Thread: preventing dog bites - series of articles. (USA based)

Default preventing dog bites - series of articles. (USA based)

USA dog bite statistics.

List of articles on dog bite prevention.

recognising risky situations (upset dog)

list of tips to help children avoid being bitten.
    Dog bite prevention: top ten scenarios to avoid
    We love to pet dogs, and most dogs love to be petted. But there also are times when we shouldn’t pet a dog. Here’s a list of when you should avoid petting a dog, whether the dog is yours or someone else’s.

•If the dog is not with its owner.
    •If the dog is with its owner but the owner does not give permission to pet the dog.
    •If the dog is on the other side of a fence, don’t reach through or over a fence to pet the dog.
    •If a dog is sleeping or eating.
    •If a dog is sick or injured.
    •If a dog is resting with her puppies or seems very protective of her puppies and anxious about your presence.
    •If a dog is playing with a toy.
    •If the dog is a service dog. Service dogs are working animals and shouldn’t be distracted while they are doing their jobs.
    •If the dog is growling or barking.
    •If the dog appears to be hiding or seeking time alone in its special place.

Only one problem with training the child how to behave around a dog - is despite your best effots - children often completely ignore their parents with no bad consequence and they will try this with dogs and their parents. And it won't work with all dogs.

And this one for those who

"Never saw it coming" and "Never thought my dog would do that" and "Never done that before".

I do like this one:

Avoid Dog Bites | Videos | Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS

The stats are just as scary here in Australia.

Facebook stories are a PITA to share on forums - blog posts are so much easier but here goes...

I'm getting a lot of questions about dogs that growl when playing. How do you tell the difference between play and aggression?

It's in the body language.

Notice the stillness of this dog (and watch how his behavior begins to escalate when the person behind the camera keeps pressing the dog):
    (H says: Chihuahua vs idiot male - which explains why nearly every dog bite requiring hospital treatment, that's not a child - is a man).

In spite of the owner claiming this dog is "playing," the dog's body language says otherwise:
    (H says: Teasing a lab about food, he's going to be so surprised when he gets bitten but I won't be).

Now this dog (boxer) is growling at his owner, but notice the bouncy movement:

Playful body language tends to be bouncy - Patricia McConnell refers to an "inefficiency of movement." Lots of big, bouncy movements that would be wasted if the dog were attempting to either capture prey or defend itself.

Parker's preferred attention-seeking behavior is to roll on his back, kick his legs in the air, and growl at me. Now, looking at this body language, I think everyone would agree that this is about the least threatening position a dog can offer, even though his teeth are showing and he is growling. (photo on the fb post)

Remember that old wives' tail about tug-of-war causing aggression? That likely comes from misunderstanding the growl that some dogs emit when they are having a REALLY good time playing tug.
    (H says Bad dog trainer by Susan Garrett - both are having a ball but lots of barking and growling

Just as we have variations in our language (soda, pop, cola, etc.), dogs will vary slightly in their body language, but if your dog is growling and you see that stiff, tense body language, you can be pretty sure they aren't playing!

Don't assume a dog is friendly just because they're wagging their tail and don't assume they are aggressive just because they growl. Look at the WHOLE DOG.

Western Sydney

I take no notice of stats at all...I always laugh when the media claims GSDs are a dangerous breed because eg 30 people have been bitten in the last say 12 months...what the don't say is that there are 46000 + registered GSDs in NSW and who knows how many cross breeds and unregistered GSDs so the stats just don't make sense.

I would say in most cases the owner is the the video by Dr Yin I can see the GSD has never been raised correctly because if so the dog wouldn't behave like this...I doubt this dog has ever been socialized first impression. When people see this video they think all GSDs are like this is very sad...if every one raised their dogs correctly and trained their kids how to behave around dogs we wouldn't have these problems...but we know that's never going to happen. The GSD could just be scared because of all the people and cameras in the house as many of these videos are scripted.

As for the Chihuahua people say they are scared of big dogs...I'd be scared of that little bastard...give me a Rottie or GSD any day.
    Last edited by Dogman; 05-24-2015 at 10:05 AM.
    Chloe & Zorro
    Rottweilers and German Shepherds are Family

Thread Information