Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Dogs Weight.

Default Your Dogs Weight.

I really cant stand over-weight dogs; especially when people feel a big fat dog is a loved dog.
    A Blue Heeler came in today for some lumps removed and was almost 9 kilos over-weight!
    I said 'wow hes a big boy!' and she was like 'yeah hes very spoilt, loves his food.'
    This dog was 5 years old!
    Anyway, I thought I would see how honestly we could do this
    How much does your dog weigh, and what is the average for that breeds weight.
    Are they under-weight, over weight or where they're meant to be.

If your dog is over-weight because of health reasons or age, that doesnt annoy me, but when a dog isnt exersized and fed too much, thats when it irritates me.

For me, Lady the 7 year old Kelpie was weighed yesterday at 16kg and the average is 11-20 kg.
    Roly the 11 year old JRT weighs 6kg and the average is 6-8 kg, so he just scrapes in.
    Education not Legislation

Thers No averages in my breed no matter what anyone tries to say about it, weight is in proportion to height and length. But to easily see the rib muscle (serratus) as it turns, has a defined tuck up to waist, then it is a good indication of healthy weight in my breed.
    Last edited by Beau; 08-11-2009 at 05:39 PM.

I beg to differ.
    What breed do you own?

Well we only weighed Loppy the other day actually. She's a fraction off 30 kg's and in my opinion about 3 kgs too heavy .

This was her the other day and while alot would say she's just right I personaly can see where she needs to lose some.

GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

My god Choppa, you shouldnt have posted that picture.
    Im inlove!
    Shes beautiful!

Pit Bulls weight varies emensly though doesnt it? Like isnt it 20-50 kg?

okies here goes

Floyd weighs 15.8 kilos & is 16" at the withers, imo he is ideal weight for he's height & he is within SBT Standards ( except he's nads are missing )

GENERAL APPEARANCE - Smooth coated, well balanced,
    of great strength for his size. Muscular, active and agile.

CHARACTERISTICS - Traditionally of indomitable courage
    and tenacity. Highly intelligent and affectionate especially
    with children.

TEMPERAMENT - Bold, fearless and totally reliable.

HEAD AND SKULL - Short, deep though with broad skull.
    Very pronounced cheek muscles, distinct stop, short foreface,
    nose black.

EYES - Dark preferred but may bear some relation to coat colour.
    Round, of medium size, and set to look straight ahead.
    Eye rims dark.

EARS - Rose or half pricked, not large or heavy.
    Full, drop or pricked ears highly undesirable.

MOUTH - Lips tight and clean. Jaws strong, teeth large,
    with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite,
    i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set
    square to the jaws.

NECK - Muscular, rather short, clean in outline gradually
    widening towards shoulder.

FOREQUARTERS - Legs straight and well boned, set rather wide
    apart, showing no weakness at the pasterns, from which point feet
    turn out a little. Shoulders well laid back with no looseness at elbow.

BODY - Close coupled, with level topline, wide front, deep brisket,
    well sprung ribs; muscular and well defined.

HINDQUARTERS - Well muscled, hocks well let down with stifles
    well bent. Legs parallel when viewed from behind.

FEET - Well padded, strong and of medium size.
    Nails black in solid coloured dogs.

TAIL - Medium length, low set, tapering to a point and carried rather
    low. Should not curl much and may be likened to an old fashioned
    pump handle.

GAIT/MOVEMENT - Free, powerful and agile with economy of effort.
    Legs moving parallel when viewed from front or rear.
    Discernible drive from hindlegs.

COAT - Smooth, short and close.

COLOUR - Red, fawn, white, black or blue, or any one of these
    colours with white. Any shade of brindle or any shade of brindle
    with white. Black and tan or liver colour highly undesirable.

SIZE -
    Weight: Dogs 12.7-17 kg (28-38 lbs) at withers
    Bitches 11-15.4 kg (24-34 lbs) at withers
    Desirable Height: 14-16 inches
    (these heights being related to the weights)

FAULTS - Any departure from the foregoing points should be
    considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should
    be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree.

NOTE - Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles
    fully descended into the scrotum.

Hysterical thread. If were were to believe breed standards then Flash is 10kg overweight. He weighs 49kg - his weight is perfect for his size and length. Billie - same breed - is slightly overweight at 34kg (some of that weight is tumors). According to breed standard she falls within normal weight. Breed standards are fantastic for dogs that meet the breed standard. However, many many dogs that are not show dogs are not exact specimens of their breed

The general rule is that you should be able to feel the dogs ribs - not through a layer of at - but not see them. There are some exceptions - whippets for example and italian greyhounds.

I have kept many dogs with bad hips going for years because I keep them at the correct weight for them. I usually keep them leaner than "pet" weights - closer to "show" weights.

Anyone who bases their knowledge wholly on standards rather than experience needs to review their practices. Knowledge comes from experience, not just breed standards that are at least somewhat arbitrary.

Mimi weighs 20kg. The Vet who saw her a couple of weeks ago said she is the perfect weight now and she should remain at that. She has a lot of muscle and is very fit.

Beau, good to see you still around, hows things....and couldnt agree more with your comment

My boy is 33 kilo's, and to me is in proportion to his height and length. If he was overwight, i dont know what i could do anyhow, as he only gets 2 cups of dry food once a day.

Northern suburbs of Cairns FNQ

I only weigh my dogs when they go to the Vet and I only weigh myself when I go to the doctor.

I like my dogs a little lean but I judge by eye and feel rather than weight. Same with myself. If the jeans get a little tight I cut back on the chockies.

According to the breed standard a Pug should weigh between 6 and 8 kg. Arwen Pug probably weighs just over 7kg. I think she is a touch overweight but as she is 16 its not something I'm worried about. A lot of Pugs weigh a lot more than 8kg. This doesn't mean they are overweight. There are simply a lot of oversized Pugs around now. This can be traced back to around 25 years ago when a number of superb but over sized Pugs were imported from England. You will probably find these dogs way back in the pedigrees of most of the "giant" Puggies around today.

As Occy said correct weight for size depends on the individual dog not on the breed standard.

However I understand where you are coming from. It always upsets me when I see dogs so fat they waddle and most of them have owners who believe their pets obesity is a symbol of how much they are loved.

Have you noticed how many fat dogs also have fat owners and the fat owners often have fat children? There are still many people who show love by stuffing their dogs and kids with food.

Actually I was thinking about fat dogs and fat owners yesterday when I was waiting for the school bus with my boys. The various school buses pick the kids up outside our little general store. Every morning two very fat children go into the shop and come out with bags of chips, lollies and chocolates. They stand there shoving food into their mouths until the bus comes. Yesterday morning their mother and the family dog came with them. Mother was pretty and well dressed but so huge she could barely walk. With them was a young Cavalier, probably no more than 3, who was a pin head and a waggy tail attached to a huge body with a belly nearly touching the ground. It was a male but looked like a bitch about to give birth. I went home feeling very sad.

Thread Information