the whole process abnormal lol!

We did have her first full proper basic SFE on Sunday! She stayed in position as trainer walked up at average speed, checked her ears and ran a hand down her back.

She got 3 dried duck wings and a play for that! Touching her has begun!

Coming up on a year since starting this topic.

We had another assessment at dog school today. We did everything well except for the...dun dun dun the Stand For Exam.

BUT. BUT. it was our best SFE with a male tester yet.

So we kept it nice and easy, although it was the FIRST SFE with me at a distance (2m to be exact).

But she kept a nice solid posture, her tail hanging but as the tester came towards her she...she shuffled a step forward! Which is the complete opposite to the usual "shrink away".

Obviously didn't correct or anything, she knows her feet are meant to be solid but she's still a little nervous and I think she feels better if she can "initiate" the contact even by fractionally inching.

Anyway we did two rounds of this SFE, first round was just a little under the chin rub, second round a gentle top of the head rub which is awesome because she's a little headshy and was okay with it!

She wasn't; tense, shrinking away, hackles were not up, no growling, no crouching down, no moving away, didn't sit/drop, didn't turn her head away...

She was; a little nervous, a little timid, curious, holding the position pretty well.

Maybe we will get to advanced class sometime this year :P it's our only thing holding us back.

I'm glad when we do these tests, they're pretty tough but I feel pretty on top of the world after.

Woot. I think.

They're pretty hard.

I think evil hound got away with moving a foot or two and I was much much closer than 2m. Like right in front of her...

So - need more practice with blokes? or female strangers?

Woot. I think.

They're pretty hard.

I think evil hound got away with moving a foot or two and I was much much closer than 2m. Like right in front of her...

So - need more practice with blokes? or female strangers?

Everything I think! We want to try and really generalise it, the whole routine of someone "walking up and touching".

I try and have someone random so the routine once a month outside of classes themselves (weekly but careful not to push too hard)

She also voluntarily approached a crouched man for chin rubs today so. Good girl she's a funny one, I think she does want attention but is worried by it and feels quite conflicted.

Thread Information