Thread: Pedigree Pal dry food - good or bad?

Default Pedigree Pal dry food - good or bad?

Hi there,

This came up in conversation at the dog park the other day.
    What are peoples opinions please?

I look at the side of the packet if it is mostly cereal, forget it. It is worth checking various brands for comparison.
    It is not necessarily "you pay for what you get" but cereals bulk it out and make it cheaper to produce. I go for higher protein content.

Ok ingredients for P'ee "real" chicken. I'm always suspicious when a product has "real" on the label. It's like a politician saying "trust me"

So where the hell is the chicken in this list - let alone "real chicken" which I would normally understand to mean the fleshy bits that I'd eat eg breast and thigh meat. Not there. So - this would be not quite fake chicken but given the ingredient list suggests no chicken at all - definitely not real chicken. And that list is right from their own website.

Real Chicken | Adult Dry Dog Food | PEDIGREE

Cereals &/or cereal by-products, meat & meat by-products (poultry, beef &/or lamb), poultry palatant, beet pulp, iodised salt, minerals (iron, zinc, copper, potassium and selenium), sunflower oil, vitamins (A, D3, E, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12 and choline), amino acid, antioxidants

My opinion - I don't want to reward a company who tell fibs on their packaging. Which twists me up cos this is a Mars product - and I do like their brand "Nutro natural choice" - tho there's nothing natural about that either.
    Lamb, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Chicken Fat, Dried Beet Pulp, Maize Gluten, Natural Flavours (Chicken), Sunflower Oil, Essential Minerals (including Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulphate, Iron Sulphate, Copper Sulphate, Potassium Iodide, Selenium), Iodised Salt, Natural Antioxidants (including Mixed Tocopherols and Rosemary Extract), Choline Chloride, Taurine, Essential Vitamins (Including Vitamin E, Vitamin B5, Biotin, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12, Thiamine, Niacin, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid), Vitamin C, Marigold Meal.
    My dog would probably eat pedigree no problems. She also eats gum nuts, and cat poo.

So look for a dog food that has some sort of protein eg Beef, chicken, turkey - listed first on the ingredient list. And has minimum cereals or beet pulp in the list.

This stuff won't kill your dog instantly, but can take a few years off slowly. That's my opinion. Ok for just occasionally but not every day.

I currently feed black hawk lamb and rice and am thinking of going back to Nutro tho it's more expensive or looking at some of the other Australian made Australian owned. Eg Ivory Coat, or Meals for Mutts (an unfortunate but apt name in my mutt dog's case - but mutt is not a premium dog).

Meals For Mutts

Luxury Companion Animal Nutrition & Grooming

melbourne australia

Pedigree Chum kibble. < my dogs believe this is the most havenly food on the planet! As they are deprived and have to eat raw here. BUT, when we go camping, this is the stuff i grab. And much like other 'holiday' foods, its now the best according to my dogs, that dive into their treat!

Would i feed it day in, day out?
    yes. I have fed dogs since i left home at 18. Over the decades, various higher priority things have caused me and my dogs, to eat food, where FULL up, is all you require, to keep warm in freezing weather.
    These days my dogs eat far better, as do i. And i live somewhere where freezing to death is unheard of. Not a reality.
    Did my early dogs look a bit er 'shabby' on the crap cheap stuff? NO, they won best in show on just this sort of dog food. Different brand back in 80's, but basically the same 'good enough' ingredients.

I dont stress about diet for my dogs too much, pups more so. I dont stress about my diet either. Because i can afford not to these days. What i feed, is due to finances. When pohm had her surgery, we all had to cut back to pay for it. Kibble was used here for 6 months, with no noticeable change in dogs condition, but i felt bad at the time. Raw to kibble. I had one dog that HAD to eat raw, as skin conditions gallore. Or he'd of been on kibble also.

Rural Western Australia

I dont feed it now but my first dog back in the eighties was raised on it as it was considered a better supermarket brand. The old girl lived till she was nearly 17 and had energy to spare. None of my other more recent dogs who probably have much better diets have lived as long or been as tough.

Usually the lower the quality of food that you are feeding your pup – will result in more that comes out the back end !

Have a look at this link for some other choices for dry food:

Pet Food Reviews (Australia)

Feeding raw food is much better for your pup – so have a look at this link:

Dr. Bruce's Articles - Vets All Natural

Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    My dog would probably eat pedigree no problems. She also eats gum nuts, and cat poo.
    This statement MADE. MY. DAY.

On a serious note - Filler grains don't equal great 'quality' in general (They make poops larger, more smelly and more runny (it's like eating fast food - Yes you can live on carbs and fillers but your digestive tract, your skin etc won't be as "glowing" than when you eat a cleaner more nutritious diet.)) Rice as a 2nd or 3rd ingredient is okay in my opinion - It's the Corn and wheat that are the rubbish fillers.

BUT In all honesty though - I personally feed a grain free premium food (Taste of the Wild) but that's because she is a large breed pup and the ingredients and lack of fillers is what I want her to eat (and she is super fussy with her food) But the do costs add up! I will probably change this later in life (once she has stopped growing and her requirements change - Possibly Applaws Grain Free or Black Hawn (I can't feed her the Black Hawk at the moment, the Calcium is too high) but I suppose my point is, there is nothing wrong with feeding a regular supermarket branded food. If your dog is happy, has clear eyes (fillers like corn can cause runny eyes) they a good amount of energy and their coat isn't dull, chances are they are getting everything they need.

There is a lot of fuss over dog food - I know I won't always be able to afford what I am feeding her now (she eats 4 cups per day plus an extra raw component and bones 5 days a week) so I can only imagine what it would be like to feed more than one (she costs $30 a week to feed just by herself)

Feed what you believe works for your pocket and your dog.

Our Family dogs (back when I was growing up) were fed on Pal and Chum (whatever was on special at the time) and their coats were always shiny (yes they had GIANT POOPS that were awful to clean up) but they were healthy and happy and didn't have any issues. Our Rotty was blissfully happy until her kidneys shut down overnight (with no prior symptoms) and at almost 13, that was a good innings, especially for a dog that was starved for the first 18 months of her life and only ever reached 1/2 of her estimated adult weight as a result (rescued at 18 months)

If I had to go back to a supermarket brand, I'd go with Supercoat or Optimum, just my 2c. I had a Dane/Mastiff rescue a few years ago that was on a Supercoat diet at the request of the rescue group and her coat went from matte black tar to black glass within 2 months - She thrived on it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeding a cheaper diet - Lets face it - I bet there are hundreds of thousands of pound animals that WISH they had a home where they got 2 meals of supermarket food per day.
    Last edited by Schnecke; 09-25-2015 at 07:48 AM.
    Asha - 22/05/15 Wolfhound cross a Dogue De Bordeaux X American Bulldog.

Thread Information