Thread: Adult dog peeing near bed but not potty area

Default Adult dog peeing near bed but not potty area

Hi all, I am new to this forum and my dog is 'new'. When I say 'new' it's because she is new to the household.
    I adopted Sandy a while ago from the pound. She is 10 years old and came house trained. Initially she had a few 'accidents' at home, but after a few common tips and tricks I picked up online, she seems to now understand that she needs to pee and poop outside.

When she is left alone in the house, even for an hour or so, she still have accidents and it can be anywhere in the house, so I want to train her to pee at a designated area in the house, which had started as a pee pad and now a potty patch I bought. Whether it's anxiety or old age I understand she is old and I cannot expect her to hold her pee/poop all the time, so all I expect is that when she needs to potty inside the house she knows where to go.

As I live alone and work 3 days a week, I need to train her to (1) understand sometimes she needs to be alone for a long period of time in a day and (2), when she needs to pee when I cannot let her out, there is a specific spot in the house for it.

I did that by confining her in a small area, she's a very small dog and that rectangular space is equivalent to what will be 3 crates area for a dog her size. There is one area for her bed where I put her blankets and cushion, another area I always feed her in and a 3rd area furthest from bedding for potty. She's done OK with the area most of the time, as she also sleeps there when the area is not 'blocked'/confined, she is comfortable in her bed, and also knows that's where she always get fed.

However, when I come home from work, I always found that she had pees in her eating/ sleeping area - basically anywhere except the designated peeing area. I have to clean her bedding every day, sometimes 2 times a day and I'm pretty tired of that. I've tried all the tricks in the book, clean soiled area with vinegar, throughly clean the sheets, change the sheets. I rub the training pad/ potty patch with her pee and sometimes leave the paper towel that was used to clean the mess on top of the pad/patch so she can read the 'neon' sign - 'this is where you pee', but still it doesn't work and she still chooses to pee on the floor near her bed and food (then the pee goes everywhere and I have to clean her bed) She is definitely comfortable in the area she is confined in there as she goes in and out during the day when not confined, and given the rest of her potty practise, I believe it's not a health issue - after all, I'm not expecting her to hold, just trying to get her to understand that peeing is NOT near the bed or eating area. I thought dogs will instinctively avoid there and pee as far away from bed as possible.

Any other suggestions? I am going quite insane from daily cleaning. I don't really want to use a crate on her because she is old and keeping her inside for a few hours I believe she'll just pee out of desperation and re-enforce the idea that she'll pee near where she sleeps.

Is she desexed?

She might have something called "spey incontinence" that comes as a desexed bitch gets older. So she might not mean to go anywhere but she can't help it. Especially for leaks in her sleep...

A vet can help with drugs for treating "spey incontinence". But I'm not sure - if you think it's not a "health issue".

I think a check up with the vet would be a good idea. And if you can catch a pee sample that would be great. I had to do that with my dog yesterday - I took her outside and followed her around with a rectangular chinese takeaway container that I showed her, and waved around her body a few times, and then when she finally squatted ... shoved it under her tail between her legs - worked perfectly. She was a bit surprised but didn't move off.

Other suggestions - put a tarp and lots of bath mats down to catch the pee and manage the problem... and keep her in a confined area when you're not able to supervise.

Hey Hyacinth, thank you for your suggestions. Yes she is desexed. She has just been vet checked last week, no issues. Anyway, as I said it's nothing to do with her holding her pee. She is not peeing in the bed, just near the bed. As mentioned, she has plenty of space in the small area, she could have chosen to pee far from the bed and food bowl (which you would think is her instinct) or right next to the bed and food bowl, but she always seems to choose the latter, which is the part that is frustrating me. It's not even halfway point, sometimes it's so close to the food bowl it perplexes me no end. She's an old indoors dog clearly used to indoor behaviours - why would a dog like that choose to pee close to her food or in the area where she gets fed everyday?

I found a small old bedside table to raise her bed and will put lots of pads under it, so when she pees at least the urine won't flow to the underside of the bed and I won't have to keep washing it. The least I can hope for is eventually she'll associate that corner to be acceptable pee area in the house. This is just management, someone else suggested no sheets in that corner at all which seems a bit harsh but if I have no choice I will try that too. Will also get diapers for her but that's also 'management' only.

We had 2 dogs or similar breed they lived till the age of 12, they are house trained and know that x hours are for pee and poop outdoors but when they cannot hold whilst indoors, or when mum wasn't home in time to take them out, there is an area in the house where they go. They had rarely failed that routine and over 12 years hardly any accident so I know it is possible, just that the housetrain method we had used for them seem to be failing for this old girl, thus I'm seeking other ideas.

Anyway, I hope no one will try and tell me to get a dog walker, it's expensive long term and in rescuing her from being put down, I'm giving her a better outcome but I cannot afford on going regular dog walking.

Hi Citizen1911

When you took your dog to the vet - did you discuss specifically the pee problems and the possibility of spey incontinence? Or treatment of it?

I find if I forget to mention something at the vet (I take a list, if it's a planned visit) - I forget to ask the right question.

Vets are human. They also like to keep their customers happy. Eg if you don't ask exactly the right question - sometimes they will only discuss what is specific to that visit eg vaccination and other problems do not get discussed.

Ok - I actually worked out how to train her. It's definitely not a health issue. I'm writing it here in case anyone else has a same problem. Our family had many dogs over the years and we had trained all of them to know an area in the house where they are allowed to potty AND know to potty when they go out morning and evening. This is very useful for those who need to train a old dog when they start to have bladder problems.
    My dog is old- I started by confining her to a small area, with plenty space to sleep, eat and potty. As mentioned, at the start she just potty anywhere, even near her bed.
    I raised her bed so that if she potty near her bed the pee flows under the bed and I won't have to wash it everyday.
    Then I padded the whole area with training pad.
    When she pottys on the pad, she gets rewarded.
    Soon I put other materials on the ground (e.g. plastic lids of a plastic carton), where she can walk on ok, but not easy for her to 'spin around' and potty, so she preferred to potty on the training pad.

It's been 5 days - knock wood. She's now successfully potty-ing on her training pad far from her bed. Success :-)

Thread Information