Thread: dog won't eat

Default dog won't eat

my dog has lost his appetite. he is usually fed twice a day (dog kibble) but for some reason he has stopped. yesterday he only ate one meal and he hasn't eaten anything all day today.

i'm not too keen on taking him to a vet but how long do you think i should wait?

he looks/acts completely fine otherwise.

I'd be going to the vet if he doesn't eat by tomorrow morning. In general it depends on how food obsessed your dog is... Koda skipped dinner once but was fine the next day... but if he skipped two days in a row, i'd panic!!!

Look for discoloured gums, dry nose etc are they ok ?

If you have some tuna in the pantry or fridge try that. Most dogs will have a go at the fishy oily stuff. If he doesnt eat soon i'd be popping into the vet for a check up.

Might also pay to have a look around the yard and make sure he hasnt been chewing on a dead bird or cat .....somthing he may have caught during thye day when you whern't looking.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
    DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

gums and nose are good. i think he's holding out until he gets something better than kibble.

My boy was the same, but being a husky I wasn't overly concerned as apparently it's extremely common. He went 3 days without eating once but he seemed fine. Think it was a combination of boredom with his food, and just not needing to eat. As long as he still seems active he's probably just bored of his food?

Is there a chance that he is finding food elsewhere? Our Rox stopped being interested in meals for a while because she sourced fresh baby rabbits from a nest under our house

I guess my reaction would depend on what's on offer. If Nero refuses to eat kibbles... meh. If he turned down chicken I'd be in panic mode!

I am with Sean, their gums go pale, nose dry and coat dull amazingly quickly. But I would have a concern that there is something stuck in the throat maybe. Vet tomorrow if it woz me.

My dogs managed to get into their bag of kibble yesterday so they wouldn't eat dinner and I gave them no kibble for Breakfast. Sometimes Bruno is a little bit fussy and will eat his kibble but thumb his nose up at fresh beef steaks which he would normally wolf down. I think also that my kids occasionally sneak bits of dinner to them at night - caught my 18 month old giving Bruno most of his BBQ sausages. By the time I could say anything, it was gone and Joseph loved the fact that he fed Bruno (Doggy)..
    The tuna/sardine trick has worked before for me. Cooked boneless chicken (without skin) does the trick too. Sometimes I mix favourite kibble on top of what is usually eaten for dinner - just to get the gastro juices flowing.

Otherwise - if you are really concerned, pop of to the vet as others have suggested.

All the best

Adrian

4 days, and your dog is in danger/vet visit. If all else was fine, id go on day 4.

Thread Information