Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 11 weeks old pup

he has plenty of chew toys but sometime he just gets to aggressive when playing or just growls at me if i stare or look at him? i dont put my finger in his mouth, he just tries to come and chew my fingers

If you have the time, you could hand feed your pup all his food throughout the day as rewards for behaviour your want to enforce. That could include just lying down calmly and licking your hand instead of biting and stuff. I've never done this, but I can see why some trainers recommend it. It will very quickly teach your pup that all good things come from you and that they'd better pay attention and learn what they need to go to get fed.

how can i calm zorro down? usually very hypo at night time when im about to go to bed(he sleeps with us inside)

Do you exercise him in the evenings? Puppies recharge well so when they sleep during the day/evening, they wake up with a lot of energy, whatever time it may be.

I replied to your email but haven't heard back...

20140901_120807.jpg

only one photo others are to big to upload?

yeah we exercise him around 4pm until 5:30-6pm, but i heard mind simulations are needed for puppies to learn? whats mind stimulation?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pawfectionist View Post
    Do you exercise him in the evenings? Puppies recharge well so when they sleep during the day/evening, they wake up with a lot of energy, whatever time it may be.

I replied to your email but haven't heard back...
    i emailed you back

I love these two books...I know one is a little late, but you will still learn

They are free downloads, aren't we lucky by Ian Dunbar, please read

Free downloads | Dog Star Daily
    Pets are forever

whats mind stimulation?
    That's engaging the dog's brain and encouraging it to think and problem solve.

My fave way to do this is trick training and shaping new tricks.

I also roll some of my dog's dry food up in a bath mat for her to figure out how to get all the bits. I put some in a bob a lot which she has to beat up to get the food out of...

Basic training also engages the puppy. With shaping - you're training the puppy to problem solve and try new things "offer behaviours" until you let the puppy know they've done something you like and you say "yes" and give the puppy a treat... you also train the puppy (and hopefully yourself) how to work through the frustration of not getting a reward (getting it wrong or failing). Ideally that comes after the puppy has successfully performed the behaviour you want and then you start making it more difficult like adding distractions *or* (not and) asking for longer duration of the trick.

The more problem solving your puppy does - even if you finish a session and they haven't got it "right", the more you wear the puppy out. Thinking burns a lot of calories and is quite tiring.

Idea List for Shaping | Susan Garrett's Dog Training Blog

http://susangarrettdogagility.com/20...to-the-future/

http://susangarrettdogagility.com/20...while-shaping/
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 09-19-2014 at 08:49 PM.

any toys simulate the brain, i got a kong for puppies and a puzzle ball but he doesnt seem too interested in them, tried many recall/name calling, training with him but wont listen to me

Thread Information