Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toys to keep a dog entertained for a long time?

Default Toys to keep a dog entertained for a long time?

Kongs are great, but Koda usually empties his Kong in no time... even if its frozen, he still seems to have it empty really quick. Anyone know of any toys that would keep a dog entertained for a long time (Eg. When i'm working... which consists of grooming a dog in my grooming area at home). I'm open to all suggestions, although the cheaper the better cause money is not something I have a lot of at the moment. Even DIY things, if they work, I want to hear about them

I've thought about the Kong wobbler, but i'd have to give him that in his yard cause he can't have food near Dodge, and he would probably lose all the food pieces in the grass...

We have a Wobbler and a Bob a Lot. But I don't know if they'd work on lawn. If the dry food you use in them is big enough, it may keep him entertained for longer if he then has to also get the food out of the grass? The Bob a Lot has the advantage that you can adjust the hole so you can use different sized food or just make it harder or easier for the food to come out. The Wobbler is much heavier though so would possibly work better on bumpy ground.

We also have a treat ball that you can put slightly larger food in. I usually put round dog treats from Aldi in it. My only gripe is that you can't properly wash it, so if it's left in the wet with food in it, it gets pretty grotty.

And we have a weird purple Kong toy that's a 3-point star shape with a deep groove on both sides that you stuff food in. You have to find the right size food to get the right challenge level though. I'm not hugely enthusiastic about it.

My daughter makes "puzzles" for the dogs sometimes, with cardboard boxes, paper and (lots of) packing tape. And food hidden inside. You may have to pick up lots of bits of cardboard from the lawn, but it's pretty cheap!

I never had success with plastic bottles with mine.

When we had the foster kelpie, I used to leave her one Kong, one of the food dispensing toys and a fresh bone for the day and she seemed to be fine with that.
    Last edited by Beloz; 09-09-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Well I know for a fact that Koda is always determined to find treats in the grass cause if I'm training him and I drop one, he will spend ages trying to find it. So perhaps a wobbler or bobalot wouldn't be that bad outside.

If I could be bothered to clean up the mess, Koda (and Dodge) would absolutely LOOOVE cardboard box puzzles... but i'm not so keen on the mess

Plastic bottles might be good. I better just try a bunch of different things... trial and error I guess.

I use a log that the dogs roll made of red gum. Its 8yrs old and still going strong
    I use empty drink plastic bottles as kongs by putting meat stock in them and freezing and chuck it to dog in morning after stabbing it, to let the stock melt out.
    I use bones tied up into trees
    Food hidden around the garden
    marrow bones! these go for a long time, loved by all 3 of my dogs truly hardy bones that last a day or 2.
    And if any of them find the buried kongs, they are welcome to play with them, kongs turn up every 3 years here, whether we were searching or not. Crappest toy i ever bought.

I was also going to suggest the bob-a-lot. I have one and my boy spends a good 45mins with a cup of dry food in it. And he's mastered it so it may take longer for a dog new to the bob-a-lot.
    Bob-a-lot - The Pawfectionist

You could also have a sandpit outside to dig in (treasure hunt)? Just don't let the rain get into it or the sand will be rock hard :P

I like the idea of bones up trees except we also have possums and don't want the dog climbing up trees looking for bones :P haha.

45 minutes with one cup of dog food? My dog takes less than 5 minutes to empty her bobalot with the lid as full as I can get it. And I make the kibble holes as small as they can go and still let the kibble through. She's quite energetic with it...

I like the idea of a bobalot, but I feel like Koda would empty it in no time (same with the kong wobbler).

He's developed a special method to get food out of his normal Kong. Instead of just licking at it like a normal dog, he actually picks it up, lifts his head as high as he can, and then throws his neck down while dropping the kong at the same time. Works every time, lol, he's too smart for his own good!

The only thing that doesn't work for is a frozen kong, but they melt pretty quick in summer and I don't wanna give him ice in winter.

I might just have to give him a bone or hide a bone or something when i'm working. He loves bones, but he does get through them mighty fast!

Its not a massive problem, he's not bored out of his brain, I was just looking for ideas to make things a little more interesting when i'm not around

Did you see that home made toy made out of spinning drink bottles with kibble in the bottom and the dog has to spin the bottle to get the kibble out the top...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203350977628488

Yes I saw that, I'm pretty sure I shared it here actually

I've been meaning to make one of those, just haven't got around to finding the time to do it... soon though haha!

You just need to show up to a footy oval after a game (tho might be a bit hard for the next month since grand finals are nearly or actually done).... collect some bottles...

I think you'd want to fix the spinners to something more secure than what that dog had. Clearly it was supervised so it couldn't just tip the thing over and eat through the bottles...

Thread Information