Thread: Sleeping arrangements for new pup

Question Sleeping arrangements for new pup

I am getting a new puppy later this year and was wondering where it should sleep. I have heard that letting your puppy sleep in your room can cause separation anxiety. Is this true? Other people let their dogs sleep in their bed. Is this okay also? What do you recommend for sleeping arrangements?

Thanks in advance,

Separation anxiety can be caused by all kinds of things. But what you have been told is probably correct, spending so much time with their owner may result in some dogs getting separation anxiety.

My dog is an outside dog (not my choice... family house rules) but I have a firm belief that if my dog was allowed to spend his nights in my room and spend all day around me... knowing his personality, he could have ended up with separation anxiety.

When I have my own place and the dogs area allowed inside, I will have a crate (with the door open) for each dog probably in my room or in the lounge room and that is where they will sleep . I might occasionally let them on the bed, but only by my invitation.

It really depends on your pup's personality, some dogs will get it, some won't.

Townsville, QLD

My boy sleeps on his bed in my room on the floor - but not on the bed unless he's invited too. I don't really trust him outside at night here - toads and snakes being the main issue, I feel much better knowing he's locked inside.

I think separation anxiety is more dependant on how you introduce the dog to being alone vs what you do when you're home. Every time I'm leaving the house and leaving him alone, he gets a treat or a bone. That way he learns that me asking him to go outside means he'll get something good out of it too. I think the worst mistake people make is not giving the dog enough to do while you're gone - raw bones are great for this because they last forever. You hear of these horror stories about dogs destroying furniture while the owners are out, but when you look at it, you can't see a toy or anything in sight. My boy still chews on bones a few days old with no meat left on them when there could be a fresh one sitting right there. He spends a lot of time in the house and around me - but he has no problem just walking out and laying in the yard/on his bed on his own accord.

Our puppy was sleeping in our bedroom from day 1 and we never had problems with separation anxiety. But he was also left alone at home for a little while every day. We started out with a couple of hours and worked our way up. When alone he was safe in our laundry with kongs and toys and tired out from a play session before we left.

Have a look at this article on separation anxiety and how to counteract it in puppies. It's pretty good:

My puppy - I tried leaving her out in the kitchen on her first night - but she screamed the house down. So I put her in a card board box with old towels and a lead from her collar under me to the other side of the bed... so if she got up - she'd wake me up, and I could take her out for a poop or pee.

When puppys are 8 to 14 weeks or so - they need to go out maybe twice a night for a pee or a poop. If you can set an alarm and take them out on schedule - it really helps with toilet training and preventing accidents. And I don't like cleaning much.

So when she was in the bed next to me - she didn't scream and was quite happy. Sep anx completely cured. Sort of...

I don't let her sleep in my bed. I know what she uses for coat conditioner and I don't want that in my bed. I do let her sleep on top of my bed spread occasionally - tho she did eat a hole in it as a puppy so it has risks.

Lots of good puppy info including what to do before you bring your puppy home on - Ian Dunbar's site.
    It is aimed a bit at city living but take what you need from it. Crate and pen training is helpful anywhere you live. Especially if your dog injures itself and needs some quiet time. If it can be happy in a crate - that makes it so much eaiser. And as a puppy it limits how much trouble the puppy can get into.

I think these days you have to sign up for access but it's all free and totally worth the effort.
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 10-09-2014 at 09:18 PM.

WE tried Maggie in the laundry then discovered she is afraid of the dark. She was quick to toilet train, reliable by 12 weeks so now she sleeps on the floor by my bed. It started when she got sick briefly and I wanted to keep an eye on her and the bed stayed there. It is only a problem if she rolls in something manky at the

Thread Information