Thread: Kelpie X Jack Russell

Default Kelpie X Jack Russell

Looking for a kelpie x jack russell.
    I had this breed for 18 beautiful years. Sadly she passed and I am seeking the same kind of puppy. She was a jack russell x black kelpie
    Anyway one can help me would be appreciated

A cross is completely luck of the draw.
    If you found that mix again there is no way you could get your lovely pup again. You did fantastically having her for eighteen years, my sympathy. As a cross breed mix there are no constants like temperament or configuration or even health that have been bred into the dogs.
    I would suggest you write a list of the qualities in your pup you value and start from there, looks are secondary. There may be a breed you like after some research that demonstrates the things you like.
    Last edited by farrview; 09-08-2015 at 09:31 AM.

ah but you are ignoring breed loyalty farrview.
    And memories, are often of the fond variety. Not till its 2 and rolling in shit, will the owner, remember this side of their perfect pooch of old lol

I have to be jogged into remembering my collie, as an escapologist, who ate his way through anything, to escape daily.
    I always thought the grown ups were in a fuss over nothing, the dog was always at the gate, bang on 3.30 daily, to walk me home. It didnt escape, it had a job to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    ah but you are ignoring breed loyalty farrview.
    And memories, are often of the fond variety. Not till its 2 and rolling in shit, will the owner, remember this side of their perfect pooch of old lol

I have to be jogged into remembering my collie, as an escapologist, who ate his way through anything, to escape daily.
    I always thought the grown ups were in a fuss over nothing, the dog was always at the gate, bang on 3.30 daily, to walk me home. It didnt escape, it had a job to do.
    Well yes but the point is it isn't a breed its a cross. I adore my Maggie but if I wanted another bc x kelpie I would not be getting her. She is a blend.

As a kelpie owner I find the idea of that cross somewhat disturbing and really hope people are not deliberately making that cross.

No disrespect to your wonderful dog that you had for eighteen years. I just see so many weird working breed crosses end up in rescue and that cross could potentially carry the worst of both breeds and some of the litter could be a handful in the wrong hands.

Koulat - it is a bit much to expect your next dog to be very like your last one.

I'm a sucker for cattle dogs (and crosses). But this one I have now is nothing like any of the previous ones I've lived with and they were not like each other in many ways either. But there were core ways they were similar. Which is what I look for - like being super smart, a little bit laid back, and really like being with you (but that's most dogs).

The best place to find a mix dog is at the rescues.
    https://www.petrescue.com.au

Have a look at the ones in your state - maybe ring a few up and have a chat - it can be that their best dogs or puppies are never listed on petrescue so it does pay to talk to them about what you want.

I think a cattle dog has a lot in common with a kelpie and a JRT but I'm biased.

here's one that is farm dog x JRT - in QLD.
    https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/381544

Thread Information