Thread: Help with adding a new puppy to the family

Default Help with adding a new puppy to the family

Hi, I'm not sure if anyone will be able to clear up any doubts for me, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

My partner and I have a beautiful - but shy - 10-month-old cat. A few days ago we decided to expand the family and add a puppy (8 weeks old when we got him, he's a mix of a bunch of different breeds - mostly Maltese and Japanese Spitz apparently). He's relatively well behaved, already knows to sit for food and is starting to get the hang of toilet training. However he does whine a lot (which we try to ignore to stop it from becoming a habit) and is a bit of an attention hog. Because of this and the training, I feel like he gets more attention than the cat at the moment, and because of that I'm absolutely wracked with guilt. Even though the cat is bigger than the puppy and the puppy is super calm around her, she just runs and hides and it makes me feel awful. I don't know if I'm imagining it, but I feel like she's jealous.

Is this feeling of guilt normal? And is there anything I should be doing differently? Have we made a bad decision in getting this puppy? Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading.

Wow. I think you're expecting a bit too much from everybody and every critter in such a short time.

Cats mostly are not attention seekers, they like to do their own thing and come out in their own time and if you try to rush things - it just takes them longer to get used to the idea.

Puppies - like to sleep a lot so that should give you time to get some cat affection in. Ie puppy wakes up - you take puppy out for potty time, play with puppy (do some basic training), for 10 minutes (5 minutes per month of age is enough exercise for a puppy in one session), take puppy out for potty again (act boring) then put puppy away. Now you can play with cat. Cat probably won't be interested unless it's her idea. But you can play with a fun toy without the cat and let her get over it.

I would not expect everybody to be friends for at least a month. As long as you stop the puppy from following the cat everywhere, and stop the cat from seeking out and beating up the puppy - should be all good.

Western Sydney

JarradB welcome to the forum,

I wouldn't worry about the cat at all...I don't have any...enjoy your puppy...Dogs are great.
    Chloe & Zorro
    Rottweilers and German Shepherds are Family

I've had my 10 week old pup for just under 1 week. I also have several cats. I've set up a baby gate system so the pup is confined and the cats can see the puppy and even go in her zone but can leave if they want. She can see and watch them and other activity around the house. I let her out of the baby gated area throughout the day so she can roam with the cats. I praise her when she's good to them and I never yell at the cats or smack them if they hiss and spit, I just step Inbetween and put puppy back in safe zone. I've also put one of puppy's blankets in with the cats and vice versa.

I make sure I spend equal time, well as much as possible with each. When pup is asleep I tend to sit with the cats and watch tv or play with them. The cats sleep on the bed, so bedroom is no go zone for pup, and the cats get quality one on one time with me still.

Puppy gate (baby gate). They can see each other and cats can come and go over the top

Thread Information