Thread: After some advice please

Default After some advice please

My dog (Finn) and a dog we regularly dog sit (Diego) had a 'moment' about an hour ago.

They are best of friends - Finn is a samoyed/golden retriever and Diego is a cocker spaniel/golden retriever. They play wrestle a lot and never get serious.

When they wrestle, they drag each other around by the collar (if they have it on) or the skin around the neck or ears. Anyway, I was inside and I had just sent them outside to play a few minutes before. Suddenly, I hear an almighty screeching and dog fight noises. I run out down the driveway and see them locked together - with Finn (who is 10kilos heavier than the other) underneath, on his back and Diego on top at his neck. I scream out in a real gutteral voice - Get Out of it! and they stay like they are. The things that ran through my mind were horrendous - anyway I get to them and they don't break apart but they aren't fighting? There is some blood though. My mind is searching for what is happening. My teen son arrives and we try and pull them apart. At one stage I think they Diego has locked onto Finn's throat but then Diego is looking up at me in a strange way. I go to grab his collar and it is tight as anything - I look and see that Finn's lower jaw has the collar wrapped around it and they are locked together. I try to unclip the collar (grateful that is is not a buckle collar but is the plastic clip in type) but it is too tight. So I put my hands under Finn and lift his head up closer to Diego to take the weight off the collar and Diego's neck. Thankfully my son was there and he was able to unclip it. The collar had been twisted around Finn's mouth so tight - there was no way they could have separated themselves.

Anyway, I think I am in a bit of shock at the situation. Also - I think they are as well. Once we freed them and gave them the once over, Diego immediately went to Finn and was licking Finn's mouth and basically saying are you ok. Finn has been very subdued since the incident (as has Diego but not as much) and while I can't see an injury - ie examined his mouth, teeth, tongue etc - I feel that he is not quite right. He is not reacting as if he is in pain ie sharp pain when I poke around but I am thinking that he may have a very sore jaw, neck, mouth from the collar, weight, struggle.

Could he be in shock do you think? The blood was from his mouth but that quickly subsided - pretty sure that the collar cut into his gum but no sign of an injury, swelling etc.

Does anyone have any advice? My thoughts are just to keep an eye on him for the rest of the day but am a little worried about shock?

Redland Bay, Queensland

Collars can be a hazard with full on play. I have had a similar situation with 2 of my dogs. 1 got caught in the others collar and they could not separate.
    Keep an eye on them and wait for any developing mouth ulcers or lumps that may not develop till later on. They've had quite a shock by the sound of it so will be subdued for a while, at least till they have another big play session.
    Is Finn eating and drinking normally ?  14

Dogs do go into shock. They don't die from it as easily as budgies tho.

It just depends how bad the injuries are and how much blood has been lost and if any damage has been done to the neck and spinal cord...

I get very worried when I see dogs with slip collars playing like that at the park. Owners don't realise the danger until it happens.

There is something on the market called a "break away collar" that might provide a solution for dogs who like this kind of play and also dogs who are tied up and then do something dreadful like jump the fence and nearly strangle themselves.

My dog managed to hook herself in a post of my side gate - which has a picket top... Fortunately I was there to unhook her... and she's been very careful around that gate since.

Thanks for the replies. I have heard (and used) break away collars for my cat but didn't realise that you could get it on dogs collars too. Didn't realise the need until now.

I have attached a picture of the collar that he got caught up in. It was a nightmare really.

There is a lot to be said for taking collars off at home but it is a double edged sword really as if, for some reason, the gate is left open and the dogs get out then they will be easily identifiable and easily returned to our home.

My dog, Finn, is still very subdued. If he hasn't improved in the morning, I think a vet trip will be in order.

Screenshot 2015-07-24 21.29.13.jpg

What a horrible experience for you all. Yes, you would ALL have been in shock, to some degree after an adrenlalin rush like that.

Hope you have all come back down O.k and things are much better tonight. Finn will have at least severe bruising and abrasions, so would be pretty sore even with out more serious injuries, Diego too, though shouldn't be as bad.

Sounds like you all did well handling it, the dogs too if they were holding reasonably still after you got there.
    Last edited by Strange fruit; 07-24-2015 at 10:08 PM.

Thank you. Yes, the dogs did really well once we got to them - no struggling and waited really until we worked out how to help them. Finn still subdued today but ate his breakfast (we only feed him in the morning) without issue so that is a good sign. I have noticed this morning that the white area on one of Diego's eyes is very red. Doesn't seem to worry him and is not swollen so will monitor it closely as well. They had a bit of a play today until Finn walked off gingerly. Thanks for everyone's replies. I really appreciate it!

melbourne australia

collars for dogs that rough it are lethal.
    i dont have mine on at home for this reason, as all my dogs rough house.

Occasionally, and i mean occasionally, if the power balance is upset by a dog being under the weather, the other seizes the opportunity to get top dog status off the other, and this is when a fight can break out. Done n dusted in seconds, but god it sounds awful. And 20 seconds later, they've sorted it out, and are best pals again.

Standing still, very still is a high trigger point in a dog squaring up to another. Both dogs in shock by sound of things. And glad it ended well.

I wouldnt worry about not having a collar on a dog that ran out of a gate, when does anyone ever take a dog home these days when the warden can earn $150 by taking it to a pound. Seriously ive had a warden remove the dog from my front door step and take it to a pound! when he had his address on the tag!
    So dont let this notion stop you not wearing a collar.

Geelong, Vic

I have 7 dogs together and collars are a no no here for that very reason. I would take both dogs to the vet as swelling can constrict the throat and airways.

Thread Information