Thread: Introducing new dogs not going well

Default Introducing new dogs not going well

I've recently starting dating a guy who has an entire male bull terrier (I've told him he should neuter him), I have 2 desexed female pugs.
    The male dog WILL NOT stop harassing one of my pugs. He is constantly nosing her, humping her and she retaliates by screaming (she doesn't growl, it's a high pitch "scream" that comes out) and attacking him. He doesn't show any aggression toward her (he runs scared when she screams but then bounces around like he wants to play) , but given his size (him 25kg, her 6kg), she can't physically overpower him and is becoming very stressed when around him. It's turning her into a very anxious angry dog and I hate seeing her like that. (Making me a very stressed mummy too!)
    we did the whole meet in mutual territory thing with a long walk and they are fine like that, them walk side by side on lead with no problem, but once they are in a yard or house, it's all on.
    He follows her around the yard while she's trying to go toilet and literally eats her poo while she's doing it (gross, yes), or tries to lick or hump her while she's doing a wee. So we have to separate them almost at all times which is pretty difficult.
    At night we tried separating with a gate which he broke through and was harassing her all night (kept us up with her screaming all night) so we separated him into the laundry on his own where he ended up yelping and barking all night. I'm not a happy camper when I've had no sleep.

We need our dogs to get along if we have any hope of making the relationship work. It's not an option to leave our dogs unattended for days/nights on end as it's unfair to them, obviously.

For the record, I have dog-sit about 20 different dogs of all breeds in the past and have never had an issue with her being aggressive toward any of them, or them toward her. If anything it's a one time sort out the pack leader and then nothing more, most of those dogs she'd never met before being thrown into her house for weeks on end, however ALL have been desexed. Do you think the bull terrier being entire is the main cause? He doesn't seem interested in my other girl (lowest in the pack) will sniff her occasionally and if she's annoyed, she'll chomp her teeth at him and he walks away.

Is there any expert advice anyone can offer as to how we get these two dogs to get along? Have read everything possible but it's all how to deal with aggression from both sides which isn't happening. Its humpy behavior that's causing the problems, he's 5yrs old though so I'm not sure even neutering him will help anymore.

Rural Western Australia

That is a tricky one. Might be time for some crate training especially at night and when your female wants to toilet. Crates are very useful when it comes to managing a situation like that. My dogs love sleeping in their crates at night.

Some entire males can be a pain in the butt that way although not all will be like that. The huge size difference doesnt help with your female being unable to give him his marching orders adequately.

Does the boy get plenty of exercise and does he get trained? Might also need to get a training program in place for him where he learns to leave her alone, you will need to find something else of value to him for this process.

If your boyfriend doesnt want to castrate the dog you can give him an injection to dampen the effect of testosterone. I have several friends with stud dogs who do this and it definitely makes a difference. It will also give you a chance to see if it will affect his behaviour. It shouldnt take the place of training though but it might help.

Expert advice?

erm. If you post what your nearest town or city is or state - we might be able to recommend someone who is qualified (has done behavioural science at uni or at least National Dog Trainers Federation).

So for some completely amateur advice which you can pick and choose from...

I've recently starting dating a guy who has an entire male bull terrier (I've told him he should neuter him),
    I'm not sure neutering will help if you let this dog continue the unacceptable behaviour. I know a few bull terriers who are absolutely delightful if they've actually been trained. Most of them will do ANYTHING for food and you can use that to your advantage. Ie train something that the bull terrier can do - but is incompatible with harassing your dogs. Like sit on a mat over there. Get treats

I think he's definitely friendly or your dogs would be dead, but he's got no idea about his own strength or where his back end is or any kind of "body awareness" or how to be gentle. So you (or your BF) can train all that.

A book / website that can really help with training a bull terrier (and probably the pugs too)... Any dog that likes to do their own thing... (you have to click through the cover page to get to the good stuff)
    Website for Jane Killion, author of When Pigs Fly!: Training Success With Impossible Dogs

She has a dvd, online training, sometimes she comes to visit for seminars... and her specialty is training bull terriers. I have a friend who has trained her bull terrier to do agility, obedience and tracking and is now a tracking champion - using Jane's methods.

So first off - list of bad behaviours
    He is constantly nosing her, humping her
    He follows her around the yard while she's trying to go toilet and literally eats her poo
    (separated) where he ended up yelping and barking all night.
    You gotta prevent or interupt all these naughty behavours - except the yelling all night is trickier...

Don't let him sniff your dog, just interupt, send him to a designated mat or place he can be and reward that.

Teach collar grab - so you can grab him and he will be thrilled about it.

This year, Susan Garrett is making her core games for recallers eg crate games and collar grab available for free
    there's a link on this page or find her on facebook.
    Susan Garrett Agility Training

So if he starts following your pugs - just interrupt, grab his collar, send him to his mat or where ever you want him to be and give a treat or a pat/ear rub /praise.

So he never gets to follow her around and he learns there are better things to do instead.

You definitely want to crate train too. Crate training will give your pugs a safe place to go and be, and will also allow him to be with you but in a place where he can't cause trouble. I've got a crate set up in my lounge room, and my dog can go in there when she wants and sometimes she just wants a nice dark den that's safe.

A bull terrier could probably bust his way out of any crate he wants to - mesh or soft sided - maybe not a show trolley... so you need to train him to love being in there. And then gradually build duration for him to love being in there with the door closed. Or you can put the crate in the laundry so his nice safe place is with him.

I have another crate that lives in my car so if there's any situation I need to leave my dog for a bit and I can't leave her in the car (too hot)... I can set the crate up somewhere safe and shady or inside - and leave her there. And small children and old men can't reach in and touch her (unless they open the crate - in my experience - they don't do that without asking first).
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 06-26-2015 at 11:15 AM.

cheap crates here - last about four years
    Dog Cages and Crates for Dog in Australia |

sturdy expensive ones here - I like the caprice because it comes with side covers for all sides. If you're training barking dog to be quiet in crate - you cover up the crate until dog stops barking and then if dog is quiet, you can open a cover a little bit.. if no barking - can open it some more. Note - with mesh crates - my dog would pull the cover in and eat it. So you need to put cardboard moving box under the cover so the dog can't pull the cover in and the cardboard holds it away from the sides.
    K9+ Soft Dog Crates : Australia

melbourne australia

Please purchase a crate. It will manage all you describe, avert reinforcing the behaviours you want to remove, whilst you await expert training.
    I own a 50kg GSD, a 48kg Rottie, and we also had a 55kg mastiff here. All are under the thumb of my mates small white fluffy, who's got the 'tude' of a Goddess and doesnt take prisoners. So size is not a real issue.

The lad sounds friendly, and socially inept to me. Not aggressive. But a serious pain in the ass to your smaller dog. Training can redeem this behaviour fast.
    so treatable, and you have some great ingredients: a friendly dog, who if he's true to breed, will prefer tasty treats, and a other dog who is trained to demo correct behaviour. BOTH dogs now require training. He, to 'tone it down' and her to not respond aggressively.

Castration in older dogs: rarely helps with unwanted behaviours that are ingrained and reinforced over months/years. Training works though.

Handling 2 dogs, is very different to handling 1. A trainer will help enormously, with you acquiring necessary skills to overcome the issues now in both dogs, simultaneously.

And partner can assist hopefully with at least 50% of the problem.

Thread Information