Thread: Hello from a new pup mum-to-be!

Default Hello from a new pup mum-to-be!

We are from Melbourne, Vic and will be getting our first golden retriever puppy in December! My husband and I originate from outside Australia but as of February this year have decided to call Melbourne home! Both of us have grown up with dogs all our lives but this is the first time we are getting a puppy, so really looking forward to asking a lot of questions and getting to know some of you!

We have a 15 month old son as well and he gets along very well with our 2 cats, and hoping to introduce him to a pup from an early age as we understand how important it is to teach mutual understanding and respect with animals.

Now, how do I make the next 6 weeks go faster? Haha, I'm kidding (maybe!)...

Welcome to the forum

Golden Retrievers are great dogs, wonderful family dogs!

Waiting for a puppy is so hard, no idea how to make the next 6 weeks go faster :P

You could do lots of reading up and video watching of how to set up your house and how to train a puppy...

I think you have to sign up for this one - it's free and there's loads of great info on it.
    Before You Get Your Puppy | Dog Star Daily

And do a youtube search for kikopup - heaps of great training stuff.

Thank you both!

maddogdodge - Oh yes, we have admired the golden retriever breed for a while now, and we nearly put our names down on a waiting list when we were still living in Europe (where we moved from) but decided against it and glad we didn't as we ended up moving here just months later. 6 weeks does seem long but it's one day down now... another x number of days left! LOL! Kidding, I'm not one to count the days (unless it's under 10 days!). We did do some cleaning up of the living room this morning which I had been meaning to do for a while, and have decided where to place the exercise pen and crate

Hyacinth - thank you for the suggestions! I downloaded the Ian Dunbar books yesterday night and will be reading it over the next few weeks! Have been perusing the forums to get some more info about training (we are taking it seriously) and have started looking at places that offer good puppy pre-school around our area. I'll check out the YouTube videos too!

Hope you both are having a lovely Sunday! It is starting to look like a beautiful day here now!

Bundaberg QLD

Hi Sephie

Hope all goes well with the new puppy. Feel free to post up lots of photos of your new fur baby and ask as many questions as you like. Theres no such thing as a stupid question here.

I'm a big fan of crate training. Google will have lots of info as well as older threads on this forum as well. It makes toilet training much easier and gives pup their own safe place when it needs some time out. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...

Thread Information