Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP NEEDED to convince council my dog is not a menace

Rural Western Australia

Quote Originally Posted by doortolife View Post
    I live in Sydney's eastern suburbs and over the years my dog has been bitten a few times; dogs are dogs. My large size desexed (not BSL) 7 year old dog got into a scuffle with a neighbour's dog when it was passing our entrance. It got a nick, she called the ranger, I got fined and my dog sent for assessment. He passed without problem as he is not aggressive, but is a dog! Twelve months have passed and now a woman says my dog attacked hers in the park. Mine was laying on the ground next to my husband when her dog came over and there was a scuffle. Whether her small dog attacked mine or visa verso I don't know. The woman was 20 metres away. She rang the ranger and now he is going to be classified as a menace, meaning he has to wear a muzzle. I am going to fight this unfair charge and am interested in talking to anybody who can offer help. Thanks
    I think the problem is that he has bitten before. Yes sure dogs are dogs, but it is 100% our responsibility to ensure that they dont bite particularly if we know they have a potential in certain situations to bite and we need to recognise this. Most of my dogs would not bite even if pushed. To me a dog that has a potential to bite, and I have had one, and beautiful and loving as she was, she needed to be managed and trained and not put in a situation where she may bite. There was a reactive aggression that was there in certain situations that is not in my other dogs.

Some dogs just need more management than others. Off lead parks can be a recipe for disaster if you have a dog that is reactive, because often people are not in control of their dogs and it is difficult to prove if it is your dog that bites.

Rangers and dog laws are relentless so we just have to make sure that we manage the situation and acknowledge that some dogs are more reactive than others and make sure we keep them safe.

I think that you do need to have a look at why and when your dogs is reacting.

I find that 80 individual emails to the council ward reps (in as many different wards as possible) by 80 different people - much more effective than a petition.

But it does help to get this done before council staff take action.

You need half + 1 of the councillors to be on your side. Eg if there are 12 councillors you need 7 to vote your way. The mayor can't vote unless there is a tie but might be able to provide advice - not much help if he doesn't like dogs or understand the situation.

With dogs - it's guilty until proven innocent.

In SA there is a local government ombudsman who may be able to help if the council have not followed their own policies properly.

And did you try Steve Courtney at K9 Pro - he has helped people in your situation before. But again - it's best to get that done before your dog is declared.

Geelong, Vic

Actually I think the order is nation wide or at least you have to declare to the council you are moving to that your original council has issued the order.

I have one of my dog school clients that has had her dog declared menacing and really, it's not too bad. A big roomy muzzle is not that bad, he doesnt have to wear a reflective collar he's just limited to not being off lead unless he is on private property - and since my schools IS private property he can be unmuzzled and off lead The only problem is the dogs are on a fine line. One more mess up and there are no second chances, that is more what you concern yourself with.

Thread Information