Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Dog from the Pound

Default Getting a Dog from the Pound

Up until the other day I was all for getting my new dog from either the Pound...Shelter or Rescue but I will now not be getting a dog from the pound because it's just too big a risk.

While at the pound the other day I asked staff were the dogs tested for Heartworm...the answer was "No"...dogs are desexed and vaccinated (C3) upon sale...this means dogs are not checked by a vet when they enter the pound so Parvo runs wild because many dogs have never been vaccinated...so you buy at your own risk.

Since pound dogs are not tested for Heartworm... the risk of buying a dog with it are very high. So I rang a local vet and asked how much would it cost to treat a dog that has Heartworm and was about 30kgs...hold on to your hats people and sit down.

Treatment would cost $400 upwards and the dog could still die so you could end up with a bill of $1000 (possible) and have no dog...not worth the risk IMO. I forgot to ask how much the Heartworm test was to see if the dog was positive...I imagine not cheap either...so guys would you take that risk ?
    Chloe & Zorro
    Rottweilers and German Shepherds are Family

Scary stuff isn't 'Dogman' ?

My very few forays into the world of fostering sure opened up my eyes as to what is done and not done.

Fostering for pounds is fraught with problems - Kennel cough being one of the ones I also worry about. The 2 pounds near me - ask for fosters for pups with kennel cough - Is that you don't have other dogs on your property.

I really hope they also tell them not to take the pup out into the community !

I will still take the risk - BUT - with only breed specific rescues. Riley was a nightmare when he first arrived - but he was healthy.

Don't give up finding another pup - just do it another way !

Dogman, i dived to this thread first, wanting to hear, you'd gotten another GSD. I know you say you wont. But you've got a GSD bug inside ya.
    So was very shocked to read the thread! $400 bux. Wow.

You give a comment, that the chances of a non HW treated dog having HW (heart worm) is high. Is it? I disagree. I believe it to be 3%. Yup, just 3% from a study done:
    'A Cross Section Serological Survey of Shelter Cats & Dogs in Australia to assess the Prevalence of Exposure to, and Infection with Dirofilaria Immitus'by Dr Sarah Mitchell, Pfizer Animal Health

I found it interesting that the current infection rate in Australia is now estimated at 0.3% of dogs.

Basically: 783 pound dogs (with no known history of preventative treatment) were tested and only 2 dogs tested positive. Has the increased use of preventative treatments led to the reduced infection rate, or could it be the drought we have experienced? Only half of Australia's dog population receives preventatives.

So why are we so worried about it, and why do we believe that its 'highly likely'. Drug company propaganda machine. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    I found it interesting that the current infection rate in Australia is now estimated at 0.3% of dogs.

Basically: 783 pound dogs (with no known history of preventative treatment) were tested and only 2 dogs tested positive. Has the increased use of preventative treatments led to the reduced infection rate, or could it be the drought we have experienced? Only half of Australia's dog population receives preventatives.

So why are we so worried about it, and why do we believe that its 'highly likely'. Drug company propaganda machine. Enjoy.
    Well - 783 pound dogs tested - That is a very small sample of all the dogs that have found their way into a pound or rescue in 1 year ! There is no link to your information. So where did this information come from ?

As far as the 0.3% is concerned - it really does depend on where you live !

RileyJ,

Very scary...they do say "buy at your own risk" I've read on pet rescue how much money rescue groups have spent on pound dogs that's a real shock to the system.

I did forget Kennel cough something else that runs wild at the pound...that $400 + was from only one vet...could be much more at other vets.

I too have had my eyes opened as to what goes on in these places...it's a bloody disgrace and very upsetting but it's the backyard breeders and puppy millers that are the real bastards in all of this...as their the cause.

bernie,

No I haven't got another GSD as Chloe is defiantly my last.

I take no notice of Surveys...Heartworm has been around for a very long time and is a very serious problem...years ago we use to give our dogs one HW tablet per day...Now it's a chewie once a month that does everything which is great.

I too find it very hard to believe that of 783 pound dogs tested only 2 dogs tested positive...who did the testing...Tony Abbott.
    Chloe & Zorro

I got my dog as a puppy from AWL and just took a risk on the heart worm thing and treated her anyway even tho she hadn't been tested.

She lives.

I'm not sure how they deal with the parvo risk. Mine had the first of her three vax injections when I got her. I got the other two at my favourite vet.

Heartworm really does depend on where you live. Heart worm is not a concern where I live. My dogs aren't treated for it, and I don't think I know anyone around here that does treat for it!

Quote Originally Posted by maddogdodge View Post
    Heartworm really does depend on where you live. Heart worm is not a concern where I live. My dogs aren't treated for it, and I don't think I know anyone around here that does treat for it!
    You don't have mosquitos where you live?

Yeah we do, but it is rare for them to carry heart worm around here. My decision on whether to treat my dogs for heart worm is mostly based on how much/far they travel with me out of the area, which at the moment isn't much... That may be different with future dogs though.

Heartworm is Australia wide and as many as 30 species of mosquitoes can transmit heartworms...so saying we don't have it here is not correct because you've been lucky up till now...people say the same thing about Parvo.
    https://www.teatreegully.sa.gov.au/w...rm_disease.pdf
    Bondi Vet Hospital | FAQ Heartworm

I'm not saying you can't get a good dog from the pound and I'm not blaming the pound either...Chloe came from the pound. I've seen a few pound dogs over the last 6 mths and these dogs are in such poor condition all because the previous "owners" didn't want to spend money on them and that includes feeding them too.

I've led a very sheltered life when it comes to dogs and cruelty...only having papered pure bred dogs raised from puppies... my dogs have been given the best of everything and treated like children. That all changed when we got our first rescue...a beautiful gentle Rottie named Opal from a shelter who was a cruelty case...starved...bashed and kept on a chain...how can some people be so bloody cruel.
    Chloe & Zorro

Thread Information